Loss of electrical power | FerrariChat

Loss of electrical power

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by adrian456gta, Oct 6, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. adrian456gta

adrian456gta Karting

Mar 23, 2017
    Kalgoorle Wa
    Full Name:
    Adrian Harper
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Had a strange issue where the car losses power and wouldn’t change gear, gta, Pulled over switched the car off then, when I tried to start it seemed the battery was flat, usual starter motor clicks and the dash lights dimming etc. But it wasn’t a couple of minutes later it was fine and started first go and drove fine. I’m assuming a loose or bad connection on the main power or earth leads. Battery terminals etc good and main earth to the body good, where should I start looking?

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #2 Qavion, Oct 6, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
    Weird. I've had problems which were only evident when the car was hot, but I wouldn't expect a two minute cooldown to fix a problem (and then have the problem stay away for the rest of the drive).

Anyway, do the basics. Check battery voltage (car running and not running). If you've already checked the battery connections, check the alternator connections (for security and contamination).

Some questions for the experts:

Does the inertia switch on a GTA have any affect on the engine and on starter cranking?
    Does the immobiliser on the 456GTA stop engine cranking?

Weren't you doing some work on your airconditioning system? Have you disturbed something?

3. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    May not be any help, but I had an identical problem a few years ago with my Maserati and it was down to a bad earth.

Qavion likes this.
  4. Gizzi

Gizzi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 3, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Gezim
    Voltage drop to the starter motor activator. Common problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Starter motor activator? What's this? The starter solenoid? The starter relay? What is the common fix?

6. Gizzi

Gizzi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 3, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Gezim
    The trigger wire to the solenoid. They get a voltage drop when hot. Let the vehicle cool Down a bit, and the voltage with increase enough to activate the solenoid again. It just needs a relay fitted, but the activator wire is also a ground sense for the ECU, so a dropping resistor needs to be fitted. You can use a ballast resistor, but I’ve used 5w ceramic resistors because they don’t fail.

7. Gizzi

Gizzi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 3, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Gezim
    But the transmission issue won’t be related to it. That could have just required a stop and restart.

8. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Thanks, but I don't understand why you would be driving along and the car would go dead (electrically). The starter circuit wouldn't be active at this time. Or is it related to this...

Assuming the 456 is similar to the 550, when you turn the key to START, you are providing battery voltage to the starter solenoid via the starter relay (which is closed by the immobiliser). I don't see what relationship this circuit has to (Motronic?) ECU grounds.

Perhaps I'm assuming too much :D

9. Gizzi

Gizzi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 3, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Gezim
    He didn’t say the car lost power, he said the car wouldn’t shift gear. The non cranking fault when hot is usually a voltage drop issue. It’s a common problem with the 456’s.

10. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Forgive me for jumping to conclusions

11. Gizzi

Gizzi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 3, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Gezim
    I’m not saying you’re jumping to conclusions, but he doesn’t say the car goes dead, it looses power (I’m assuming horse power) and doesn’t change gear. To me that indicated he could still drive the car, but it was gutless and wouldn’t change gear.
    I’m only trying to offer some help here. I’m a career Auto Elec, (35 years) with my own company, and we do a lot of work on European vehicles. In any case I hope he gets it sorted.

Qavion likes this.
  12. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Despite being a career (non-automotive) "electrician" myself, and having redrawn both the F355 and F550 wiring diagrams line by line to help with problem diagnosis, I'm still having trouble understanding how the starter circuit would suddenly cause the car to lose power of any kind unless there was a fault with the ignition switch or starter relay. How would adding a load resistor to the starter circuit help if the starter circuit is not even supposed to be active?

At this point, we don't have any useful diagrams for the 456 (at least none which I can relate to) and the 550 diagrams don't always make sense (For example, they show a 4-position ignition switch rather than a 3 position switch)

550 Engine Interface/HVAC wiring

I'm also trying to help. As you know, Adrian lives in a rather remote region of Australia, so he probably needs some very specific instructions to give to his basic auto electrician (or some suggestions for himself such as a simple relay replacement or cleaning of specific earth lugs).

Anyway, looking forward to some feedback from Adrian.

13. Gizzi

Gizzi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 3, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Gezim
    I didnt say the starter issue caused the loss of power/shifting issue. I said the non cranking would be a voltage drop to the starter. The shifting issue could have just been a stop/restart cycle requirement. With Ferrari Electrics, as I’m sure you know, they can be very touchy when it comes to voltage drops, especially upon start up, more so if the battery is below par. As for your credentials as an electrician, I don’t question them, but automotive DC is my specialty. I also own a 456GT and have spent innumerable hours working on it, mechanically and obviously electrically. I’ve got a thread on some of the work I’ve done on it in the Aussie section (enter at your own risk! Lol) which is a very small section of what I’ve done on the car.
    The starter activator signal also goes to the ECU. The ECU looks for a circuit through the solenoid, so there is a small voltage there at all times. When you fit an aux start relay to bypass the voltage drop to it, the small amount of voltage there is enough to keep the aux relay engaged and will cause the starter motor to run ‘in mesh’ and destroy it. To overcome this, I use a 5 watt resistor (ceramic) as a load resistor for the activator signal, and once the engine has started, the resistor drops the voltage enough to stop the relay being energised and the starter will disengage. This is very common on many European vehicles, especiallly BMW’s, which also have a signal from the ECU to the starter activator, but it (the ecu) uses this circuit to complete some of the internal grounds, and when open circuited, the car barely runs (another tip for the BMW folk).
    Anyway, I’m getting RSI from all this typing. I’m also in Australia, and know the car Adrian has bought (Ex Tassie, Ex Pioneer promotional car). If he needs any help, I’m happy to speak to him over the phone. He can PM me if he wants.

Qavion likes this.