Ferrari Fears | FerrariChat

Ferrari Fears

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Clyde Romero, Oct 16, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Clyde Romero

Clyde Romero Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    So, if you are reading this you have gone out to your prancing horse and put the key in it and it didn’t start. Or worse yet your out in the car and it doesn’t start. Or worst yet you see a fluid puddle under the car. Or your driving the car and it stops on you. And let’s not forget smoke coming from the engine compartment. Yes, this strikes fear into every Ferrari owner like no other fear, other than finding out you have an IRS audit or someone that should not be pregnant is!

Well fear not these cars are unbelievably reliable, I have owned them since 1986, at the time I had a 1984 308 GTB QV that I put 118K on it, I got it with 10K on it, sold it to the late Ted Rutland, I hear its still running around in the Atlanta area with over 140k on it, never left me anywhere always ran. My current cars are a 1993 512TR that has 109K on it, picked it up with 10k, never left me anywhere, drove to every F-1 race at Indy when it was there, parked it in peoples front yard, car had more finger prints on it than the local FBI office at the end of the day. Drove it to Montreal for the F-1 races, key west, New Orleans, as Johnny cash said in his song. I’ve been everywhere man. So that's around 200k of Ferrari miles without a catastrophic failure not bad.

So, the majority of you worked hard, saved, and wished to own this car. Yet when I go to the few events in my local area, you see owners who never drive the cars. Hmm you have to wonder why? They are insured, and to be totally honest, you are never going to get the so-called asking price that’s in the FML or Cav for the car when you go to sell it. What keeps you from driving it? Fear? You know its funny at every event I ever attended there has never been an award given to the Ferrari with the highest mileage, wonder why?

There are few machines that have as many moving parts as a helicopter, and helicopters fly. And when they suffer a maintenance malfunction they come down hard, or worse yet being shot down( that happened to me several times, another story, not here) And how do I know this, I was a helicopter pilot in Vietnam. Yes I am old 69. And you know what we found out, that the more you flew the birds, the more reliable they were. Hangar queens were dangerous. The same goes for our cars. you must use them for them to be reliable.

The more you use them the more reliable they are. I just bought in may of this year a 2003 575 that had 26k on it over 16 years. Why on earth would you buy a $250k car and not drive it? Its' like buying a house and not living in it. I have already put 6k on it. Gentleman and ladies out there, drive the cars. If your 50 years old or older and own one, which you most likely do because your reading this, you more than half way thru the cut, in other words unless you going to live to 100, you better get out there and enjoy life in that car! For what it’s worth I do my own maintenance on the car, remember Italians didn’t put anyone on the moon, we did! Its not that hard and it is very rewarding, even if you have deep pockets and don’t mind paying $185+/hour for labor.
    And now you have YouTube with every thing on internet, non of this was available when we started working on our cars back in the 1980's.

So that that’s it boys and girls, I will be on the road this winter heading up north in the 575, yes it has a heater and windshield wipers that work.
    Put your fears aside and drive!

A Ferrari is like a condom, most fun when used!

Gotta go

2. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Hehehehe..... love it..... absolutely right, and inspiring at that!

Pawilly, paulchua and Clyde Romero like this.
  3. Clyde Romero

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    Thank you for the comments
    The Porsche and BMW are always out there driving there cars taking the kids to school shopping you get the idea
    We need to do the same
    Never had a door ding
    Most people respect the car and even ask if they can take a picture of it
    Imagine that!
    I go to the dry cleaner in the 512 TR and grocery shopping in it and the looks you get when you put the groceries in the front !
    Priceless
    The 575 is stealth until they see the shields and then they say is that a Ferrari?
    Wear the paint off it I say
    Until then

4. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    You answered your own question.
    No one wants to buy a used condom, if you want to sell it, it has to be brand new.

5. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Good post, OP.
    If I've learned anything on F-chat, there are many ways to enjoy the Ferrari hobby. Some like cleaning them, some like collecting, some l tracking, others showing off at cars & coffee. Etc, etc. Me? I enjoy an enthusiastic back roads romp flipping the paddles, as well a leisurely date night drive with the missus while I drive in auto/comfort mode. There really is no wrong way to enjoy a Ferrari. A wise F-chatter, told me "We must never forget how lucky we are to own these cars".
    T (who is currently rearranging his Friday morning schedule so he can enjoy a drive in his Ferrari)

6. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I've never been a garage queen museum curator. They have always been driven....... whether it's to the Home Depot or Safeway (There is actually room in the nose of an F40 for groceries), or the race track or a 1500 mile road trip. The more they are used, the better they work.

I don't regret a single mile, and if you are buying one of these cars, why on earth would you go for one that has sat and rotted that will need all kinds of work to get it to actually work, rather than a car that has been loved, maintained and enjoyed. The only reason I can think of is so that when you get together with the other poseurs, you can brag about how few miles you have at a C&C car show (off) event.

7. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    Great post and i agreee wholeheartedly but you´re missing the point. Most Ferrari owners have their cars as conversation pieces and status objects. Also they don´t want to lose money.

8. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I average about 1000 miles/month split among several cars. My 458 Spider now has 32K miles and climbing rapidly...I use it on 3500 mile road trips and running errands locally...never skipped a beat and never got any hate from anyone...despite it being triple yellow and me driving like a scolded cat. :D
    Love ‘me, drive ‘em....tomorrow is not promised.

9. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Agree 100%. The more you drive them, the better they run! Too many buyers that can't put miles on them cause' that causes them to loose value.

10. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    looks like we have similar philosophies clarence !
    and cars.... :)

daytona355, paulchua and Clyde Romero like this.
  11. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Well I for one use both condoms and Ferraris as God and Enzo intended, I sit back and just stare at their beauty, the curves and the smells...a symphony for the senses. They have no practical use after all.

12. Clyde Romero

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    me I like to hunting Porsches with mine
    they are fun to catch and watch them frown!!

marce, tomc and daytona355 like this.
  13. Clyde Romero

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    go for it I say
    you are just like me
    I am leaving this weekend in the 575 for Charleston SC with the girlfriend
    it suppose to rain
    car has wipers
    until then
    tomorrow is promised to no one!

daytona355 and italiafan like this.
  14. Clyde Romero

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    too each there own
    I say
    best of luck with that strategy

15. Clyde Romero

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    you are spot on
    when I have PDI cars for people I tell them that if the car hasn't been driven and used the repairs will be huge
    seals and thermostats, heater controls and the like have to used regularly for proper operation
    but most of the time all they want as my friend would say " Ferrari owners want a used car with less than zero miles"
    I laughed but he is telling the truth.
    just look at the FML
    everyone of the Ferraris I have bought the biggest write up was DEAD BATTERY !
    they never drove the car !

daytona355 and paulchua like this.
  16. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    You like the smell of a condom?
    :)

308 milano and Zed82 like this.
  17. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I enjoyed your post tremendously, also let me say, thank you for your service! I share your philosophy these cars are first and foremost meant to be enjoyed (read: driven regularly.) My view notwithstanding, I'm agnostic toward those that disagree with us for whatever reason.

Some folks buy these as static art objects, collectible items to be checked off, or the proverbial speculator. I've come to believe everybody enjoys Ferrari in their own way. The key facet being, what somebody does (or does not) with their property does not detract in any way my enjoyment of my Ferrari, on the contrary, it makes my drives that much more special, because it only makes my cars that much more of a rarer sight on the road!

Continue to drive with joy and good health!

18. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    Right on, Clyde. I ran errands in mine the other day, just because I could.

sjd

Clyde Romero likes this.
  19. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I got a parking ticket in mine, parked on double yellows outside the post office, as I do every day in the Rangie usually, but inspired by this thread. Funny as, the one day I use the ferrari, a warden comes along, I’ve parked the same place every day for three years, only ever had one before this!

psych0hans and Clyde Romero like this.
  20. Gregc57

Gregc57 Rookie

Apr 3, 2019
    LI, NY, USA
    Full Name:
    Gregory M. Condemi
    I don't own an F car, but dream of owning one. When it happens, I'm driving it! I'm 62 now, and there's no time like the present!
    Greg

21. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    New, not used.....McLaren owners are accustomed to the used smell because they always get screwed by Corporate. I think they even have their own logo brand.

psych0hans, Jon Von Bon and italiafan like this.
  22. Clyde Romero

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    Man
    It’s not a ticket
    It’s a jealous invite !
    Press on

daytona355 likes this.
  23. Clyde Romero

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    Sir
    I am floored and speechless at this point
    I though you only showed up to kick people off!
    Didn’t know my post would touch so many so soon considering I am new member
    I will continue to write as I feel within the boundaries of the forum rules and continue driving these great machines
    I know others will read this so be forewarned I am a Formula one fan and have been to numerous F-1 races overseas, don’t hate me I was an international airline pilot and had to do something on the overnights!
    In fact I will celebrate my 70 birthday at SPA next year so look for my upcoming post on the F-1 section soon
    Once again thank so for having me
    I am truly honored to be among all of you
    REMEMBER the F in Ferrari is for FUN !

24. vdettore

vdettore Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2017
    Georgia Coast
    Full Name:
    Vince
    Great post
    Thank you

25. Chewys5

Chewys5 Formula 3
    Miami 2018 Owner

May 17, 2010
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn R
    I drive the HELL out of my car and put 57800 miles on the original clutch ( F1 by the way ). Why would you own a car you never drove?

Clyde Romero, Lusso123 and daytona355 like this.