355 - 355 B and GTS Stick getting really hard to find | Page 11 | FerrariChat

355 355 B and GTS Stick getting really hard to find

Discussion in '348/355' started by Robb, Aug 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I wonder of people buy these in hopes of not losing any money after calculating fully loaded owner ship cost include major service? I bet some people hope they can buy it, drive it, spend 10-15K in ownership then expect to get what they paid 3-5 years later plus the 10-15K they spent, back plus a premium.

Seems like mileage is a big deal which makes the case for buying high mileage car at lower cost then driving it.

2. Fundlawyer

Fundlawyer Karting

Jul 30, 2009
    Old Westbruy, NY
    Full Name:
    Douglas Hirsch
    Unfortunately, most people who buy these cars are dreamers thinking mainly about about resale value. That makes it tough to sell cars with more than 30k miles. However, the chances of making money on one of these cars with a hold period of 3-5 years is slim to none. The truth is that the prudent financial move is to buy a well sorted car, regardless of miles, enjoy it, and accept the fact that it will sell for less than you paid because you put miles on it. Thats ok. If you pay 90k for a no needs car, drive it for three years, and sell it for 70k, thats a deal!

cnpapa24, Wsmatau, audi_328 and 2 others like this.
  3. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    These cars are under valued. The interwebs have contributed to that a lot. I think all car values in the collector segment are going to take a big hit. It is happening. The air cooled Porsche frenzy may not happen again. Definitely a weird time in the car world.

I went to a small car gathering this pst Saturday and met up with the guy that bought my F1 GTS. All I felt was regret, cause the car is so nice and I sold it too soon. BUT first word out of everyone’s mouth when the car arrived and I was just standing and listening, was about cost, cost, cost to own and drive. “Will bankrupt you.” That paraphrase was from a long term Ferrari owner in a new 488 Spyder! His favorite part about his 488 - 7 year maintenance plan.

So the pool of willing knowledgeable buyers is shrinking. The information is caustic and the crowd is becoming a group that cannot drive a stick, worried about climate change and has little use for luxury collector items.

I will try and hold to 30 years, drive it some and enjoy. Maybe the cloud will lift and the 355 will be the second coming of the frenzy’s from the past??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    We'll all be screwed anyway from all the battery waste...

sjd

carnutdallas likes this.
  5. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    the tr is undervalued also and is a great time to buy ,talk about maintaince is same thing

carnutdallas likes this.
  6. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    I think they have more to go down, especially if a recession hits. I wanted a TR a few years ago but not anymore. When you get to that kind of money (80s to low 100s) you have so many options, not better nor worse, just different. The unfortunate truth for the TR is that it has a very niche market.

7. eyeman1234

eyeman1234 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 25, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    I like my "old" toys (Ferraris-328, F355) and they cost less to own (depreciation) than the "new" toys (Ferraris) that I would substitute. Besides, they are gated!
    Value...who cares...you can't get hurt.

8. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    the tr is an amazing vehicle to drive ,so undervalued worth so much more yes market is soft ,i dont see a recession happening soon

9. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    love the 328 look i was thinking of one but when drove one was just too underpowered i passed but beautiful car

10. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Ferraris are not drag cars they are road course cars. Like we used to say in motocross, just hold the gas harder and longer and carry more speed around the corners.

80% driver 20% equipment.

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Robb likes this.
  11. audi_328

audi_328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    NH
    Full Name:
    Audi
    So funny when people don't consider the depreciation aspect of new Ferrari ownership...the new 488 guy sleeps well knowing he won't lose $20K on a big service bill, but doesn't bat an eye to getting soaked for $100K in depreciation over a few years...but at least his service costs are covered for 7 years (not that he'll likely own it that long).

Nothing wrong with buying new, somebody has to buy them, glad there are people that do. If the depreciation figures weren't so huge the argument would make a little more sense, though.

12. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    This forum makes the 3xx cars very affordable. A majority of things that go wrong are very fixable and diy for low cost assuming you have some direction that the forn affords. If you plan on taking it to a dealer for every issues then sure it gets absurd but there is no reason for that unless you absolutly refuse to chip the clear coating on your polished finger nails or something.

For me and others I suspect ownership is as much about enjoyment of maintenance even if it means fixing stuff that is not broken trying to get it back to factory fresh.

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

SethP, audi_328 and BOKE like this.
  13. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Well....: everything I have said, believed, thought or inferred is a lie. Top quality gated cars under 10k miles have a market. GTB Sold close to ask yesterday, real close! :)

audi_328, BOKE and Robb like this.
  14. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    what was the ask?

15. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    $142,500 was the ask.

Sale price was within 3% of ask plus the small BiL commission rate.

[​IMG]

audi_328, BOKE and F129b like this.
  16. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Thanks. Congrats. PM sent.

17. F129b

F129b Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004
    oc, calif.
    Full Name:
    Robert

18. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    thats car sold a few months ago in california for low 100s

19. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    More like 10 months ago ;-)

BOKE likes this.
  20. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Congrats on the sale. A unique car for sure.

So still only a handful of gated B’s for sale that have been picked over...

Robb

carnutdallas likes this.
  21. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    theres like 4 355s b still for sale and a few other years al manuals still low inventory

22. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I am going to take a break, sell my Vette projects and then search a higher mileage car with needs.... I think Robb did real well with his GTB. A labor of love, but the color he wanted and the needs were minor in some respects.

I want one I can drive more. Should have kept my first one :)

FLORIDAsnakeEyes, Robb and BOKE like this.
  23. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Main key is to get any car sorted... because they all need something.

Then drive baby drive.

Robb

BOKE, audi_328 and MAD828 like this.
  24. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    The Tifosi in Australia I visited last week are prime evidence for Ferrari’s that have big miles, bigger smiles, and they are still 99 point cars...

That’s the way to go I think.

Robb

BOKE, eyeman1234, audi_328 and 4 others like this.
  25. FLORIDAsnakeEyes

FLORIDAsnakeEyes Formula 3

Jul 7, 2015
    Sarasota, Florida
    Full Name:
    OC
    Well said

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Robb likes this.