vacuum line replacements | FerrariChat

vacuum line replacements

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by cdatte, Jun 19, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cdatte

cdatte Karting

Mar 1, 2007
    san diego
    Full Name:
    Chuck
    doing my major on a 89 mondial-t and replacing hoses.

for the vacuum lines I was going to silicon
    does anybody have a recommendation on a source and type ?
    I ran into things like thick wall, reinforced, HPS extruded silicone vacuum tubing, etc.

thanks

2. netman

netman Formula 3

Jun 17, 2008
    OC SoCal
    make sure the tubing can withstand in excess of the vacuum requirements to prevent collapse.

3. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Silicon vacuum hoses tend to slip off their fitting, some use a small tie to keep that from happening. But the oem rubber hose does not do this, so why not use the oem material? The oem vacuum hose is also designed for vacuum, the silicone hose specifications vary so widely it would be easy to get an inappropriate hose, eg. Proper thickness but too soft will not do it. If it is for the colour that silicon hoses come in, I get that, it is simply that sometimes function should lead the priority.

4. TommyA

TommyA Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2002
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tommy A
    Has anyone substitute the 1/2" vacuum line with Gates Green stripe coolant hose? Is there that much vacuum that it could collapse the hose?

5. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Yes -- vacuum lines have a large, stiff wall thickness for a reason.

6. TommyA

TommyA Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2002
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tommy A
    I'm having a hard time locating the 1/2 hose. NAPA has hose for PVC that they are saying I could use and willing to sell by the foot. Is that suitable for the application?

7. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #7 Steve Magnusson, Oct 15, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
    Went thru my supply of vacuum hoses, and actually Gates does make a 1/2" ID Green Stripe Vacuum Brake Hose:

https://www.gates.com/us/en/fluid-power/hydraulic-hose-and-couplings/air-brake-compressed-air/green-stripe-vacuum-brake-hose/p/3245-000000-000000/v/3276-04475

Don't have a specific recommendation for where to buy, but it shouldn't be rare. Here's a cross-section scan of a piece I had left over showing the extra reinforcement layers and large wall thickness (0.5" ID x 0.93" OD):
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    If the "NAPA PVC" suggestion seems similar then it might be OK too.

8. dersark_painclinic

dersark_painclinic Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian
    Tommy A,
    I ordered directly from Amazon or O'reilly auto part if there is one locally close to you.

2NA likes this.
  9. TommyA

TommyA Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2002
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tommy A
    Steve,
    I don't think that Gates makes this hose any longer.

10. TommyA

TommyA Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2002
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tommy A
    O'reilly does not have a 1/2" brake booster hose. It looks like I will have to get a 3,000 PSI hydraulic hose to withstand the vacuum unless you have another suggestion.

11. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I've no information on that (but can't believe that something like this is unobtanium as vacuum-assisted power brakes are still a thing). I did have a quick look at the brake vacuum hose on my TR, and it isn't quite as robust as the old piece of the Gates that I have (slightly smaller OD), but it's still very rigid. If you can "pinch" a length of hose closed by hand locally = it's probably too soft for a vacuum situation.

12. TommyA

TommyA Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2002
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tommy A
    That hose is really driving me out of my mind. Didn't realize it was gonna become a project...
    Ok here it goes.. Gates green stripe 1/2 ID 27211 is no longer available. They make it in 5/8 and 3/4. They do have a really cheap 1/2 ID #27231.
    Will the 5/8 work? It has an OD of 1 1/16 ?

13. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
  14. JCR

JCR F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    Find the closest metric equivalent.

15. Reid

Reid Karting

May 18, 2018
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    Reid Fox
    For the larger ID hose like 1/2 or 3/4 I found that braided hydraulic line works well - industrial supply by the foot.

16. TommyA

TommyA Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2002
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tommy A
    Ok one problem solved. Continental is making a heavy wall 1/2" vacuum brake line #65103. They only sell it in 50 foot roll. Local suppliers don't have it. Only online about $5,0 a foot. I just have to find another 2 people that are in need to replace so we can share.

17. TommyA

TommyA Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2002
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tommy A
    I don't think this hose will work. It's good to only 9hg. The Conti and Gates are good to 25hg

18. Reid

Reid Karting

May 18, 2018
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    Reid Fox
    I just got some greenline hose yesterday in Vancouver, not sure what supplier though, it's still out there.

19. TommyA

TommyA Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2002
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tommy A
    Reid,
    Do you mean Greenstripe? I have checked with gates distribution in KY and they confirmed that there is no stock in the US.

20. Reid

Reid Karting

May 18, 2018
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    Reid Fox