430 - Brake flush leads to soft pedal | FerrariChat

430 Brake flush leads to soft pedal

Discussion in '360/430' started by c6vette, Oct 13, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. c6vette

c6vette Karting

Jun 4, 2009
    St. Petersburg
    Just like the title says...flushed the brakes today on my 2005 F430 and now the pedal is soft. Used a Motive power bleeder and Motul RBF 600 fluid. I do not believe the reservoir ever got low but right now that is the only thing I can think of. I see people talking about bleeding the master cylinder but I cannot find a bleeder screw on mine. I even removed the panel on the rear of the frunk to get a better look and there is no screw like the 360's have. I have flushed brakes on other cars before and never had this issue. Any ideas? Thanks!

2. Flyingbrick242

Flyingbrick242 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2017
    Northern AZ.
    Good alternative is cracking the brake lines attached to master..go through bleed again starting with R/R, L/R, R/F, then L/F...
    Should help unless you have air trapped within ABS modulator.
    Good Luck.

I did similar service to my 430 utilizing motive also worked well with solid pedal..

3. c6vette

c6vette Karting

Jun 4, 2009
    St. Petersburg
    Yea that is the order I bled them in earlier. Pedal was normal before the flush and the car was never turned on at any time during the work so there should not be air in the ABS module. Waiting for amazon to deliver some more fluid and I plan to bleed everything again and see if that works.

4. slracing

slracing Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Europe
    Had the same issue with my 360- bleed the ABS module and your pedal will most likely be hard as a rock. Good luck.

5. c6vette

c6vette Karting

Jun 4, 2009
    St. Petersburg
    Any idea how to bleed that on a 430? Does it require and SD3?

6. drcripp

drcripp Karting

Nov 1, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    David Crippen
    How often do you guys bleed your brakes (360 Modena)?

7. c6vette

c6vette Karting

Jun 4, 2009
    St. Petersburg
    Please stay on topic dccripp. That info is easily available in your owners manual.

8. spikes360

spikes360 Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2013
    Niles, IL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I had an annual with the AD & when I drove it home it developed a very soft pedal. I called them and told them to come pick up the car by trailer. The driver told the service personnel that when he put it in the trailer it didn't feel soft but when he pulled the car out it was very soft. The problem was that they didn't bleed the master. So a $700 annual oil change from an AD isn't always what it's cracked up to be!

9. c6vette

c6vette Karting

Jun 4, 2009
    St. Petersburg
    I still can’t figure out how to bleed the master

10. TheCook

TheCook Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2015
    Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Ian
    Cheap trick. Bleed the brakes as per above. Take the car to a quiet road. Even better if raining. Brake hard enough to activate the ABS multiple times. Bleed again. Sorted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. bradyorlando456MGTA

Mar 31, 2014
    Bluffton, SC
    Full Name:
    Brady Orlando
    That is odd Ferrari didn't put bleeders on the 430 master cylinders, they're probably supposed to be "self bleeding", I would try bleeding with the brake pedal a few times to see if that forces the air up into the reservoir. It will probably be messy but if that doesn't work it might be worth trying to break the lines loose at the master cylinder like he suggested while you have pressure on the system from the motiv. Unfortunately an SD3 or similar is needed to actuate specific ABS valves during a bleed, on a 360 I was able to put a portable drill on the center hub nut of the front wheels and spin the whole rotor to get the ABS pump to actuate, not sure how much good it did though.

12. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Ian may be right. The bleed process in the shop manual uses the SD to cycle the ABS; at least it does for the 360.

13. brookliner7

brookliner7 Formula Junior

May 5, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Hans
    It would depend on your driving habits. But if you just do a normal driving I will do mine once per year on all my vehicles.