Buying a Ferrari 360 on a budget: my experiences, the myths and the pitfalls | Page 13 | FerrariChat

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CalonLan

CalonLan Rookie

Jul 24, 2018
    UK
    I'll add to what I've already said in an earlier post. I've not found the 360 either fragile or unreliable. It's never let me down or failed to start first go, and it gets used at least two or three times a week all year round. Lives outside under a weatherproof cover, as well. I could shoehorn it into the garage, but I'm in my early 70's and really not into scrabbling out through a 12" gap.
    I bought mine 18 months ago and I've done about nine thousand miles in it. One previous owner and perfect paper trail history. I don't do my own servicing anymore - but I probably wouldn't have serviced the 360 anyway. A few idiosyncrasies (or quirks as the guys from the US call them) but nothing in the way of problems.

To be fair to the 206 Dino my wife and I had in 1972, it wasn't that bad. We just didn't really have the income at the time to keep on the road. The £145 bill was a jaw-dropper and the equivalent of around 7 weeks take home pay for me as a journalist at that time. The garage bought it back, we lost about £250 quid in the whole deal, and went back to Lotus Elans.

The 360's off for a six month check next Saturday.

I can't see Rosso_United accepting anybody's offer or help. A bit difficult in his position, I expect.

AndreB and Skidkid like this.
  2. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    I tell my wife, when things go a little sideways mechanically, that really it is quite normal. I drive the car like a race car, as often as I can. Stuffs going to break or need refreshing, no biggie and my car has not been cheap to maintain, exhaust manifolds pre cat issues, fuel pumps, leaking cam seals, clutch slave cylinder leaks, new top straps, etc. But I guess if I drove my Silverado like I drive my gated 360, it would probably just croak and leave me stranded. I have NEVER been stranded by my 360. Cheers!

3. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    Any low volume exotic car is never going to be as reliable as a high volume car.

4. Rosso_United_1999

Mar 31, 2019
    Manchester, UK
    Howdy y'all

Thought I'd give the post a quick update

It seems like.. Finally... Trying not to tempt fate too much.... My 360 is behaving itself.......

Driven pretty hard a number of times now without a problem! Epic stuff. Ultimately, I am happy that I persevered, but by golly, I have been royally tested by these cars. Teething problems, indeed!

Aaaanyway, here is more detail about the latest happenings

So we essentially found a sole fault code that kept rearing its head:

P1269 - Throttle Safety Function (B2) : Range

For those that haven't been following, essentially my car would just cut throttle without any warning while the car was hot and mid drive. It'd often do it multiple times on the bounce.

It was actually Ferrari Chat that *may* have led to a solution. I searched the code and found this post:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/360-ch-starts-and-dies.363650/

Although the symptoms were a little different to mine, I felt the code was a good lead

So.. We disengaged the inertia / inertial switches

(and we also changed both MAFs as the dealer's mechanic felt there were some inconsistent readings.. Sorry, I don't know the detail here)

But long story short, problem hasn't resurfaced.

I am praying to all 7 gods that the car will stay this way, as I fkking love the thing. I don't particularly pose in it. It lives a lot of its life under an ugly grey cover. I don't YouTube it etc I just love the driving pureness and rawness.

It was (and still is, just about) my dream car and it absolutely delivers. The sound is Italian opera. It's an old tired cliché, but it still very much applies. 488 Pistas are still dying to sound like these classic V8s (whether people admit it or not).

So yes, everyone please fondle their inertia switches and make sure they are healthy! And thank you, Ferrari Chat!

5. PrecisionMike

PrecisionMike Rookie

Jan 21, 2016
    Northern Hemisphere
    I don't believe a that a Ferrari should be bought with any consideration but heart felt passion. Other considerations may indicate madness!

Brocco likes this.
  6. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    ... and to be sure, most high volume cars out of warranty can provide some shocking repair bills too ;)

MalcQV and Skidkid like this.
  7. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    Indeed, I currently own (from new) a Mercedes CLA. Pretty much the cheapest Mercedes money can buy except for the A-Class hatchback. I am on a FaceBook group with folk owning them three and four years + old. There is absolutely no way I am keeping it beyond four years (warranty period)

8. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Yup... I met a man in the parking lot exiting his MB V12 SL. Red car very well kept. I stopped to talk to him. His tale of woe concerning repairs, even the simplest repairs, and their astronomical costs. He cited a minor leak in a power steering hose that MB wanted approximately $2500 for (the hose) and another $3500 to install it as it was an "engine out" repair. And he's not the only story I've heard about MB specifically by owners who are thoroughly disgusted with the Marque once out of warranty.

I truly believe that these manufacturers are purposely trying to discourage ownership "out of warranty" and frighten folks into trading the car in for a new one at their favorite dealer :rolleyes:
    But from those I have spoken to, that seems to be backfiring on them. The red MB V12 SL owner I referenced above said he will never buy another MB because of the abusive pricing of the parts alone.

Brocco and Apollo 11 like this.
  9. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    I have a 2012 Mercedes C350 bought new with about 70K miles (My 20 year old son has been driving it for the past 3 years). Under warranty, I had the entire Infotainment system replaced as there was a problem with the mBrace system in 2013. The clear coat peeled when the car was about two years old and the entire car had to be stripped and repainted under warranty. I had the AC compressor die when the car was about 3 years old and replaced under warranty. The leather on the drivers seat was replaced under warranty at 35k miles. The exhaust system started rattling at 4 years old and needed a new cat. Now I was coming from owning a Mini Cooper S (JCW) that spend more time at the dealer than me driving it, so all the things that broke on the Mercedes were less than that car. I can tell you that I'm not sure I'd ever buy another MB again, not because of parts prices, but because I don't think the quality is what it used to be.

10. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    At one time, MB made the most durable, high-quality cars in the world. They cost twice what other sedans did, but you had a car that would go 20 years and look good doing it. MB tricked me with the SUVs: ML unit 1 I lemon-law’d back for another. ML Unit 2 wasn’t as bad, but awful enough that I traded it back to them for a sedan. The sedan was still made in Germany, and was way better quality. Later, I would trade a Toyota Land Cruiser in on a GL 450, and that would go down as the 2nd worst vehicle i hard ever owned, only behind a Dodge Durango I had for a bit.

We will never buy another MB product - I’ve been duped three times now.