What Bourbon/Scotch are you drinking? | Page 6 | FerrariChat

What Bourbon/Scotch are you drinking?

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by gh0st0, Oct 24, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gh0st0

gh0st0 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2018
    Midwest
    Thanks for the education, I have some access to other variants but don’t get the hype. It must be a palette thing, everything I’ve had has been too floral overall but won’t turn down a decent bottle to add to the collection. I found the Yamazaki 18 lackluster

2. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    You're welcome; I disguise my addiction to whisky/whiskey by learning about it...like art and many other things, I encourage people to buy what they like, and not to be overly swayed by the crowd's direction (like with the prices of Pappy Van Winkle, which we're now seeing with a lot of other brands). Once you know what you like, branch out and try other flavors to broaden your enjoyment, too. I stayed away from peaty scotch for a pretty long time, but now think everyone should have a Laphroaig 10 on their shelf for those dark and stormy nights, or when they need to balance their drink with a good cigar.

Lots of good stuff out there, but the age-statement whiskies will be rarer and rarer for the next decade or so. Diageo, LVMH and others who now own most of the production are ramping up their barrel storage, but it will take 12-15 years for the general market to see quality bottles through that process.

3. gh0st0

gh0st0 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2018
    Midwest
    True, I’m a big fan of Ardbeg and Islay scotch, the age statements are only special releases now and super limited on production.

As for pappy it’s not bad if you get it for msrp, stick to weller

4. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    @soulseainsc
    After enjoying the Shenk's a couple of weeks ago, I decided to give its brother a try.

[​IMG]

5. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    @soulseainsc
    Decent haul today ...

[​IMG]

GatorFL likes this.
  6. schwoo

schwoo Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2013
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Marquette
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    These were a gift several years ago..... are they worth anything? Thanks for your advice.

kevinkw and soulsea like this.
  7. gh0st0

gh0st0 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2018
    Midwest
    I’d say so, that 10 year a 2019?

8. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    @soulseainsc
    I think so, it just arrived at the liquor store.

I have a bottle from last year that I'm about to finish and another I bought a few months ago.

Does release date make much of a difference in these?

I was going to give one of the unopened bottles to a friend as a birthday gift ... is there a better release of the two that I should keep for me? :)

9. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    Remembering that things are only worth what someone's willing to pay for them...
    All three bottles are very good whisky, all three have accelerated in price over the past few years.

Masataka Taketsuru returned from training in Scotland and began work at what is now Suntory to set up one of the first whisky distilleries. He left to start his own company, now owned by Asahi (Nikka is the newer name for Taketsuru's distillery on Hokkaido; he set it up there because he said it was the closest to Scotland in weather and climate). Nikka is also the parent company of Yoichi and Miyagikyo whiskies, both pretty good but not generally upscale brands. Nikka also owns Ben Nevis in Scotland, a good-to-great label.

The Nikka 21 is really good, very consistent 92-94 point ratings; spicy and fruity, a little seaweed with some bitter chocolate notes. I had a bottle back when it was priced more sanely & enjoyed it a lot. It is from $450-600 in a variety of places. The Nikka 17 is also pretty good; it is about $300-500 for a bottle (prices vary more widely for the 17, indicating it is a shrinking supply, and some sellers are posting a higher price & waiting for the market to come to them). It has a similar profile to the 21, although it's lighter - fruity on the nose, for me, it smells like pears. Spicey & a little oaky. Sweeter, with vanilla or caramel on the palate, a little pepper (which comes from the oak cask). A little bitterness in the aftertaste, not unpleasant.

The Hibiki 21 is really good, and gets consistent high ratings (94-96). It is produced by Suntory, the dominant brand in Japan. Some peat, rich and sweet, a floral note similar to the other two. It is full-bodied, fruity and some citrus notes. Spicey on the aftertaste, pretty good finish. Suntory also sells Yamazaki; the 12 is still affordable, but the 18 has gotten out of control.

