Mondial Electrical Questions | FerrariChat

Mondial Electrical Questions

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by vcbio, Oct 15, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vcbio

vcbio Rookie

Oct 6, 2019
    Flemington, NJ
    Full Name:
    Vincent Biondo
    Hi, Just joined Ferrari Chat last week. Purchased a 85 QV Mondial cab last month that has been sitting in garage for 6 years. Not sure If it was driven into the garage or pushed. It has at least one electrical issue so far as it energies the starter at key position 2. Key switch is OK. seems to be back feeding from the small white wire from fuse box. But before I dive in I should explain that there are 3 extra relays next to the fuse box laying on the inner fender. one works the headlight motors by splicing the parking light Violet wire at terminal X. That will do the job but is it necessary? Haven't figured out the other 2 yet. Wiring novice nightmare! They spliced a ground wire (within 2 inches from the bolt point) to a green wire, which is spliced into two yellow wires then one yellow spliced to a blue wire. Before I alter anything, I have read some threads that mention adding relays to cure some issues. Is there some thread I could read with suggested relay upgrades?
    Thanks for the help.

2. AndruL

AndruL Karting

Apr 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    AndruL
    Sounds like relays for aftermarket alarm systems that would flash the lights when armed/disarmed. Also commonly done is adding relays to cut off the fuel pump circuit on the fuse board to prevent the car from starting.

3. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    If it is an aftermarket alarm/ immob unit, it is probably mounted on the reverse of the plate the passenger puts his feet on.
    I have the wiring diagrams for the 3.2 euro car if you need help

4. hazenpad

hazenpad Rookie

Sep 20, 2019
    I would be interested in the wiring diagrams. Would there be much difference with a US 3.2 cabriolet?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met FerrariChat

5. Subito Grigio

Subito Grigio Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2009
    Very smart to begin reading here first. Welcome!

Lots to read and check on the car.

In my view, the condition of the gas tanks is a critical first step. Do they contain any rust....

Best Wishes,

SB

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. vcbio

vcbio Rookie

Oct 6, 2019
    Flemington, NJ
    Full Name:
    Vincent Biondo
    I checked the wires the other two relays are switching, one for the up direction of the headlight covers and other controls the down direction?? There might be an issue in the fuse box that left the factory relays unusable.
    I drained the gas tanks and refilled with fresh fuel with a can of "Liqui Molly Jectron" fuel injection cleaner mixed in (don't know where any rust could form as the tanks are aluminum). I pulled the hose off the fuel filter and was going to circulate for a while to make sure the pump was flushed, then Was going to pull injectors. put the lot of them in a container and turn on the pump to check flow and spray pattern. That's when I noticed the engine cranking at ign switch position 2.