Mondials For Sale | Page 86 | FerrariChat

Mondials For Sale

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by 123howie, May 26, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cadillacbart

Cadillacbart Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    John
    My guess on the tail lamps is someone pushing the vehicle using these as handles...

2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    You have to reach up from underneath. In other words, hidden from view... unless you're headfirst and on your back looking up. ;)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Drewbdo likes this.
  3. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    FYI, the t is hugely complicated (technically) when compared to the earlier versions. So many expensive things to go wrong, especially for an example that's been neglected. Let me see if I can send you a digital copy of the Owner's Manual.

Drewbdo likes this.
  4. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Drewbdo and sixcarbs like this.
  5. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    paulchua likes this.
  6. Clnilsen

Clnilsen Karting

Jan 14, 2012
    Celebration, FL
    Full Name:
    Chuck Nilsen
    So random thought on this - could it have been dropped, like off a lift straight down? I'm not saying driven off a corner (there's no damage like that) but a vertical drop? I guess you'd have to see suspension damage. There seems to be a lot of "stress" type issues, more so than indicated from the original BAT auction pic set.

paulchua likes this.
  7. Drewbdo

Drewbdo Karting

Apr 8, 2016
    Atlanta, Georgia
    It may be my imagination (running away with me... I'm a DJ. Random song lyrics are an occupational hazard. ;))

Anyway, it may be my imagination, but the driver's side tail lamps appear to be misaligned in the original BaT listing too, as shown in the image below. Is it possible to install the black 'gasket' ring (between the light and the body) upside down / incorrectly rotated? This BaT image appears to show the red light with a thicker black gasket than the amber light, though it is more noticeable in my image. Maybe it was incorrectly installed?
    [​IMG]

Ah. Thank you for the diagram! I looked under the dash, in the door pocket, in the door handle, under the front seat, driver's wheel well, even under the front bumper. :confused: lol

That would be cool! Personally, I plan to get a 3.0 or 3.2 QV model, rather than the T model.

I don't mind basic wrenching on my cars. I've done full engine outs, although I don't want to attempt that anytime soon. The plan is to build a small garage / shop building, separate from the house, where I can keep my Mondi and tinker as needed.

It's pretty sad. :( Rather than some flipper out for a quick buck or guy who just wants a "cheap" exotic, I really hope someone buys it who has a passion for the car, and has the knowledge (or money) to bring it back to it's potential.

I didn't post it, but I did take a photo of the insurance sticker which shows the insurance company, and possibly a policy or file number. I don't know laws / insurance company policy... are they allowed to tell people why it received a salvage title?

If you mean the visor mirror, under-body air deflector damage, and the damaged air intake fins, the original BaT showed the passenger side fin damage, and appears to be the same as the current condition. No visor mirror or undercarriage images in the BaT listing.
    [​IMG]

Looking at the BaT images from Paulchua's link above, the car had the OEM "yellow horsie" wheel cap things, and a shifter ball with red "5-speed" numbering. Now, it's "Italian flag" caps, and a "carbon fiber" shifter ball. The BaT also shows a star in the windshield, which I must have overlooked when I visited.

Maybe "Daddy" bought it, and little Sweet 16 Sally (or Steve) didn't take care of it? Repo? Medical issue? Theft? So much SWAG (scientific wild-arse guesses), so little time (or facts). :D lol

paulchua likes this.
  8. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    Another interesting observation from the BaT listing is that the rear windows are never shown to be in the up position (even when the top is up). I wonder if they were functional at the time of the BaT auction?

paulchua and Drewbdo like this.
  9. Drewbdo

Drewbdo Karting

Apr 8, 2016
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Good eye! I didn't notice that.

A related item... The vertical trim piece between the passenger side windows is missing or at least damaged. Theft damage? The piece is present on the driver's side.

BaT:

Current:

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using FerrariChat.com mobile app

paulchua likes this.
  10. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
  11. Drewbdo

Drewbdo Karting

Apr 8, 2016
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Interesting... It's possible.

Since water seeks it's own level, and the "possible water line" appears to be rising from the floor toward the back of the car, at what appears to be a steep angle, it seems the back seats would have some water damage. The mystery line is at the black mat, appears to be a finger width above the mat at the first vertical carpet panel line, and then at least twice that by the right side of the photo.

If it is a water line, it would seem to indicate the car was parked on a slope, nose elevated, rear "in the water". :eek:

I'll look at my phone later, and see if I have any other photos which might show the floor from another angle.

It could also be sun-faded carpet bove the line, and non-faded carpet below the line, protected from sun exposure, since the floor mats were in the car during the BaT time period.

12. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    I don't think that's water level.

Reminds me of a rug I pulled out from under my couch today. The part that was tucked under the couch looks new. I think that's just part of the carpet that was covered by another layer.

I'm going with theft and recovery. And based on what the buyer paid, (Too much when he bought it, way too much today) if I were the adjuster I would be doing a serious investigation, especially if it was a stated value policy.