These things have gotten to price levels where people are conflicted about drinking them (like the drive-or-protect Ferraris discussions...). I prefer to buy what I want to drink and ignore the investment potential. I have colleagues, though, who buy a case and hold 8-10 of them until they appreciate. When these were given to you, they were probably $60-100 each if it was several years ago. If you're a Scotch guy, a pretty thoughtful gift. Japanese whiskies win international awards, and are a pleasure to drink. I lament the fact they have gotten so expensive, meaning a lot of people won't be able to try them.

If you want to give them a good home, feel free to ship them off to me and I'll care for them lol.

milanojess and soulsea like this.
  10. schwoo

schwoo Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2013
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Marquette
    You are a wealth of knowledge . Thanks for your input. I really appreciate your thoughts.

11. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    You're welcome - I realize I forgot to price the Hibiki 21 - pretty broad range, I found a bottle in California for $480, but the other bottles online range from $800-1500, most around $950-1K. Everyone who has one will say they're worth it, everyone who doesn't have one will say they should be less. The best shot of whisky I believe I've had is a tie between a Kavalan Solist, a cask strength sherry cask Taiwanese brand, and a Laphroaig 18, which punches you in the mouth, but is so smooth & subtle I had a hard time choosing which parts of the flavor I liked best. Of course, the Solist is ridiculously priced now, and the Laphroaig 18 is out of production...

milanojess and msquared like this.
  12. gh0st0

gh0st0 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2018
    Midwest
    I had a bottle of 19 and found it ok, so holding onto the other I have. I really like the 16 a lot, like the toasted more, believe it was a 16 as well. The years definitely do make a difference but the tastes are subjective to each individual

soulsea likes this.
  13. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    I picked up these two bottom shelf Kentucky only bourbons this week while I was in Louisville. The JW Dant is fantastic for $12.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

14. gh0st0

gh0st0 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2018
    Midwest
    Clarification, the 10 year was an 18 not 19

soulsea likes this.
  15. gh0st0

gh0st0 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2018
    Midwest
    Finally got time to head to my spot, haven’t had the old elk but it’s rye and the stores single barrel pick, but it’s MGP juice. GTS is the 2019 release, and toasted

soulsea likes this.
  16. schwoo

schwoo Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2013
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Marquette
    GTS and toasted barrel are excellent

17. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    @soulseainsc
    It's really interesting how BT works.

They've been pumping out GTS AC like crazy the last few years, before that the Handy was everywhere (giggity) but no more, yet good luck trying to get a Weller or Sazerac. Same with the PVW where they've been pumping out 20/23, less of the 12/15, and haven't released the rye in forever. Waiting to see what my store has in store for me this year, I'll be shocked if it's not more of the same. Still, the GTS is an extraordinary whiskey ... to make something that high proof taste this smooth is distiller's artistry.

18. beng

beng Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2006
    RSF, California
    Full Name:
    Benjamin Galdston
  19. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

20. Bodazzie

Bodazzie Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2014
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Full Name:
    William
    sct4a and NbyNW like this.
  21. gh0st0

gh0st0 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2018
    Midwest
  22. Tvjake2

Tvjake2 Karting

Jun 28, 2017
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom J.
    Jameson "Triple". Not available in CONUS, got it in Spain at duty-free store. If you're overseas and can snag a bottle of Jameson "Lively" then do it, great stuff. It's also limited.

23. veee8

veee8 Rookie

Mar 13, 2019
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    Chris C.
    The Bruichladdich is a great young Islay.
    Speyburn gives a good bang for the buck,
    Woodford is our go to for mixing up Old Fashioned’s and the Evan Williams in the back is doing a fine job in the glaze for the Thanksgiving turkey!
    Hard to keep the bourbon around here when the wife and I both love it!

24. My 1st

My 1st Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2017
    Gladwyne, PA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I think I see my favorite. Col EH Taylor. Is yours single batch or single barrel?