575M cam belt noise | FerrariChat

575M cam belt noise

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Dan575M, Oct 12, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dan575M

Dan575M Rookie

May 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Dan Luke Halfhill
    Hi all. So, I have a 575M making noise from the lower cam belt drive gear. After removing the belt (driver side), I found the gear loose on the shaft. After pulling the gear I found a badly worn woodruff key and worn key slot on the shaft.
    So I guess I need to replace the pinion gear now, which means pulling the gear cover from the front of the engine. Anybody care to share any tips or advice for this job? Many thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    There is quite a bit on that in the 456/550/575 forum. I believe one of the bearings in there was reproduced recently, too, to a very high standard.

Dan575M likes this.
  3. Dan575M

Dan575M Rookie

May 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Dan Luke Halfhill
    Thanks Taz. Your right, lots of info in that forum! Cheers!

4. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Make sure you have all the new parts in hand before you start the job. The pinion gearshafts were in very short supply awhile back.

Moorfan did a really nice job of documenting (with photos) the bearing replacement in his marathon thread a few years ago.

Dan575M likes this.
  5. Dan575M

Dan575M Rookie

May 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Dan Luke Halfhill
    Well, 5 hours of gentle nudging (much cursing) and the front gear cover came off! Some genius decided to slather, I mean slather, red lock tight on the entire crankshaft snout. I know some sealant gets put on there to keep the oil at bay, but geez. The oil pump drive gear was not exactly sliding off the crankshaft easily.
    So next question: I need to replace one of the cam belt pinion gears (driver side, due to worn woodruff key slot). How on earth is the gear supposed to get pressed out of the cover??
    I’d like to keep the bearings as they are working perfectly and feel smooth. But, do they get trashed when the gears come off? I’m sure this topic has been covered a million times but I can’t seem to find the info I need. Thanks folks!

6. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Dan - again, the best reference on how to do this is Moorfan's thread here: https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/143856462/. Starting at about post 728 Pete details the removal of the front cover & the removal of the bearings with a Draper type puller. Yes, the bearings (at least their outer seals) get trashed in the process.

Dan575M likes this.
  7. Dan575M

Dan575M Rookie

May 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Dan Luke Halfhill
    Post 754 is EXACTLY what I was looking for!! Thank you so much!
    I guess there is no way of salvaging the old original bearings. Too bad, but at least there is a respectable replacement. The thought of putting a no-name China bearing back in gives me the creeps!