Shift shaft seal (again) | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Shift shaft seal (again)

Discussion in '308/328' started by jrairplane, Nov 5, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    For anyone in the UK needing the earlier X seals (carb and early injected cars), TommyA kindly sent me a few sets. Richard (Freddie328) has a source for the later ones.

2. Jagerocks

Jagerocks Karting

Sep 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    JASON
    So I got the shaft seals from Unobtainium Ferrari parts. Well didnt go that good. The seals are soooo tight inside dia. That the s.shaft rolls the lip over and tears it. And I use assembly lube.
    So I ended up using the OEM seals from superformance and that went smooth. Hope it will seal. But they did seem not bad and allot better then the ones that came out.

3. Hinecker

Hinecker Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2011
    Hello Jason,
    Ran into the same problem and ordered both seals from Superformance… After a week or so, the outer seal started leaking oil (no idea if the inner seal was leaking oil into the transmission).
    So... back to my garage and start all over again, now the question was; Now what?
    I decided to go to a local dealer which only sells seals... quality seals. We went through the catalog and found the correct size, specially designed for pneumatic purposes. Since it was the right size and price was 6 Euros each I decided to give it a try.
    Guess what? Not a drop in almost 7 years.

If you want to give it a try, just let me know. Keep in mind that I live in Spain, so shipping does take some time. Apart from that I need the correct sizes, that is ID, OD and height.

Just my experience.

John.

4. Andy 308GTB

Andy 308GTB F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Jun 2, 2004
    Essex, UK
    Full Name:
    Andy M
    If it gives you some hope, I fitted the Superformance seals a few years back and I've not had a problem.
    I'm no master mechanic, I just followed the well documented steps on this forum.

Milkshaker0007 likes this.
  5. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    I replaced my seals with X seals in January this year. What I did on my 328 was use emery paper on the end of the shift rod to ensure no burrs were present and to dull the edge. This was done after I realized I was unable to insert it by hand. Then after lubricating the rod and the seals I grasped the unfinished portion of the shift rod with vice grips and rotated the rod as I pushed. It required some force but the rod passed through each seal. It was re-lubricated after passing through the exterior seal. Given the effort involved I was concerned about leakage for a while. The shifter was initially stiff, so stiff that the spring loading of the shifter would not return (by spring) to the in between neutral position without me assisting it. But now it is fine and does not leak.

6. Jagerocks

Jagerocks Karting

Sep 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    JASON
    Ya I did all that and still tore the seal. well ill see how it goes not allot of faith in the OEM seal but well see. live and learn.

7. TommyA

TommyA Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2002
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tommy A
    Jason,
    Just last week I did mine on the same vehicle as yours and replaced them with the X seal from MaMaster. The first was tough to install but the other was a snap. I did not have to heat them up or anything. The shaft moves with a slight more resistance than the factory seal. What I did was install the seal 3/4 of the way in to the bore with the last 1/4 of the seal folded inwards. After that it was just a matter of seating it all around. I will get home tomorrow and will post some pictures to help you out.

8. Jagerocks

Jagerocks Karting

Sep 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    JASON
    Thanks both you for the comments. Its helpful. I have the superformance seals installed now and well see how it goes.
    Good thing is I can do it again allot faster..lol

Milkshaker0007 likes this.
  9. Milkshaker0007

Milkshaker0007 Formula Junior

Sep 22, 2012
    Midlands,uk
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I also used same seals last year when I changed both pan gaskets, still going strong, no leaks

10. Jagerocks

Jagerocks Karting

Sep 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    JASON
    Well I have got both pans back on and didnt forget the trans shifter detent balls and springs.
    Now..... does anyone know if I can can use this in the trans or transfer case.
    I thought I was to add a gear friction additive. Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Jagerocks

Jagerocks Karting

Sep 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    JASON
    Do I need a additive for the transfer case and trans.

12. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Your LSD clutch disks won’t grip as designed. Just use Redline MTL.

Freddie328 likes this.
  13. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    If you're using proper fluid, no.

14. Jagerocks

Jagerocks Karting

Sep 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    JASON
  15. Jagerocks

Jagerocks Karting

Sep 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    JASON
    Well I have added 5L and still not coming out the top fill hole..... mind you I had the trans pan off and drained all 4 plugs....thinking it's just really empty it did sit open for 1 week draining.....ok to keep adding more Motul.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. Jagerocks

Jagerocks Karting

Sep 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    JASON
    Sorry make that 6L added and still not coming out of fill plug.?? Should I keep going. Also the cars on a hoist so it is on a flat surface.

17. Jagerocks

Jagerocks Karting

Sep 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    JASON
  18. Jagerocks

Jagerocks Karting

Sep 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    JASON
    So what I did was drain the over fill amount from the trans fill plug hole. Then installed transfercase upper plug in above photo back in without adding anymore from there because I'm feeling theres been more added than needed. So drain trans fill till it trickled out....so about 5L maybe a bit more..it was open and dripping for about a week at least while parts were coming....you guys think I'm ok then....at least I feel better about catching the over fill mistake.
    Also I used the 75w90 Motul and 2 liquid moly friction additives....1 does 2.5L so x2 was added.

19. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    That plug D is not where the oil is supposed to come out. Look on the side of the gear box that is facing the rear bumper. There is another fill plug that you are supposed to remove and observe the excess fluid oozing out, At 6L, there will be a lot of excess fluid.

20. Jagerocks

Jagerocks Karting

Sep 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    JASON
    Ya I realize that now. Thought I was to fill it to the case top plug. All good now.

21. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Jason, did you miss my comment about the additive not being compatible with your LSD?

22. eracer

eracer Karting

May 29, 2009
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Eric W.
    Hi Jason, just as an FYI for you, your car always had Mobil 1 synthetic gear lube in it and it always shifted beautifully, hot or cold. You can't go wrong with Mobil 1.

Sent from my moto g(6) using FerrariChat.com mobile app

23. Jagerocks

Jagerocks Karting

Sep 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    JASON
    Hey Derekw
    I must have missed your comment I guess. I read on here that Motul 75w90ns was ok to use and seemed to have good results. As for the additive I was under the impression it was ok...am I wrong?

24. Jagerocks

Jagerocks Karting

Sep 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    JASON
    No ii didnt