Water Pump Replacement | FerrariChat

Water Pump Replacement

Discussion in '308/328' started by ferrariowner, Oct 13, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    It looks like it is time again to replace the water pump on my QV. What recommendations do F-Chatters have? I think I purchased the last one about 10 years ago from Superformance (not the uprated version as I recall).

2. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
  3. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Thanks. I will look at Nicks waterpump.

4. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    Amen! That's what I did a couple of years ago, and I have never regretted it for an instance.

During my 16 years of ownership, I'm now on my third water pump. The pump that was on the car when I bought it looked basically OK (a little seepage), but I replaced it when I did my first cam belt change, just to reset the maintenance clock on that item. Couple of years ago the replacement water pump started to leak significantly, and that's when I went to the Forza pump. Once you hold both of these pumps in your hands, the higher quality of the Forza pump is unmistakable.

My logic: Unlike, say, a maintenance cam belt change which can be done at your leisure based upon your schedule, the failure of a water pump means that it must be changed -right now-. And in my case, the failure of the second pump came at a most inopportune time for me whilst on the road, forcing my hand to drop whatever else I was doing and to address it.

I swore to myself that I would never again place myself in that position, thus justifying the notably higher price of the Forza pump.

Wade likes this.
  5. Hinecker

Hinecker Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2011
    Hello all,
    I rebuilt mine when I bought the car, it had 30k and it wasn't bad but it made me feel safer. Now it's got 59K and no problem with the pump.
    Rebuilding the pump is really easy and cheap, 2 SKF bearings, the seal and the o ring( whole kit is about $40 when I did it)
    Have never seen a pump from Nick Forza, so I can't compere.

Just my opinion,

John.

mike996 likes this.
  6. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    My opinion on water pumps is that they are maintenance items. They get addressed as part of every other major service whether they leak or not so that they never fail on the road by the side of the road. The new one bought from GT Car Parts was not that expensive so replacement was done instead of rebuilding. If you have to pay a mechanic to spend the time to rebuild the pump, you might as well spend the $200 buying the new one.

The same philosophy of maintenance is carried out on my wife Porsche 997. I can guarantee you that she does not know what the temperature gauge is and if there is smoke coming from behind the car, she will keep on driving it until the engine seizes up. That is why water pump and thermostat are replaced at 60K miles.

308 milano and ferrariowner like this.
  7. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    My mechanic rebuilt my water pump at the time of my first timing belt service; that was over 10 years ago and I've had no problems with it.

SeattleM5 likes this.
  8. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    My pump failed the day I got mine home. The letdown was beyond comprehension since I wanted one going back to about 13 years of age but that is another story.

Anyway, I bought the "upgraded" version that Rutlands was selling then and have not touched it since. That was Sept 1997 and about 70,000 miles ago.

9. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I think this is my 5th or 6th water pump in over 30 years. I like the looks of Nick's pump but I don't like the price:) Every pump I have lost has been a result of the seal failing and damaging the bearing. This one never displayed any detectable leakage.
    I agree Yelcab. They should probably be replaced with every belt service.

10. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    FYI any shop the tells you you need a new water pump every time you do the belts (and I have heard this more times than I can count) is full of ****.

Period.

miketuason and johnk... like this.
  11. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I love these threads. I've had the original water pump on my car since I bought it. That's going on 35 years now. If it ain't broke I don't fix it, particularly on a QV where the WP can be replaced without messing with anything else. I can see doing it on an "engine out" car, but even my 95 355 still has the original WP.

I wonder how much money has been spent replacing good WPs and other parts just be cause of the "while you are in there" effect?

mike996 likes this.
  12. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    If the water pump is constantly failing perhaps the belt tension is too high. I know, it's a ridiculously skinny belt and the Gates tensioner gauges are difficult to use. I'm not completely confident in their accuracy either. So I like to tension my belt just enough to eliminate slippage with full load on the alternator. The later two belt systems may not be as much of an issue as you have much better control over water pump belt tension with the idler. With the older single belt all you have is the alternator and a crow bar.

ferrariowner likes this.
  13. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I believe this is a problem and was less likely after the latter half of the 84 model year

ferrariowner likes this.
  14. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I’m knocking on wood right now because I have not replace my water pump since I bought my car thirteen and a half years ago and it’s still working excellent today.

15. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I am afraid to replace mine.

They all have a life expectancy, we all know that. Problem is mine is old enough with enough miles for me to be 'slightly" concerned but I am scared they don't make them this good anymore.

Saabguy likes this.
  16. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    I tension my belts only tightly enough so there is no squealing when engine is cold and goosed a little. Engine is aluminum, a metal that has one of the largest coefficients of thermal expansion of any common metal. So a tight water pump belt when cold is tighter when engine warms.

My current water pump is a rebuild by the Flying Dutchman. So far, so good. Good service.

17. Hinecker

Hinecker Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2011
    Morning Tommy,
    As said before, I rebuilt mine. It's not difficult at all, as a matter of fact, it's really easy. Took me about an hour and a half, removing, rebuilding and installing.
    Have to say that apart from the gasket and o ring which were bought from Superformance, the bearings and seal were locally purchased. The bearings were SKF and the seal was top quality bought from a local vendor which only sells seals.

Just my opinion,

John.

Dr Tommy Cosgrove likes this.
  18. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I will probably give that a try next time. Based on my previous experiences, there will be a next time.