Noise from modified shock mount | FerrariChat

Noise from modified shock mount

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by AVIMAX, Oct 12, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AVIMAX

AVIMAX Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2014
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    My 550’s shock mounts have all been modified to add rubber. I couldn’t be happier with the modification, better ride and no clunking noises. It’s been 4 years and about 30,000 miles since the mounts were modified and they are still great except for one issue, the front mounts chirp. It started a few months after the mounts were modified, but it took me a long time to finally figure out where the chirping was coming from. I first suspected ball joints, then engine mounts, but in the end it turned out to be the shock mounts. If I spray some lubricant on the top of the shock mount, just inside the gland nut that retains the rubber assy (or the ball in the original), the chipping goes away, but it comes back after about a month or so. Anyone else with the modified mounts experiencing chirping noises?

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Are these the ones designed by Maranello Skunkworks and then turned over to Delta Vee?

3. AVIMAX

AVIMAX Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2014
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Yes. Mine were done by Delta Vee.

4. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    All I can think of is that whoever installed them didn't tighten the ring nut and/or didn't use blue Loctite.
    Nothing in there can move enough to make noise if that ring nut is tight.

Does the noise seem to come from just one side?

Maybe you could PM me with full details of who installed them, were they assembled by DeltaVee or the installer? I need all the information I can get to attempt to make an informed diagnosis.

5. AVIMAX

AVIMAX Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2014
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I will pm you later today with some more details.

6. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Do you have pictures of these modified shock mounts? Would be interesting to see how it is done. I wish my 550 was quiter and also a bit softer for the small roads with rough surface.

7. AVIMAX

AVIMAX Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2014
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Contact Dave (ferraridriver), he can help since he developed the modification, or if you search 550 modified shock mount you should find some old postings with information.

8. ixlr8

ixlr8 Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2015
    Eastern Shore- Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I heard Delta Vee is no longer providing this modification, and I don't see it on their web site any more. Is there anybody else who can do it?

9. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Dave is the only one who did it until he turned it over to Delta Vee.