The damage looks like some kids took it on a joy ride and got it scuffed up.

Drewbdo likes this.
  13. Drewbdo

Drewbdo Karting

Apr 8, 2016
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Current bid is up to $15,800 on Copart now.

Auction scheduled for tomorrow morning at 1000 HRS EDT, or just over 26 hours from now.

In case link above doesn't work, here's the URL: https://www.copart.com/lot/43168129

14. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    #2140 alexion, Oct 16, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    I understand what you mean, though I'm not sure that's the case. The line starts low and gets progressively higher - what kind of carpet or padding goes that high? The mats are like a quarter inch thick in these cars. The line, at it's highest point, looks about 3" from the floor. The rest of the carpeting looks bleached. I was also wondering if the removed rubber molding on the pillar could be the result of moisture/water damage.

***I looked at the pics again from the BAT listing and the the carpets might just be bleached from sun exposure. The steering wheel was definitely redone, and I can't think of any other reason besides sun damage. The bases of seats also look a bit dry.

15. Drewbdo

Drewbdo Karting

Apr 8, 2016
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Well, today is the day... The Mystery Mondi is due for auction at 10:00 EST (about 90 minutes from now). Copart shows the current bid at $16,600.

Anyone here bidding? I hope whoever ends up with the car will chime in on the thread (or start a new thread), and let us know what they find! :)

16. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    I wouldn't go more than $15k with the the damage I can see and the mystery of what lies ahead.

Temple and Drewbdo like this.
  17. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    For how much did it go?

18. Drewbdo

Drewbdo Karting

Apr 8, 2016
    Atlanta, Georgia
    I didn't see the end of the auction, and I don't know how to look up closed auctions / final prices on Copart. I'm sure it's there someplace, but I could not find it.

The last I saw, it was at $18,300 if I'm not mistaken. That was at about 11 AM, but it said "last updated at 10:15" or something. I'm not sure how long the auction period is live.

The site says the high bid amount has to be approved by the seller, which has to take place NLT 6 PM tomorrow.

19. Drewbdo

Drewbdo Karting

Apr 8, 2016
    Atlanta, Georgia
    The "Mystery Mondi" at Copart has dominated this thread the past few days. :) With the Copart auction presumably finished (pending bid approval by the seller), there probably won't be any further news (unless the new owner starts a thread here... **hint, hint!!!** o_O).

So, moving on, is anyone familiar with the "Mondi Mates", currently on eBay? Sitting nose-to-tail, with the same seller for both cars. Doesn't appear to be a reserve on either car. Possible "barn finds"?
    • 1985 (or 1982, depending on which line of the ad you read) Mondial 8 coupe, red/tan, cleaner looking of the two (IMO), plus the less common hardtop version. :)

• 1986 Mondial 3.2 cabriolet, red/black, scruffy-looking interior (or just in need of a good detail job?), front hood appears to have some damage / bent panel, with the "fun-in-the-sun" soft top :cool:

20. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    The Coupe (ZFFAD08A0C0038159) is an '82. Same car that was at BHCC and Craigslist recently.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/mondials-for-sale.488697/page-83#post-146802455
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/146855274/

Note that the Coupe has the TRX wheels and tires (metric and $$$) while the Cab appears to have the later wheels in 16" installed from a 3.2 Mondial.

Drewbdo likes this.
  21. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Drewbdo likes this.
  22. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    Those are some VERY questionable ads! The cab isn't a 3.2 - it definitely looks like a QV with the bumpers and intake (plus other small details). However, the listed VIN does state that it's an '86 3.2. I'd want to see an actual picture of the VIN that's on the car for confirmation.

Texbike

Drewbdo likes this.
  23. Drewbdo

Drewbdo Karting

Apr 8, 2016
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Wade, thank you for the info! Based on the link you provided for the coupe's introduction to the Mondial forum, it doesn't look like the previous owner (PolarGlade) kept the car very long. He posted his "purchased" thread July 29, 2016. In his second (and final) thread, he said the car was running. I wonder if he wasn't able to get the car to pass Colorado's emission testing, and decided to sell.

I'm thankful we don't have emission testing here in my little rural county.

The coupe ad says "38900" miles, but the dash photo looks like "64,089" if I'm reading it correctly... I'm not great at math, but I seem to detect a slight difference in those mileage numbers. o_O Based on the AutoCheck mileage of 59,213 in 2/2008, it hasn't been driven much in the past decade. :eek:

24. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Actually, PolarGlade had a Euro '81 while the Coupe we're talking about is a U.S. '82 (my Ex).

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/144832200/

My link pointing to his thread was only to show what a heat shield looks like (which I still own, left over from my Ex).

Btw, the heat shield is available for free to the next enthusiast-owner (shipping extra). $200 for Dealers and Flippers. :D

Drewbdo likes this.