Maserati Khamsin | Page 311 | FerrariChat

Maserati Khamsin

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Maeter, Feb 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hi Roger congrats on your outstanding research as usual, may I ask -very candidly and positively- how you were able to establish their chassis numbers? 368 was last known to have been vandalized in the Miami area many years ago (in the 1990's I believe) and was briefly owned by a Frenchman living there who took the photos I attach. He then sold it as was and lost all contact with it.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
    Hi Marc

it's all about collecting and screening information, and keeping it up to date; 11'000 photos and a simple Excel list.
    in the case of 368 it was the rear view mirrors in the same colour as the car, here two pics from the US and one recent one from Germany

more to follow

Roger

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
    Regarding #1096

the car for sale on BAT, ebay, Barrett-Jackson and lately Jerry Bensinger
    not many US cars left with the ugly bumpers, mainly your merit and of course aesthetics,
    then the color combo, driver side rear view mirror and window sticker

4. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Well done Roger thanks, I think you also have interesting ways of searching such as different search engines etc. Photo wise I am at about 8000 because I don't save every single one only those that are truly different or taken at different times in a car's life. Very glad I am not the only one doing it:)
    Excel is certainly useful I can see it when I use the UK K list that Andy Heywood gave me as it is in Excel format. When I indexed Adolfo Orsi's photo archive at his house in 2006 for six months, 4900 photos including glass negatives of the Carcano Maserati motorized cycles from 1898, I faced 180000 questions to answer and had to insert hyperlinks everywhere: that was a rather big job but very satisfying.

If only I had time but now none to spare at all.

Very glad 368 is restored, saved and well:)!

5. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
  6. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
    Regarding #1304

The odometer gave it away, and maybe the color of the spare tire rim (although that may be pretty standard).
    Unrestored cars usually do not get many miles done, so it was easy to identify when compared to the Gullwing Motor Cars pictures.

But of course there are plenty of cars still unidentified on my list, with pictures to go with...
    I'm not always that lucky.

Best regards
    Roger
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
  8. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
    Hi Marc

this is the ex Limacher car, sold by Leo Peschl in Germany, previously by Limacher in Urdorf near Zurich
    I do not know who was/is the owner while with Munich plates

https://www.leo-peschl.de/produkt/maserati-khamsin-am120-100/

9. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Ahah of course AM120-100 which was in Zurich with a German owner for a few years, shown in my book and MKR website with his Verde pino later K during a photoshoot I organized in August 2010 near Zurich.

10. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
    Hi Marc

Can you help me on these two?

first one with swiss plates but probably US-Version, I have no clue about this one

second one, from Austria, I must have overlooked it, as the meeting was in 2015, but found the pics only now
    could this be the #388 as advertised in Austro Classic March 1998?

Best regards
    Roger

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #7761 Nembo1777, Oct 16, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    Hello Roger,
    Thanks for that, the first one could be an automatic Us car that was cream colored for sale on the Midwest before ending up red in eastern Switzerland.

Or it could be 1214 that was in awful shape but sold very quickly by gull-wing with big US bumpers painted red like the body:eek: no idea where it went.

The other car is yet another K in Austria, I know about 14 there but not this one, so you could right about 388 as the car in the and has a small sticker like that top right of windshield.

I can't post photos today as I have internet trouble but do you know a Swiss black or dark brown K with tan interior and numberplate UR 607?
    I have one photo of its rear.Wait I think That is 230 seen at Limacher's.

12. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Edit the first one I referred to in my post above was 1034 sold in 2011 by outlet cars.ch but it was Burgundy with Beige seats in wrong leather and a wooden steering wheel...It does have two identical outer mirrors and crosswipers though.

13. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
    Hi Marc

No, 1214 went to Hungary, pics below
    and 1034 has too many differences
    but maybe 'BL 181 306' could well be 1014, unless you have different info on that one, do not know what happened to it.

And Pictures of UR 607 have always been taken in the same street in Zurich (Pelikanstrasse), later with the new plates ZH 778 043, and yes it is 230.

Best regards
    Roger

14. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hi Roger,
    Thanks, we should routinely help each other identify photos. This week I have some internet issues but once they are sorted I will post some mystery K photos to see if You or anyone else can pin a Vin on them:)

15. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
    Hi Marc

forgot to tell you, 1034 was offered for sale in March then June this year, near Mainz Germany, on mobile.de, but the link does not work any longer,
    latest price EUR 105'000, the seller says it is not yet registered in Germany.

Roger

16. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Thanks for that Roger, noted.

17. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
    #1012 has been converted to European Spec, at least what the bumpers are concerned, but not any longer in Spain
    it seems the car is now back again in Florida, Sarasota region.

18. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Interesting, it is very rare for one to head west across the pond, the market pattern for the past 30 years has been that when a K is for sale in the US it gets bought by a European end user or dealer.

MK1044 likes this.
  19. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
  20. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    FIVA has made a video about the Khamsin (the light blue (celeste chiaro) car is probably #1032):

FIVA also made a French version of the video:

MK1044 likes this.
  21. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
  22. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #7772 Nembo1777, Oct 22, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
    Useful video devoid for once of mistakes, pity it is just a photo compilation.

The light blue car is indeed 1032 restored to incredible standards a few years ago. I saw it in Denmark in may 2014, just amazing. John has since sold a share in the car as he has decided on a career change.

Of course as is typical in ninety percent of Khamsin articles the author fails to explain how the hydraulic assistance system makes it easy to use from the worst traffic jam to an all out trans continental blast.

23. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    Hello Roger, yes I think it was always Celeste Chiaro, it was in 1992 when Adolfo Orsi checked it in Italy (I have a copy of his report), and it has been this color since it is in Holland (since 1993). When I had it repainted about 10 years ago it was stripped to bare metal and nothing other than Celeste Chiaro was found.

24. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    This reminds me when I was indexing Adolfo's historic photo archive at his home 13 years ago I saw a separate file on another shelf in his offices with a gorgeous light blue smooth nosed Khamsin and was attracted to it like a piglet to fertilizer...I saw it was 090, your car but he said NOT to touch it, it is a private file! Lol:) Litlle did I know we would communicate a few years later/ago but for K's it is indeed a small world:)

25. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    #7775 71Satisfaction, Oct 27, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
    Buon giorno ragazzi,
    CAUTION: This post may contain language and ideas found in laboratory conditions to be revolting to purist Khamsinisti!

...Rims! What options are available for new rims for a Khamsin?

My nice old friend with the '77 K called me to discuss improvements and work on his K in the spring next year. I insisted on new tires but he doesn't want to change the ones on the K, because he likes the originality (forgetting of course the tires are a suicidal 44 years old!). The compromise is to source new rims AND tires we can put on his K and put the originals in storage.

TIRES - Vredestein Sport Classics would be interesting, but I expect to source Longstone's 215/70-WR15 Pirelli CN12s.
    RIMS - I looked online and don't find anyone reproducing new Campagnolos..
    - MIE has nothing online for Khamsin, but I'll call.
    - Originality is not a requirement, SHOCKING!
    - Mr Fiat and others can customize rims for $900 each, that price is not very appealing.
    - I recall online photos of Khamsins with aftermarket rims, BBS?
    - what are the specs? 4 x 130mm bolt pattern? ..7 or 8" width? ..offset? ..backspacing, etc?
    - Any decent options y'all would recommend?

Molto grazie, tutti,
    - Art