FORMULA 1 JAPANESE GRAND PRIX 2019: RACE ▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS ▀▄▀▄ | Page 10 | FerrariChat

FORMULA 1 JAPANESE GRAND PRIX 2019: RACE ▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS ▀▄▀▄

Discussion in 'F1' started by SPEEDCORE, Oct 12, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    The mistakes by the drivers should not hide the fact that the car did not have the required racing pace - Vettel could not follow Bottas and Hamilton was behind only because his race was wasted by a too early pit stop.
    And Leclerc could not even set the fastest lap after putting new tyres specifically for that purpose - after a few laps in the traffic the performance was already not there anymore.
    With a correct strategy from Mercedes, it would have been a 1-2 for them even with good starts by Vettel and Leclerc - with significantly lower tyres degradation, the Mercedes would have passed the Ferrari (not always easy on the track, but with two mandatory pit stops they would not have missed the opportunity).
    Blaming the drivers and believing the win was possible is just wishful thinking IMHO.

DF1, fil and william like this.
  2. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Mainly agree with you but track position allowed to manage pace and I don't really know how powerful undercut is in Suzuka.
    Even with two stops it would have greatly complicated the Mercedes strategy.

3. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    #228 DeSoto, Oct 14, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
    The car had no pace, but with not one but two cars having track position there was a slim chance if they had used one car only for blocking and pitting him always early to avoid undercuts. It could have been like at Spa, where Vettel finished 4th to help Leclerc win.

Our drivers are making too many silly mistakes. Vettel has already a long story but the excuse of being a rookie is starting to look unconvincing for Leclerc: the greats didn't make many mistakes even when they were rookies, so he really needs to learn quick if he doesn't want to end being the Bottas of Vettel's replacement.

4. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Nonsense

daytona355 and lagunacc like this.
  5. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Starting 1st and 2nd on the grid to finish 2nd and 7th in the end is still not a good result for Ferrari.
    They had the fastest car, but Vettel ruined his chances by a false start, and Leclerc couldn't avoid making contact with another car.

scudF1 and kandi like this.
  6. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    Or ban carbon wings and go back to aluminium that likely would stay on the car even if damaged

pilotoCS likes this.
  7. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I do think Max was right when Horner told him Leclerc crashing into him was not even investigated...

that said not seen the race apart from first corner (already knew the result) so don't know if he complained more than that

8. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet

Don't want to be rude ,
    Following passionately formula one since 1986 I can tell you that you are completely wrong on the last point.
    More or less the greatest are all error prone at the beginning of their career,
    Compared to Senna and Schumacher, Leclerc just follows the same path.

9. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    All in all a boring race. Ferrari lost it in lap 1, bummer. As much as I love Leclerc, that was stupid and cost him and Max the race.

Only interesting thing was Hamilton trying to catch Vettel, but no.

Funny how MB scored the Constructors title. Congrats to them. Hopefully Ferrari will dominate next year.

kandi likes this.
  10. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    #235 DeSoto, Oct 14, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
    I hope so, only time will tell.

But remember that there are other drivers in the grid who beat Vettel too and at some time they´ll become available.

11. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Everybody makes mistakes at the beginning... but some beginnings are better than others.

I´m not saying that Leclerc is doing a bad season, but let´s not put all our hopes on the guy. If you look back at his season you´ll see almost one mistake per race. Even when he won at Belgium and Italy he missed a chicane during the race, the same kind of small error that cost the win at Canada.

So: a good beginning, but still room for improvement.

12. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Having been a fan since 1986, you must remember Suzuka in 1990 when those two guys took one another out at the first corner. What were their names? Oh, yeh, Senna and Prost. I hear they had pretty good racing careers in spite of being error-prone.

jpalmito likes this.
  13. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Aluminum is fairly brittle. Low carbon mild steel will deform, rather than crack.
    Of course, tempered steel will stand a lot, too ... and really hold an edge. ;)
    Metal end plates -- like the Greek chariot from "Ben Hur", going out to slash competitor's wheels. :p
    Formula Demolition. :D

Rubber end plates would violate the rules about "moveable surfaces".

