Help with stolen Rolex watch | FerrariChat

Help with stolen Rolex watch

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by Xrayv8, Sep 14, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Xrayv8

Xrayv8 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 18, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Xray
    A friend of mine had his Daytona (10+ year old) stolen outside of Toronto and made a police report and notified Rolex as well of the theft. He's goes in search of a replacement which was found on a pre-owned website from Florida that was subsequently sold to a guy in NJ. Contacted the pre-owned shop and asked if the buyer would sell him the watch so both were put in contact with each other. My friend contact the guy who bought the watch as an interetsed party to buy from him (did not disclose that it was his) and asked to confirm the Serial # for authenticity, which they did and it is definately his stolen piece.

Question is, what can local US authorities do to get the watch back to original lowner? Or is this something that canadian authorities have to work with the US law enforcement to get watch back? The main reason he is going through all this trouble is mainly because of sentimental value as has for him, as it was given to him by his late father.

2. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I’ve had instances where something I owned was stolen and later turned up. The local police were very helpful in recovery and associated arrests. I’ve also had an instance where I purchased an art print that turned out to be fake. Again, the local police with aid of my attorney were able to arrest the fraudsters. A friendly demeanor coupled with receptive detectives are the key. It also wouldn’t hurt to include a reward in the form of a donation to the local PD cause.

3. Principissimo

Principissimo Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2015
    Milano
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    How was it stolen?

4. Xrayv8

Xrayv8 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 18, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Xray
    Hard to believe, but he took it off to wash his hands and left it on the counter @ starbucks, only to remember it half an hor later down the road. When he went back the starbucks it was gone and no cameras in the coffee shop to review. I know very hard to believe, but that the honest story.

Principissimo likes this.
  5. Principissimo

Sep 14, 2015
    Milano
    Full Name:
    Bruno
  6. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    That’s more abandoned than stolen.

Matt

7. definitelysomeday

definitelysomeday Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
    If the dealer in FL bought it in good faith, and followed the local laws about buying from the public (finger prints, held for 30 days, etc) - I don't know that there is anything legally that can be done to the watch dealer. The police should be able to track the watch back to its source if the dealer did what he is supposed to do.

8. JJ

JJ F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 6, 2010
    PA
    Full Name:
    I don't know the local laws, but I certainly would not consider this watch to be stolen. It was lost, IMO.

9. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Side note will be : you will have to buy it back from the dealer for what he paid. Ask me how I know .... best , Kirk.

19633500GT likes this.
  10. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Did you friend file an insurance claim on the loss?

11. definitelysomeday

definitelysomeday Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
    That is how I remembered it, but wasn't sure if that had changed.

12. Xrayv8

Xrayv8 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 18, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Xray
    Yes, he did file the claim after he notified Rolex that it had been stolen. He's notified the local Canadian authorities with the info so, we'll see how it turns out.

13. poljav

poljav F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Pol J.
    Not to diminish his experience, sounds more "lost" than "stolen", no?

14. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

On a side note , he may get ~ 2500 from his homeowners policy as non scheduled item. I did once for a stolen watch.

15. Principissimo

Sep 14, 2015
    Milano
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    Tend to agree

16. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Most people don't realize it but since he filed a claim with the insurance company, sentimental or not, he no longer has any claim to that watch. He has been paid for it, any salvage rights belong to the insurance company.

And I also agree, that watch wasn't stolen.

3604u and albert328gts like this.
  17. FLORIDAsnakeEyes

FLORIDAsnakeEyes Formula 3

Jul 7, 2015
    Sarasota, Florida
    Full Name:
    OC
    Astounding you think that it was stolen. Christ. You lose something, it's no longer yours unfortunately.

I had a friend that went to Dubai for 8 months, left his Ferrari at a shop. Ha has so many cars he forgot about it..

Guess what..he no longer owns that Ferrari, the shop does.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

18. kdf398

kdf398 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Pasadena
    Full Name:
    Keith
    It is theft. At least in California and probably most other states as well. CA Penal Code 485: "One who finds lost property under circumstances which give him knowledge or means of inquiry as to the true owner, and who appropriates such property to his own use without first making reasonable and just efforts to find the owner and restore the property to him, is guilty of theft."

Here, as discussed, the lost watch is identifiable via serial number and the person who found it at Starbucks could have and should have made the reasonable efforts to return it to the owner.

19. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Oh Please!!!

"Oh! What is this? It looks like a Rolex watch left on the men's room sink. Hey! Does this belong to anyone here?"
    No reply from anyone because the bathroom is empty.​
    "Hey look there is a serial number on it. I'll call Rolex and try to see who owns it."
    Rolex does NOT share owner information and won't even confirm a Rolex serial number.
    All portions of the law have been complied with. Watch has a new owner.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

20. kdf398

kdf398 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Pasadena
    Full Name:
    Keith
    I think a jury would find that all portions of the law were not complied with. Specifically, it would be reasonable for someone who finds a Rolex in the Starbucks bathroom to (a) turn it into the Manager at Starbucks or (b) turn it in to the Police. Both of these are reasonable and just efforts. Of course, the finder did not do this because he instead intended to take possession of a piece of property that he knew was not his.

21. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Ok, Keith whatever you say. Tell you what, you leave your Rolex on the bathroom sink at a Starbucks then let me know when you do it :D

19633500GT likes this.
  22. kdf398

kdf398 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Pasadena
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Knowing my local Starbucks bathroom as I do, if I did leave my Rolex on the sink for any extended period of time, I am not so sure I would want it back !

23. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    LOL