430/Spider Scud/16m handling | FerrariChat

430/Spider Scud/16m handling

Discussion in '360/430' started by Underblu, Oct 17, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Underblu

Underblu Rookie

Apr 21, 2016
    As a Porsche guy my whole life, I’ve often lusted after those Italian beauties with the prancing horse on the hood. Right before I pull the trigger on a new Porsche I always get a little wanderlust.

The same thing is happening again this year although I’m really looking hard at pulling the trigger. I’m an open top guy so I’ve narrowed my choices down to a 430 Spyder MT, a 458 Spyder or possibly a 430 Scud 16m.

My current ride is a 981 Spyder which I ordered partly because I felt this may be as close aesthetically to a Ferrari as Porsche ever gets. At least in a production car. Of course, everything about the car from its chassis to the 3.8 liter Carrera engine is brilliant. I can say unequivocally, with the exception of the GT3, the 981 Spyder is the best Porsche I’ve driven or owned and I’ve owned a bunch.

So my question is this, Obviously the 458 will be the most buttoned down handling wise as it is a modern super car. But what could I expect from a 430 or even a 16m compared to the 981 Spyder or even the 991 GT3. I know either 430 will be a bit quicker off the line than the Spyder but on a track or even bombing down some windy back roads, how connected to the road and tractable at the limits are the open topped 430s. Is it a reasonably easy car to drive fast?

I appreciate any insights

2. Gizzi

Gizzi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 3, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Gezim
    Very easy to drive fast. Doesn’t handle as well as the coupe, but that is expected. The best thing you can do for a 430’s handling is put good rubber under it. I have R spec (RE71R’s) on mine and it’s brilliant. On the track, of course you are going to think it’s a boat, but most of them feel that way compared to a track car, but the 16M will feel the best on track because of the upgraded suspension, not to mention the superfast 2 transmission.
    Of course this is only my opinion, I’m sure others will have differing views.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Underblu likes this.
  3. NT-16M

NT-16M Karting

May 17, 2013
    The short answer is- if you can afford the 16M buy it. You won't regret it.

Longer answer- do you want a car that is very easy to drive in any condition and situation that is still fun for those early morning "just because" drives or a car that's definitely less refined in normal driving but truly captivating when you open it up and drive it spiritedly? If the former is what you're seeking- buy the 458. For the latter- buy the 16M.

Underblu likes this.
  4. CarAholic

CarAholic Formula Junior

May 10, 2016
    Came from a GT4 myself and I would never give up the F430 for another GT4. F is so much more of an experience even when just going slow. Never driven a 430 Spyder but the coupe is very tight. The F is a very capable car but goes about it in a completely different way then the Spyder. The Spyder feels almost like your on rails while the Ferrari dances around the track (this is not a slight). While the 3.8 sounds great uncorked it still doesn’t sound as good as the 4.3 in the Ferrari. If your thinking 16M it’s a no brained though your cost of entry about tripled from your Spyder. I’d recommend a standard F430 unless money is not an issue.

While the 458 is an amazing machine for me it lacks some of that raw character that the 430 has in spades. If your looking for a more liveable and more performance the 458 is hard to beat. At the end it really depends what you are looking for in the new car for the 458 or 430.

I do recommend the F1 over the manual too. The manual isn’t as good as the spyders and the F1 really adds an extra layer to the Ferrari experience. I know I may be in the minority here. F1 is just brutal in a good way especially the 16m/scud. The manual is just a manual and can be experienced in any other car in your fleet. Always got bored of PDK and DCT cars but after three years I still look forward to pulling that paddle in the F. A lot of that has to do with the brutal shifts and the fact you still have to treat it like a manual transmission unlike any of the dual clutch boxes.

LittleTino and ifeelfree0 like this.
  5. Underblu

Underblu Rookie

Apr 21, 2016
    Thanks to everyone for all the helpful replies.

CarAholic, Your insights are particularly illuminating. And I hear what you are saying with the F1 transmission being more of a sequential manual with paddle shifters and therefore a bit more engaging. But even on PDK Porsches, I tended to always use the Shift lever. Force of habit I guess.

I think the GT4 has cup 2 tires which helps with that on-rails feeling. My Spyder has PZeros so it dances a bit too but always in a progressive predictable manner. I guess I will try to rent a 430 F1 for a few days to see what it's like to live with. That's really the only way to tell.

It's not the rawness of the 430 that concerns me. Having owned air cooled Carrera's as daily drivers, I can happily say almost any modern sports car I've driven since seems refined in comparison. My main concern (outside of the handling characteristics discussed) would be reliability and the attention a Ferrari typically generates. I don't mind having daily events provided they are limited to the roar of the engine and the chatter of the wheel.

6. houtie123

houtie123 Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2007
    Cape Town, RSA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    The 430 is pretty bullet proof - these cars are now 10+ years old remember. They have their weaknesses - mainly clutch, ball joints, headers - but these are all consumables. Do your homework carefully - there's lots out there. My tip would be get a car with a sensible mileage - not uber low- that's been sorted and had the issues dealt with. To me 2-3k a year is sensible .
    Regarding the attention concern - there's not much you can do about that apart from just making point A to point A journeys. I used to over worry over leaving mine anywhere apart from in a friends driveway

Underblu likes this.
  7. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    For primarily back country roads I would recommend the 16M, but not if your plan is to track often. For the track I would go Scud.
    I think the Scud and the 16M are among the greatest Ferrari V8s ever built, and unfortunately will remain so since the future doesn’t look hopeful (to me anyway).
    I drove my friend’s Pista the other day...nowhere near the emotion of my 16M. So 16M is a little more “special” than a track tool to me.
    For the price of a 16M you can buy a Scud and an Ariel Atom and a trailer. :)

Themaven likes this.
  8. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    All the Ferraris you list are more fun than the Porsches you list, though not necessarily more competent or better value. I have coupe and spider versions of the gated 430 and I prefer the spider for the feel and noise. The coupe is more competent. I like the idea of a 16M but as others point out it is at a different price point to a gated 430 Spider let alone a F1.
    458 is a great combination of Ferrari purity and ease to drive. If you like manual cars, 430 Spider, pushed hard on country roads, roof down, is pretty much unbeatable, and 430s are more thrill per mile than 458, which are nonetheless better cars.

Underblu and Gizzi like this.
  9. Gizzi

Gizzi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 3, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Gezim
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    This. So right.