Suzuka 2019: Pre-Race thread | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Suzuka 2019: Pre-Race thread

Discussion in 'F1' started by jgonzalesm6, Sep 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I’m not one of those super clever engineers, but I would like to see a pic of that wheel from the other side. From that view, we see the serrations on the inside of the rim. Is the reverse pattern reflected on the outside - i.e. the external surface on the inboard side surrounding the brake assembly? If so, perhaps that texture is meant to increase airflow and cooling around the rear and of the car.

Maybe?

2. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    aren't the zig zags on the rim inside the confines of the tire?

3. trumpet77 and 635CSI like this.
  4. A different tack entirely..... Maybe these "ribs" are to stiffen the rims shape.....less deformity under cornering, curb, etc. loads??? Image Unavailable, Please Login

jcurry likes this.
  5. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    That's easy for you to say.

trumpet77 and Jeronimo GTO like this.
  6. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    We'll have a day off. Time for a Ginger or Mary Ann poll, include Lovey Howell?

7. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Date Ginger, marry Mary Ann.

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  8. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Wouldn't they also create more surface area, thus more cooling?

9. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    F1 app says about 23 hours until qualifying, which puts it Saturday night at 5:00 PM Alaska time, 9:00 PM Eastern time. Still just a guess at this point on time and broadcast channel? Will it even be live broadcast?

10. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I don’t know. ESPN would certainly have to shift its schedule around.

11. Fo' sho'.

But the inner ones? Where's the heat being transferred to? The same, already hot, air (nitrogen...whatever)..... :)

'Just a thought outside the box (and inside the tires ;)).....

12. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Would it not act like a heat sink, then the wheel that is exposed to the air would help increase cooling?

13. 8:55 PM tonight (eastern) ESPN NEWS per TVRacer

Mule likes this.
  14. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Quali?

15. The rim was already that heat sink (brake temp hotter than tire temp). That's why the theory that the ribs (outside) help dissipate. But what of the "Z"s on the inside?

Ala The Mask....."Somebody help meee...." :)

Yes, quali.

www.tvracer.com

16. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Absolutely we are pining for our race but Japan is getting drenched and already four are dead or missing.
    It might be a major challenge to have a race tomorrow with flooding generated issues but Japanese efficiency will do wonders.

On a lighter note the weather lady seems to have taken Eengulish lehssonzs from Takuma Sato:D

jjmalez likes this.
  17. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    The weather lady is calling for about 600mm of rain in the prefecture where Suzuka is. That's about 2 feet in old money. Depending upon when it falls, and the drainage system at the track, the area around turn 1 (the low point of the track where the detention ponds are) and the underpass could easily be flooded. We'll see. Hopefully, there will be little or no wind damage.

18. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/146536/ferrari-admits-driver-situation-wont-get-any-easier

Ferrari Formula 1 team boss Mattia Binotto expects to have to manage Sebastian Vettel and Charles Leclerc on-track again despite resolving their Sochi "misunderderstanding".

Russian Grand Prix poleman Leclerc gave Vettel a tow at the start of the race and did not defend into the second corner, allowing Vettel to pass the Mercedes of Lewis Hamilton and rise from third to first.

That meant Ferrari's plan to hold the first two positions after the first lap succeeded, but Vettel was supposed to let Leclerc back ahead and then ignored a specific in-race instruction to do so.

Ahead of this weekend's Japanese GP, both drivers said that post-Russia meetings at the team's Maranello headquarters have cleared up the situation - which Leclerc called a misunderstanding.

Addressing those meetings, and whether he is confident of avoiding a repeat of the situation that arose in Russia, Binotto said: "First, it's not the first time we are speaking in Maranello.

"It's true that I met both of them. We had positive, constructive, honest, fair, transparent discussions with both of them, individually.

"I think what happened in Sochi [was] nothing really bad but certainly something that needs to be improved and addressed.

"But how much I'm confident it will not happen [again]? I'm not at all.

"These are both very good drivers. They are all going for a single objective which is winning themselves.

"But I think what again is more important is that at least we between us we've got clarity and fairness and I think that's key."

19. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