Turnpike speeding ticket :-( | FerrariChat

Turnpike speeding ticket :-(

Discussion in 'Florida' started by catgolfs, Apr 28, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. catgolfs

catgolfs Karting

Dec 1, 2007
    Columbia, SC
    Full Name:
    Catherine
    Would you guys recommend hiring an attorney to help fight a speeding ticket which was issued last week in Martin County on the turnpike?

The situation is this:

My 65-year-old dad from South Carolina was 45 minutes north of Boca Raton on the turnpike. He had his cruise control set on 75 since he entered the turnpike, speed limit was 70. At mile marker 135 he was pulled by Trooper M.A. Nyman, ID No. 2747. The trooper issued him a ticket for doing 88 (and $253, the issue is the points not the fine)! I have to think that his radar read the speed from another car. My dad readily admits to doing 75 in a 70 and that his feet had been on floorboard since he got on the turnpike with the cruise control set.

The trooper told him that he could write a letter to the judge/magistrate. I have my doubts this will do any good.

Would you hire an attorney? If so, who would you recommend?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

2. awo

awo Rookie

Oct 15, 2010
  3. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    usually in Florida a lawyer can stop the points but not the fine. IIt has been a long time for me so I cannot help you on what lawyer. Call a few and find out some deal in traffic tickets only. I was told by a freind that this should all be sone within two weeks or it gets hard to stop the points. You can also go to traffic school but htere are limitiations so people wait untill they are Pointed out and in danger of loosing their license.

Sorry I wish I knew more and good luck.

Lee

4. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    INRange likes this.
  5. oss117

oss117 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2006
    Plantation, Florida
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    Always hire an attorney: you have nothing to lose!
    Never pay a ticket!

NYC Fred likes this.
  6. catgolfs

catgolfs Karting

Dec 1, 2007
    Columbia, SC
    Full Name:
    Catherine
    You guys are the best. Thank-you so very much for the advice. We will call TheTicketClinic in the morning.

All the best and I will try to remember to post the outcome of all of this.

7. Melons

Melons Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2013
    I had one and the attorney got it dismissed... Call ticket attorney for sure

8. Iceman23

Iceman23 Karting

Mar 21, 2013
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Ruben Salama
    My advice is to call Rand Maltausch. He's taken care of my tickets for past 20 years. Ask for Janet.
    305-377-8326.
    Let me know if you need anything else. Best of luck
    Ruben

9. markivan

markivan Rookie

Feb 28, 2007
    Florida/Washinton
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #9 markivan, Apr 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Always use a lawyer, your fathers ticket was just revenue generation. The Ticket Clinic or any good attorney will get you out of a speeding ticket specially if the officers radar gun was not calibrated properly or recently -- Here is a good article Mistakes of Police Radar | RadarDetector.org

Attached is a Boca Raton contact that can help you with your situation... Good Luck!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. SherryP

SherryP Rookie

Jul 26, 2013
    I just googled this trooper because I am about to make a formal complaint and wondered if I would find others. I received a ticket in May and went to court this week to face him and of course he was a no show and it was dismissed. This trooper is an embarrassment to the profession. I was parked in the truck parking at a turnpike stop due to construction (the lot was a zoo and no spots were available) and he came over in a huff, told me to move my car to the car parking. In order to follow his instructions I was forced to go on a one way road I said this to him and he told me to figure it out. Then when I followed his instruction he wrote me up for "driving the wrong way on an entrance ramp". seriously! To make matters worse, I had my 11 year old daughter in the car. His response was exactly the same when he gave me a ticket "take it up with the magistrate".

11. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    He did you a favor. If they do not show, he knows it will be thrown out. He was a good guy, Maybe the atitude was of a bad day, or maybe he thought about it and decided to be kind. Anyway you got offm be thankful.

Best

Lee

12. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    You must be kidding. A "good guy" wearing a badge and a gun doesn't bully a woman with a child in the car over some ridiculous situation like parking a car in a truck parking place. Give me a break.

BT likes this.
  13. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    +1.

14. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    My brother works for the FDLE. There are SEVERAL good reasons cars and trucks are segregated in parking. If you are a woman please don't ask me to explain what a "lot lizard" is as you seem a nice lady

15. MRod44

MRod44 Rookie

Nov 14, 2011
    Miami, Fl
    Full Name:
    Mike R
    #15 MRod44, Jul 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
    What he said!

16. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    hire an atty for EVERY speeding tik

Try ticketclinic

17. damnhawk

damnhawk Formula Junior

Feb 22, 2007
    Cape Coral/ Boca
    Full Name:
    Eric M
    +1 on getting in touch with the ticket clinic. Keeping points and the number of traffic schools you have left to take is the way to go.

18. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Ticket clinic is good, and Steven Salvati (in Delray Beach if I remember correctly) is also really good.

My experience was that ticket clinic got no points but paid the fine (adjudication withheld) and a small attorney fee on a case for my daughter for speeding, Salvati got no points, no fine, and was about the same cost for a case for me for running a red light (it was a bogus ticket in my opinion).

:)
    BT

19. carlosc

carlosc Rookie

Jul 13, 2014
    Hi, just had this happen to me on the turnpike in Ft. Pierce. Same trooper stopped me said I was going 88mph but I had my cruise control set at 69. I'm going to fight it in court can you tell me what you ended up doing and the outcome? Thanks.

20. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    ALWAYS hire an Atty & NEVER write letter to Judge yourself

Go to http://m.ticketclinic.com they specialize in this for FL

21. Jeffski

Jeffski Rookie

Oct 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    Jeff Scott

I realize your case was years ago, but similar situation just occurred with me. Driving on the turnpike at 77-78 going with the flow (70 mph zone). Trooper M A Nyman pulled me over, and said he radared me at 87mph. My gf and I pleaded nicely with him, explaining that I wasn’t, and that I am NOT a fast driver (I have clean record). He came back and gave me ticket for 77mph, but wrote I. The comments radar at 87mph. Not sure what to do now as far as fighting it, cause I was actually driving 77. Unfortunately I hadn’t passed thru a sun pass terminal yet to average out my pace.

22. flifer

flifer Karting

Mar 3, 2016
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Mike
    There are thousands of lawyers in south FL that specialize in fighting traffic tickets... Any time you have a ticket no matter what, always hire a lawyer.

23. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Before you spend money on a lawyer find out what the repercussions would be if you pay the fine. I got a similar ticker on 95 a few years back. But, my state is not a reciprocal state with FL, so not reported to my state DMV, no points would be applied to my license and no points meant no effect on insurance either. Thus the cheapest way out was to pay the ticket and be done with it. Aside from the fine, it never happened.

24. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Your comment got me to thinking about this matter.

Looks like there are 5 states that don't share driver license info with Florida. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Here is a source I found: https://www.carinsurance.com/which-states-share-traffic-ticket-reciprocity.aspx

25. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    According to that list my state, CT, shares with FL. So, either the list is incorrect or things have changed since a few years back. There is one other possibility. The ticket was issued by a local cop (Port St. Lucie) rather than a state cop and, perhaps it was the local municipality did not share. I corresponded by phone and they stated that the info would not be sent to my state, which was accurate. Like I said, as far as CT and my insurance was concerned, it never happened.

One thing I do recall was that post cards from FL lawyers filled my mail box for several weeks after I received the ticket.

energy88 likes this.