575 Shocks | FerrariChat

575 Shocks

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Themaven, Sep 23, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    How long do 575 shocks/dampers last? My 575, an 04 with FHP, has a little over 30,000 miles. Nothing to suggest there's anything wrong with the shocks and no leakages; and the techs who have driven her say she drives perfectly. However, the car has a comprehensive service history, and no evidence of shocks having been replaced before. What's the general lifespan of shocks on these cars? It's coming up to being 15 years old. Should I preemptively change them, or is that a total waste of £$? (I did this on some cars in the past, and it was a waste of £$).
    Is there any way of telling if shocks (and even springs) are less firm than they ought to be?
    No point in having a Ferrari if it's not set up perfectly, it's just that neither me nor anyone I know are familiar enough with enough FHP 575s to know what perfect actually is.

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Darius- Waste of money on a 575. Those Sachs shocks last a long time. If they are not leaking, I would not touch them. Your FHP has the same shocks as a standard 575M. If you wanted to replace them with HGTC shocks, that also entails buying all new mounting hardware since it is different from the early 575Ms.

3. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Thanks Taz. That's what I wanted to hear.

4. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    I had leaking shocks and went to the HGTC upgrade route. Had to add new HW as Taz said. Parts are documented on my Mods thread.

The shocks are not cheap. I would keep what you have unless really need them.

5. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Thanks for the info. No leaks, so I will stick with what I have.

6. Clyde Romero

Clyde Romero Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    Thanks Taz
    I was wondering myself with my 2003 with 32 k on it
    Drive on

7. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Our Sachs shocks are very tough. Unlike the 550's Bilstein shocks, the actuators for the adaptive part are internal and the actuators were not made by a venetian blind company. You get the occasional one that leaks, but those are rare. 599s, though...

8. Clyde Romero

Clyde Romero Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    Good to know
    I always thought Bilstein was a better product much like Koni

9. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Some Bilsteins are, some are not. I doubt Bilstein and Ferrari were thinking about these shocks lasting 18- 26 years (earliest 456s through latest 550s). Most shocks are disposable replacement items, but not when they cost as much as Ferrari parts do and some parts become NLA. So we fix them. Ferrari spent a ton on warranty work on the Bilsteins according to one of our pros, so they were not going to use them on the 360 or 575M.

10. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    When I had my shop I worked mostly on Mercedes The Bilstein's used by Mercedes typically lasted over 100,000 miles.

Maybe they changed in quality, I worked mostly on 70's and 80's cars.

I did change the OEM Ford shocks on my 2000 Excursion to Bilsteins as soon as I got it, a very popular mod, and they're still good after 75,000 miles.

11. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    According to Bilstein, the shocks leak because of the actuator rod and its seals which are not their design or parts.

12. srslusso

srslusso Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2005
    Encino,Ca.
    Full Name:
    Steve S.
    Is there a difference between the shocks & suspension on an early 2003 575 & a 2004 575
    Both stock ?

13. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    There were minor changes during production for early 575Ms, outlined in the document below. The later (around SN 13518X, AN 52556) added a steering position sensor like that fitted to the 456s and 550. This fed lead into turn information to the Shock ECU to stiffen the outside shock absorbers. There were no changes to the shocks for that mod and the shocks were not changed until much later, with the HGTC and late 575Ms changing shocks and mounting hardware. Also shown in the document below.

Attached Files:

14. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    I have a 2003 and upgraded to the HGTC shocks and springs from 2005. The difference is super subtle, I suspect the springs are more noticeable. I’ve also upgraded my ECU which is now super hard to find.

Given current cost vs seat of pants feeling, probably not worth the upgrade but it is an improvement.