F430 New owner diary inc. maintenance & upgrades | Page 14 | FerrariChat

F430 New owner diary inc. maintenance & upgrades

Discussion in '360/430' started by mwstewart, Oct 25, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks for the continued updates and for sharing great info Mark!

Dan

mwstewart likes this.
  2. Freddan

Freddan Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 16, 2012
    Vansbro (Sweden)
    Full Name:
    Fredrik
    Long time no updates Mark..:)

3. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Funnily enough I will have an update tomorrow :)

I can confirm that it is a quick car : I hit an indicated 205MPH but I had to back off because the engine lid open warning light came on - obviously the air pressure was lifting it off of the catch!

I wonder if any other Spider owners hit this issue approaching 200 MPH?

4. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Carbon Bonnet
    I'm over the moon with this - it has been months in the making. It takes a not inconsiderable amount of hours in the bodyshop to make custom parts presentable .
    [​IMG]

At 6.95kg the original bonnet is actually quite heavy so the hinges are stout to match. The original hinges feature a catch arrangement to prevent the bonnet sliding through the windscreen in the event of a crash.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

I've swapped to GT3 hinges to suit a carbon bonnet - because carbon simply cracks and crumbles in an impact, the catch arrangement isn't required. I've retained the original strut for convenience - the GT3 cars use a fixed carbon rod. The brackets save over half of a kilogram.

Bonnet mounted. The OEM Ferrari 16M stripe stencil kit was used to paint the stripe, and rather than a plain black centre stripe I've left the carbon exposed. I also had the bodyshop cut out some vent apertures to a template that I proved, so my next job is to fabricate some mesh inserts and some backing plates as a temporary measure until I finish some ducting from the front bumper.

Here's a photo of the new hood tray cover fitted.

Weight Saving Totals
    Unsprung weight saved: 24.97 kg
    Sprung weight saved: 109.01 kg
    Total weight saved: 133.99 kg

5. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Correction:

Unsprung weight saved: 24.97 kg
    Sprung weight saved: 106.01 kg
    Total weight saved: 130.99 kg

f355spider, whatheheck and f430R like this.
  6. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

i am planning on a sleeper 430 inspired by your post and knowledge. a Scuderia with a regular 430 look, that is.

7. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    That sounds good! You can use Challenge body parts to save weight.

8. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

im going through your superfast 2 eletronic research and want to know why you want the car to be shipped to somebody else for steering & yaw sensor calibration?

Is a SD3 required for this procedure which you don't have?

9. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Yes, that's right. I have Launch Pro which cannot do those things, or at least the current version could not at the time I needed it to - that may have changed.

10. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

how bout leonardo? Tried that?

11. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    No, but I checked the documentation and both current Leonardo and Launch support it.

Rinaldi likes this.
  12. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

Stewart, I am preparing to do the swap now as I had a totalled scud just came in! Pics will be posted later. Would you mind If post it in your thread? Or you'd prefer me to start a seperate thread? the reason is that your thread inspired mine.

question: even if I have a MY08 F430, the following has to be swapped?

1. whole ABS module,
    2. f1 hydraulics. ( i know they are different, but the f430's hydraulic won't cut it? )
    3. the rear LEFT engine loom are the same for scud and f430?
    4. f430's steering wheel's harness part of the dashboard loom?
    5. I thought the MY08+ injectors are the same as scud's? So is the injection looms really necessary?

13. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Not at all! Please do post here; it will be very interesting to see your project and I am more than happy to help.

I'm on holiday at the moment but I will respond to your questions tonight.

14. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

#339 24000rpm, Oct 19, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
    ok, just finished reading the 78 pages of your pistonhead thread. It has more content than your fchat thread.
    a few questions.

1. you mentioned the oil/water pumps are different from f430 to scuderia. According to eurospares, they are the same, aren't they?
    2. the spark plug of a f430 and the scud are also the same aren't they? you mentioned that the plugs need to be replaced for the ion sensing. according to eurospares, they are all the same.
    3. the harness under the dash (that has 4 connectors to the instrument cluster) are different from f430 to scud. You didn't replace this harness. Rather, you connected a wire from pin 42 of abs ecu directly to pin 7 of the steering wheel ecu under the manettino. Am I understanding it correctly?
    4. by the same token, since you didn't replace the harness under the dash, for the bumpy road button at center tunnel, You connect this button to one of the pins of the instrument cluster connector C. Am I understanding it correctly?
    5. since you didn't replace the harness under the central tunnel, you wire the parking light to the parking light fuse at the back of the seat. Am I understanding it correctly?

15. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

Please tell me if I am correct about the following:

So if I want to upgrade an early F430 to have SF2. ( let's forget about all the weight saving and forget all cosmetics or whatever exhaust, I am not building a scud. I just need the SF2)

I need to replace the following:

1. MAF and its bellows and the intake box covers. This is not in itself necessary, but we are replacing the ignition ecu so its a "collateral damage"
    2. Add ion module. Again, this is not in itself necessary, but we are replacing the ignition ecu, so this is a "collateral damage"
    3. Eldor coilpacks. Again, this is not in itself necessary, but we are replacing the injection harness, so this is a "collateral damage"
    4. whole Scud gearbox with the additional clutch pressure sensor.
    5. f1 actuator
    6. TCU and F1 harness
    7. 2x ignition ECU and 2x engine bay harness and 2x injection harness
    8. ABS module and ABS harness
    9. e-diff module
    10. suspension module
    11. Yaw sensor

Is my list comprehensive?

