California 2010 burning to much gas? | FerrariChat

California 2010 burning to much gas?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by JosephFIN, Sep 12, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JosephFIN

JosephFIN Rookie

Sep 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    Joseph al Sharif
    Hi,

I just bought 2010 year old California, I am not sure but I think that there are some problems. I had filled my car and had 8 bars of 9 bars on the gas indicator, drove 60 miles and had left only 4 bars of gas. I drove my car using comfort and no crazy accelerating, using automatic mode. Also the car has sometimes ruff idle, almost the whole car shakes. Not sure if this is normal ?

2. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Half a tank in 60 miles is not normal, and it should not run rough like you describe.

How many miles are on the car?

tomc likes this.
  3. JosephFIN

JosephFIN Rookie

Sep 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    Joseph al Sharif
    It has 37000 km so I think it is 22 990 miles. Will need to take it to the service for check.

4. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    I’d pin the blame on one obvious culprit: the fuel sensor inside the tank feeding false information. That fuel consumption you reported, burning half a tank of gas in 60mi, would only be possible imvho if you went all 60mi at full throttle/top speed.

Rough/Rich idle may be another entirely different issue.

For peace of mind, I’d recommend a visit to the nearest official dealer. In any case, I think it’ll be an easy fix.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

tomc likes this.
  5. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Who did you buy the car from? Did you request to see the entire service history of the car before buying it? When was it last serviced? Did you have the car certified by a dealer or at least do a PPI as a condition of purchase?

To be honest, if your account of events is accurate, your car may be in serious need of a tune up. If I were you I would have it checked by a Ferrari dealer before using it further.

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  6. JosephFIN

JosephFIN Rookie

Sep 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    Joseph al Sharif
    I've bought it from a big dealer in Finland. I reserved an appointment from Ferrari dealer for Wednesday, there were some other issues with the car, like engine mounts that needs to be replaced. I was lucky enough to get a guarantee for the car.

7. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Joseph,

If it’s under warranty, you’ll be fine. Warranties matter, namely if you bought the car outside the Ferrari official dealer network.

Once they’ve figured it out, please let us know what the problem was. If this happened back in the day, I’d say your carburetors needed a serious tune! :D

Kind regards,

Nuno.

8. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Two issues.

I don’t recall when Ferrari started providing the 7 year free annual service with the Cali but even if your 2010 car came with that free service it would have run out in 2017 at the latest. If your car has a tuneup issue it may be because the previous owner decided to neglect the servicing knowing that he would get rid of the car once it starts to act up. Some people are cold blooded like that. They will “use up” an asset and then try to palm off the needed servicing on someone else. You see this a lot especially with neglected or even trashed real estate properties.

Be careful because this has a bearing on any warranty.

A badly tuned car will poison and destroy its catalytic converters very quickly. So do not drive the car at all until the dealer figures out what’s wrong with it. Catalytic converters are wear and tear items and I believe they are not covered by any warranty. They would also be pretty expensive parts to replace. You will also see other issues when the cats stop working properly so you may still be okay but I would stop driving the car for now. If you hear clunking noises from below and experience jerky acceleration those are signs of failure of the cats and you should immediately contact the dealer and the seller.

9. Federal man

Federal man Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2018
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Mark Higinbotham
    Mine is a 2014 with HS and in just normal spirited driving around town it does seem to use quite a bit of gas, but I am not that concerned because I didn't buy it for its fuel economy. However, we did take it on an extended trip last week and to my surprise it got the manufacturer claimed 19 MPG on 2 sequential full tanks.

10. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    These cars are indeed thirsty, but 7 mpg is way off. Not even sure I could spank an 812 into those numbers on a track if I tried.

The combination of rough idle and poor fuel consumption goes hand in hand. I'm thinking bad o2 sensor or perhaps a leak in the exhaust upstream from the o2 sensor. This will also lead to false readings.

11. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    I keep a track of the km and the bills, so it is easy to correlate.

Based on the data of last ~1200 km from my California T HS, I get 22 liters per 100 km. That's 10.7 mpg.

No track use. Needless to say i use manual mostly.

12. JosephFIN

JosephFIN Rookie

Sep 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    Joseph al Sharif
    The dealer took the car back and I got another Cali from the same dealer. The issue was with the engine, it used only 6 blocks of the 8. The two of the blocks didn’t ignite.

13. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    lnteresting and I am glad you got a replacement but do make sure you have the full service records and that the dealer certifies the car (same as PPI). A warranty of at least 1 year would be best to have. However, I do find it shocking that they would sell a car in that condition.

FWIW, with 2 cylinders not firing, all the unburnt gas will poison the catalytic converter(s) and destroy them very quickly if the car is driven for any amount of time. Once the cats are destroyed the car is undriveable. The cause for the non firing cylinders can also be very problematic.

Good luck with the replacement car and make sure it’s properly serviced.

14. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    What do you mean by only 6 blocks were igniting? What is a "block"?

Only blocks I know of are engine blocks. There's one per engine and they don't ignite.

15. John Geiger

John Geiger Rookie

Aug 8, 2019
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    John Geiger
    The engine mounts replacement will cure a lot of the shaking. Mine shook like a wet dog until I got those done. Unfortunately the warranty doesn't cover them.

16. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Unfortunately, most people are quite naïve about insurance and warranties, live under a false sense of security. You have to carefully read the policies to see what they actually cover. Everything else not mentioned or specifically excluded ARE NOT COVERED.

For instance, the Ferrari NewPower warranty specifically states:

The New Power extended warranty covers the following components:
    • engine;
    • transmission;
    • suspension;
    • steering;
    • electrical system.
    Nothing else is covered under that policy. In addition, if you continue to read the document, it then states that for these items, oil seals, oil leaks, leaks, some valves and pumps are also NOT COVERED. However, in a sense that's actually fair, because those are considered wear and tear items as they are not expected to last the life of the car. And if they were covered, some people would forego regular maintenance and wait for those parts to fail and use their warranties to cover them. It would encourage some people to not service their cars after the free maintenance period expires. There are a lot of people like that.

As for the engine mounts, I consider them a design flaw but I may be wrong. At any rate, the factory would have to do a recall for them to be covered.

At any rate, the problem that the OP of this thread experienced was apparently not caused by failed engine mounts, even though I have stated before that every Cali owner should have their original mounts replaced as a preventive measure and also to improve the functioning (handling) of the car.