PF Coupe Registry - Its Coming Back... | FerrariChat

PF Coupe Registry - Its Coming Back...

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by djaffrey, Feb 26, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. djaffrey

djaffrey Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Hello all

Several years ago I created a fledgling PF Coupe Registry at the prompting of John Vardanian (hi John !) that was populated with lots of data that was very kindly provided by John and especially Marcel Massini. I sold my PF Coupe about 5 years ago and the site fell dormant, mostly because in the format it was then it was quite a lot of effort to maintain for a non PF Coupe owning individual (me).

So why rekindle this....well I hadn't logged into F-chat for a few years and when I did recently my inbox was full of requests from people asking if the Registry was still online or where they could get info on their cars. Made me feel kind of bad I let the old site die on the vine !

Time and technology moves on and I realised with new tools like Wix maintenance of a Registry would be an easier, and less time consuming, proposition so I am contemplating firing it back up again on all 12 cylinders...mostly just as a resource for the owner community. In time it could expand to other 250 Tipo but for now my focus is on the PF Coupe.

So here's the main landing site :

https://www.the250compendium.com/

And here is the PF Coupe subpage that I will look to build out :

https://www.the250compendium.com/250-pf-coupe

If you scroll down on this page you will see just 4 sample car entries I have created.

A few things to note before I get to the ask...

1. I take copyright seriously and for now all image being used on the site are just placeholder images. I will respect copyright and any photos I want to use I will ask for approval and reference their ownership. I haven't done that as yet but WILL be doing so. I needed something for mock up purposes so please excuse me (especially Tim Scott...BTW an amazing car photographer).

2. Again for now I am only working on the PF Coupe and Toolkit pages (photo credit to CFP) to begin with - others may or may not follow !

And heres the ask to the community...given it still takes a good deal of time to manage the images and keep things up to date I want to (in technology terms) keep this to being an MVP (minimum viable product). So my question is what information would YOU the owners and aficionados like to see for each car noted in the Registry ?

- Just an image and a link to data elsewhere on the web ?
    - Information about original build specs and colours as per leaving the factory ?
    - Sales Price History (very time consuming and likely to be inaccurate I fear)
    - What else is useful (bearing in mind the MVP principle) ?

I will not be listing things like current owner details as that is not appropriate imo.

Anyways take this for what it is. Be kind as I am NOT a professional website designer just a hobbyist but this is a community we are all part of, and when I owned my PF Coupe F-Chat was an incredible resource for me, and sometimes its good to give a bit back.

Comments and input requested and most welcome !

Darren

Bryanp and turbo-joe like this.
  2. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
    Hi Darren, congratulations on your new effort. Nice layout. To start you might change SN 1635GT for 1625GT.

3. djaffrey

djaffrey Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Ha ! Good spot...QA never my strong point :)

4. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    #4 Bryanp, Feb 26, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
    Thanks for coming back and reviving the site, Darren! This is very important work; I remember well the "sad" portion of the old website, documenting the many PF Coupes that had been butchered into various fakes. I hope that trend has mostly ceased since these are now $700k+ cars!

I assume everyone has seen this poor girl - https://www.goodingco.com/vehicle/1960-ferrari-250-gt-coupe-3/ s/n 2081GT

Christian.Fr likes this.
  5. KenGoldman

KenGoldman Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 25, 2009
    MASS., USA
    Full Name:
    Kenneth Goldman
    Really great news !!

I think detailed photos are good. For history, etc., this can be found on another web site that we all know.

What you have so far looks good to me.

Ken Goldman

6. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Hi Darren, so good to have you back and thanks for the generous offer of a website.

It would be nice if owners and historians could offer you pictures, then you would build back something like we had before. Historical pictures and information is always good--period exhibition/show pictures, for instance. It's specially nice to see cars in their earlier years, before restoration, different paint schemes, etc. It's nice to record special features on cars, and I'm not talking about "Speciale" cars, rather ordinary cars with odd features. Interesting articles would be nice, either general or S/N specific.

That said, you must have a day job and to make the site a success you'd need the help of the community, so it's important you have our support. You have mine, for what it's worth.

john

7. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

The really cool thing about this car is that it retains the original and impossible to find anywhere passenger head rest.

8. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
  9. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Boudewijn likes this.
  10. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
  11. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    wbaeumer likes this.
  12. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    That's sad.

readplays likes this.
  13. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Ed, is that silver-gray on 0947GT the original paint? Trying to see if it had the wheel arch flares since the beginning. It is now red and still has the flares. Thanks.

john

readplays likes this.
  14. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    John

0947 GT: Silver is not the original paint. Original was Nero Tropicale.
    It is no longer red but actually back to black now.
    It was offered a few weeks ago at the Bonhams auction held at Grand Palais in Paris, France, during the Retromobile week February 2019.

Marcel Massini

Image Unavailable, Please Login

readplays likes this.
  15. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Well, not the same cup of coffee anymo`.....:cool:

16. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Marcel.....was the car sold and if so do you know how much please.

17. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    #19 John Vardanian, Mar 1, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
    Thanks Marcel. Is it safe to assume that 0947GT came with the special wheel arches since new? I have this picture in my files. I got it from the fellow that restored it in late 80's/early 90's, Curt VanDenBerg, but I don't know where it's taken or when.

john

18. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I also wonder about that. never have seen such before on a 250 GT

19. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
    From Bonhams Paris 2019 auction catalogue: '0947GT' has unique flared wheelarches and is one of very few made with a glassfibre boot lid.

20. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Thanks.
    I know 0943GT has a fiberglass boot lid as well. It must be an early car feature.

john

21. lancia

lancia Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Hi John, fiberglass boot lid is not uncommon on early inside-plug coupes, having seen a number of coupes with this detail.

22. Deemeyere Wim

Deemeyere Wim Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2019
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Wim Demeyere
  23. Deemeyere Wim

Deemeyere Wim Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2019
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Wim Demeyere