But if we're going to get crying and penalties every time two cars touch, we need ...
    .... rubber baby buggy bumpers. :D:D:D

stavura, lagunacc and daytona355 like this.
  14. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Indeed it was painful to watch ( 1989 too in Suzuka )
    Brazil 1990 , senna lost the race while leading colliding with nakajima (lapped in a tyrrel )
    Just one example among so many ( spa 1987 between mansell and Senna ) etc ...

15. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Perfectly said, but try saying that three times fast!

sammysaber and daytona355 like this.
  16. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

There was no driver"s "error" in Suzuka in 1990.
    This was the culmination of an intense rivalry between 2 ex-team mates, both with plenty of experience.
    Starting from pole, Prost had no intention of letting Senna by, so didn't give him any space at the start.
    Senna was determined to settle the issue here and there by ramming Prost car if necessary, which he did, eliminationg both cars..
    Then Senna had to grovel to Ballestre, and pretend the incident wasn't intentional, to keep his licence and drive the next year.
    Years later, Senna confessed he had lied, and planned the crash all along, to prevent Prost bagging the championship.
    A clear example of red mist.

classic308, TexasF355F1 and kandi like this.
  17. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    Exactly the reason I've never placed Senna on the god-like pedestal that many others have. And, I've heard Mario Andretti (more or less) express the same sentiment about Senna.

18. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I told you guys that MISSIONWINNOW thing is a jinx......:D

sammysaber, william and daytona355 like this.
  19. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Senna’s actions could have gotten Prost injured or killed, which is why he’s a dyck in my book despite being hugely talented. Schumey too, and Hamilton trying to back up Rosberg into Vettel in the last race in 2016 was a dyck move. Speaking of Vettel, multi21 was a dyck move too. Prost Suzuka 89. And that’s why I have nothing but kudos for Lauda as a driver-he kept the wackiness out of the cockpit....lol.

375+, Jack-the-lad and william like this.
  20. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Yep, there is often a dark side to a successful driver.
    Lauda was (and still is) a hard act to follow.

21. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    I think you're leaving out a lot of the Prost/Ballestre hijinks, which included placing Senna on the dirty side of the circuit, in spite of qualifying on pole. Senna determined at that point that he would passive-aggressively let "nature take its course", but I have to say that the frustration around the Prost/Ballestre political dynamic was both valid and contributed to the tension in a significant way. (e.g. Senna being DQ'd from the '89 race despite winning after the "collision" between the same duo)

daytona355 likes this.
  22. LamboLover

LamboLover F1 Rookie

Jul 16, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Rick
    In fairness to Charles here, I think he was on pace once he backed off Bottas to make a run. It looked like he got caught up behind a Toro at the very last chicane at the last lap or so.

daytona355 and DGS like this.
  23. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Yes, there is that to take into consideration. I never understood why pole position was switched to the other side of the track. Maybe some sinister plot from Prost? I don't know. But even then, I can't accept that as an excuse for Senna deliberately ramming Prost just after the start to make his point (and seal the championship in his favour).
    On that day, Senna lost control completely, and many discovered his dark side too.

For the 89 Suzuka incident, I think it was 50/50 between the 2 protagonists. Senna had no chance to overtake cleanly there, and Prost resisted the move aggressively. Contact was inevitable, thankfully it was at low speed, so not much damage. Prost stalled and came off worse, but Senna was disqualified for being judged as the culprit in that move probably, and also for receiving outside assistance, remember.

24. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    I think it was for rejoining the track after using an off-circuit emergency road. Very dubious but you are correct that Senna intentionally ran him off knowing that he would win the WDC if both dnf'd in 1990.

Here it is:

Senna was disqualified from the Japanese Grand Prix on the grounds that by cutting the chicane on lap 47 he had not completed the full race distance

25. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

The press is aligned with your assessment and the errors by the drivers of Ferrari eliminated any sound chance at victory