NY to Sydney Non- stop: 20 hours | FerrariChat

NY to Sydney Non- stop: 20 hours

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by TheMayor, Oct 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    https://www.thenational.ae/lifestyle/travel/are-we-there-yet-qantas-s-20-hour-flight-from-new-york-to-sydney-sets-off-1.925483

New York to Sydney flight facts
    - You can watch all eight Harry Potter films during the flight, as they last 19 hours and 39 minutes

- Four pilots will be on rotation throughout the flight. Two additional pilots will be in the cabin, having flown the aircraft to New York

- Projected fuel remaining upon landing is approximately 6,000 kilograms, which translates to about 90 minutes of flight-time

- Nearly half of the aircraft weight on take-off is fuel

- Cruising altitude will start at 36,000 feet for the first few hours and then, as the aircraft weight reduces with fuel burn, the cruising altitude will increase to 40,000 feet

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  2. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Piece O' Cake ! But not for me right now. How far we have come ! How far we are going !

3. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I can barely make it 4 hours of flying now the older I get. I did 17+ hours non-stop once when I was a kid and never again.

4. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    We have kids in Portland, Or. and we always take the train now. Comfortable seats, beautiful scenery, can get up and walk around, and the food in the "dinning car" is good enough for the five hour trip. We always arrive fresh and rested. The only complaint is the flat-spotted wheels sometimes and the restrooms aren't up to par occasionally.

5. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    mmmmm, airborn lavs after 20 hours? .... "restrooms aren't up to par occasionally"..... :cool:

Jaguar36 likes this.
  6. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    no way would I think about it in cattle class. gotta have lie flats

7. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I would need a gym or something to keep me occupied other then movies.

8. Outrun

Outrun Karting

I did the Australia flight from the uk on Christmas Day once, stopped in Singapore. We had turkey and cranberry 5 times on the journey. I don’t every want that again! 23 hours total in the air front the UK. Now i stop in Dubai for a couple of days there and back, much more civilised!

9. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    France
    Maybe a "Hypersonic Concorde" could do the same thing in much less time ?

10. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Would be a really huge aircraft and likely need to be at Mach 3 to make it work. The Mach 1.5-2.5 region is just too fuel inefficient and rough on airframes (high Q loads).

Just thinking of 20 hours makes my back hurt.

11. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Q Loads. Terry, you made me think of the Q Bellows on the early Boeing airplanes, KC -135, 707. There is a horizontal mast in the leading edge near the base of the vertical tail. It ingested air to put pressure on the bellows to give artificial feel to hydraulically boosted controls. Higher the speed, the higher inputs on the controls. Q Dynamic pressure.

12. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Having been there five weeks ago, I concur: I found Oregon a really beautiful place. Three (not so good) pics taken from the train ("Coast starlight") from Seattle to San Francisco.

Rgds

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Jedi and Boomhauer like this.
  13. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I like taking the train on day trips, but I can't sleep in a coach seat. A couple of years ago I stumbled onto a sale on roomette seats on the Crescent between Philadelphia and Atlanta and had a much better night sleeping. But usually compartments are too expensive for my taste.

14. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Well Jim, I wanted to see at least a bit of the american landscape, so I flew from Paris to Chicago, spent two days there, then took the "Empire Builder" from Chicago to Seattle; rested a day in Seattle, then took the "Coast Starlight" from Seattle to San Francisco; rested two days there, and then took the "California Zephyr" from San Francisco back to Chicago. And flew home. All the trip in a compartment.
    I'm very happy to have done this; saw wonderful landscape, met a lot of people and Amtrak didn't miss a beat and was right on time. The ride was slightly (slightly, but not more) rough sometimes, as these tracks have seen a lot of services. All in all, a very enjoyable experience through the United States.

Rgds

Bob Parks and jcurry like this.
  15. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    You got very lucky that the trains were on time; that is quite rare, since these trains are actually run by the freight railroads that own the tracks, and freight trains usually get priority.

I once took a "trip to nowhere" out of Seattle, on the weekend of June with the most daylight. South on the Coast Starlight to Portland, then eastbound on the Empire Builder (through the Columbia River gorge!) to Spokane, then back to Seattle on the other leg ot the Empire Builder. That last train arrived about 2 hours late, causing me to have to get some sleep on a bench in the Spokane station in the wee hours of the morning. But the scenery was great and I enjoyed the trip, which took about 24 hours.