16. Rinaldi

Rinaldi Rookie

Sep 18, 2019
    Full Name:
    HENRIQUE RINALDI
    Hi mwstewart,

I see that you have a vast knowledge when it comes to Ferrari tech and maintenance, specially the 430 Scuderia/16M model. I have a 430 Scuderia myself here in Brazil, and while looking for information to help outcome a gearbox problem, I found your posts about modifications that were made in your car. I wonder if you had any gearbox issues, stuck in N, your option is very important to me :) https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/scuderia-f430-2008-f1-cf301-4-5-then-neutral-when-hot.612653/

17. 328gts1987

328gts1987 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 11, 2007
    Rotterdam Holland
    Full Name:
    Fred
    #342 328gts1987, Aug 23, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
    Question concerning part#250646 the camshaft variator controle solenoid valve sensor

At my 2007 spider (75.000km's) the harnas has shifted and heat effected the wiring. No problem but they are coming...
    To repair/isolate the wires I need to disconnect the socked. How? I can not discover how it is secured into each other. Is there a tool/trick to disconnect?

Note: I discovered more F430's (right bank) having shifted covers recently. Be aware and inspect to prevent "surprises"...

Coupe at dealer :

hazimaw likes this.
  18. carguy007

carguy007 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2013
    The solenoid clips are a tricky. You need to unclip one side with something small and sharp, then stick a pick or something in the clip to hold it while you flip it over and do the other side. Took me a while to figure it out but with this advice should be a lot easier for you. If it come to replacing the part use the Maserati part as it is cheaper and virtually the same with a slightly longer wire.

hazimaw likes this.
  19. hazimaw

hazimaw Rookie

Aug 21, 2015
    Checking the wiring for any signs of burn is a must.
    I had code p1528 I changed the solenoid with Maserati part, after a week got the code again. My indy did a great job finding the problem... it was melted wires and it was on the right bank.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

20. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    carguy007 uses the same technique that I use. I have a set of watchmakers screwdrivers that are perfect for the job but be aware the tabs on older solenoids become brittle and will likely break.

My MY08 has foil based heat shields over the connectors. It would be worth installing those.

I used some additional cable ties to ensure that the cables had sufficient support.

21. 328gts1987

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 11, 2007
    Rotterdam Holland
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Thx for response.
    "unclip" = pushing tabs inside or lifting outward?

Great tip on the Maser part, thx however replacing is not (yet) needed. Will use a heat schrinking socket to fix it and make it water tight

22. carguy007

carguy007 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2013
    Lift outwards - you have to pry them up.

23. 328gts1987

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 11, 2007
    Rotterdam Holland
    Full Name:
    Fred
  24. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Like many of us plans for this year were laid to waste. I was rather fortunate with how things panned out but I was away from anything car related for most of the year. Now I'm back I will start to work my way through a list of niggles on the 430.

Door Card Resonance
    This one is likely self-inflicted because I chose to omit the mass dampers in each panel in order to save 1KG. I have resonance/vibration in the left door card at certain volumes/frequencies.

The Scuderia door panels are very easy to remove requiring only five minutes per side. I tracked down the vibration to a couple of contact points around the inner handle.

I rebuilt the panels using felt and cloth tape. My hole punch pliers came in useful to create holes for the fastenings.

Problem solved.

Ride Height
    My car bottoms out too much and scrapes on inclines so I'm going to raise the height by 6mm. The standard set up data is below:

Ride height is measured at the following points on the chassis:
    Not my image

I used a bore gauge to measure and some masking tape on the body to record the measurements:

I was quite surprised to find the accuracy of adjustment on my car, but then most parts that could contribute to discrepancies are either new or in good condition. Also, the Scuderia uses derlin inserts in the upper and lower spring perches to improve consistency; over time the rubber used on the F430 compresses and perishes.

LF 116 | 115 RF
    LR 141 | 140 RR

Next step is adjustment.

benporter likes this.
  25. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Capristo Exhaust Mount
    Several lock nuts which secured the Capristo exhaust mounts had worked loose and unfortunately the springs found their way out of the undertray never to be seen again. I got in contact with the Capristo UK distributor Scuderia Car Parts and to the absolute credit of them and Capristo UK a new set was supplied FoC. They retail at £400.

This time around I fitted my own locking nuts on top of those supplied with the kit. New lithium grease applied to the slide area.

Lexan Engine Lid Window
    Unlike its Berlinetta counterpart the 16M did not benefit from the weight saving qualities of Lexan for the engine lid window. I had assumed that the reason was one of heat rather than cost saving due to increased proximity between window and engine/exhaust on the Spider.

Last year I picked up some temp strips and applied them around the periphery of the existing window and elsewhere in the engine bay in order to see if Lexan was an option; its upper working temperature range falling between 115 and 130 degrees C.

All areas are well within range so I can move forward and commission a Lexan replica of the OEM glass window.

armedferret likes this.