Timimg Belts | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Timimg Belts

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by turbo-joe, Dec 9, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    I just dont see how doing less wld make something corrode more than using it alot, if its not for the environment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    So how did u decide to do the belts now?

3. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    1. Is the Hill engineering tensioner bearing better than the ferrari piece?
    Yes - see this:
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/just-arrived-new-hill-engineering-tr-512tr-512m-tensioner-bearings.544388/#post-145196778

2. Is the Gold Connector kit by Dave Helms worth the $2362 price tag?
    Yes - but only if your car has areas of high corrosion in the electrical connections. If you are chasing gremlins... go for it.

3. Has anyone changed the water pump during a major.
    Yes - see this:
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/83958-major-2016-cooling-system.516192/

4. Valve shims - are the modern shims hardened on both sides?
    Yes

5. Anyone tried a zero-pressure coolant system?
    Not me

Have fun!

4. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    I'm curious to find out if my hypothesis is correct. I got the car in 2000. The last major was done by Shelton Ferrari at 14,000 miles in 1999. By 2005 it had 30K on the odometer and was leaking pretty badly from the rear main seal and the clutch disc was toast. I could not tell the old belts from the new (I still have the belts). I changed the serpentine belt on my Nissan pickup at 110,000 miles (10 years) and it looked good, so why should Ferrari belts go bad after 5 or 10 thousand miles?
    Maybe I'll find the belts are frayed and cracked, but I think if you leave the belts stationary for too long they stiffen. The TR belts are covered, so environmental factors should be minimal.
    Same with the plugs - they are iridium and are meant to last 100,000 miles. I'll check them, but I don't plan on replacing them Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Looking forward to seeing what you find! Every 2 or z3 years def seems like overkill and ive though that for a while

turbo-joe likes this.
  6. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    JIMBO- consider starting a new thread. That we we won’t step on the op’s (Turbo-Joe) thread.

7. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    no problem for me ;)
    good to get knowledge about how the owners handle all
    for me important was what F says. found an insurance with all full covered ( so engine- and gearbox damage ) but this insurance only will pay when the service records are complete as F says

just doing on my BB a major and have been so so much positive surprised when I got the new belts.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

have been cutted directly beside :)
    never had this before, so I think have been more than lucky :) even they are 4 years old

vincenzo likes this.
  8. Clyde Romero

Clyde Romero Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    For what it’s worth
    I am a 1993 512 TR owner bought the car in 1996 with 10k on it
    It now has 109k on it
    I do my own services
    Change the belts at 40k miles
    Never had an issue
    But I drive the car !

ago car nut and vincenzo like this.
  9. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    how long ago ( years ) was it when you changed the belts? now nearky 70k miles

10. Clyde Romero

Clyde Romero Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    I do the belts every 40k miles
    I don’t worry about years
    I drive my car
    Never seen a belt brake if you drive the car
    In fact they say you can lift the engine with a timing belt

11. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    God bless!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

12. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Keep in mind:
    The BELT has strong, embedded cords that are protected by layers of rubber - impossible to break while driving.
    The TEETH have no such cord and will shear off when the rubber degrades over TIME.

The time issue has already been beat to death here... but hopefully your 40k miles keep you within 5 years or less!

13. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    I just got the belts off and they look fine after 14 years and 36,000 miles. I agree with Clyde. Driving them keeps them young.

14. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Lets not forget that a 355 has 5 vales per cylinder and way higher revs, completly different forces at bay.

i suspect that on the flat 12s any belt issues are related to tensioner bearings.

I used to do every 5-7 years due to oil leaks. Now Im heading for year 8 and its dry as ever. I look at the teeth and see if there any cracks between.
    Maybe Ill go for 14 years or oil leaks whichever come first.

Yes if they sit the belt takes a set, best to use the car fairly regularily.

15. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

As I mentioned in an earlier thread, I had read 8 years for a Boxer.

The engine is not high reving at 6,600 rpm redline, as Boxerman states. I think I was there maybe, never. At high 5K- low 6K it's ready for a shift. Hell thats what a chevy 454 will do and noone ever thought it was highly stressed motor.

My 308, I do every 6 years and both sets of belts I have changed looked like new with a slight rounding of the edges. The first major was at WWOC and I did not get the parts back they changed. I still have both sets for the 308 and the 1 set from the Boxer.

Of course new tensoner bearings always go on. And the sets I have
    taken off looked perfect.

I also drive my cars frequently. Sitting is not a good thing for any mechanical device. I good friend with a health issue is finding this out as he has been unable to use his cars the last few years. Myself and a couple other friends have been resolving issues on his cars ranging from fuel to electrics. It has really reinforced my thoughts on garage queens and their real mechanical state.

I know Ferrari originally had certain numbers in thier OM, why would they go down as I can't imagine the new belts have been mfg to a lesser spec.

It's all personal, but I'm a skeptical NY'er anyway