F8 - F8 sound. Are the press cars the real deal? | FerrariChat

F8 F8 sound. Are the press cars the real deal?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Il Co-Pilota, Oct 18, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Today I heard back from a relative of mine who have now been to Maranello to drive the F8. Both he and I belong to the camp who really like the 488 sound, and prefer it over the 458 in fact.

Now we had a talk about his experience with the F8, which was really pretty interesting when it came to sound.
    The motoring press so far, has provided pretty positive reviews regarding the F8 sound, but now there's an opposite experience.

Another interesting aspect here is the fact that this person is also a fan of electric sportscars, and thus is also not in the camp of "Sound is everything", which in turn makes this even more interesting. It should be said that both he an I are also very fond of a great sounding engine, such as the 812 or GT3RS etc.

So where am I going with this? When asked about the experience, it was described very briefly. The F8 felt very much like his 488. This I can't say I find very surprising. It should be noted that this man tracks his cars a lot, and has experience of both cruising his 488 through Europe, but also run it on Spa, The Ring, Silverstone etc. as well as doing all the Pilota stuff.

Now here's what really took me by surprise. I have never, and I mean never, heard him describe the sound of any car as "boring". I asked to this and all I could get was, "muffled and dull sounding". That's interesting coming from someone who really appreciates the 488, as well as a classic 250, and something as odd as a Tesla Roadster S. Like many others, I've only heard the car in videos, and can definitely say I have not been impressed. Now we have seen some press clips and the car seems to be nice in the sound department. So where does this put the F8 and question of sound? Is the reality one where Ferrari are now providing press cars with altered exhausts, or perhaps one where Ferrari puts some kind of demand on the press to not speak ill of the sound, "or else"?

Has anyone else here been to Maranello yet to test out the F8? And so, what are your experiences? I'm kind of using this experience because I know this guy is quite capable of looking through the sound and judge a car by other measures. To me, he represents a pretty good yard stick as it takes a lot for him to dismiss the sound of a car. So for me at least, here was the first real experience of what the F8 is, and in the sound department, it sure looks to be completely different to what the press has conveyed.

Time to start sharing the personal experiences with the F8.

Best

of2worlds, 458-Italia and Shadowfax like this.
  2. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    So I was at Universo and specifically asked the Engineer there about GPF and sound. As it was the 812GTS launch we spoke mainly about that and he stated that as the engine is far away from the GPF filter and the exhaust the 812GTS sound will not be impacted much (we shall see if this is true). However on the F8 this is not the case and the sound will be affected. How badly we don't know yet but it will be affected.

I still don't know why Ferrari won't have two variants of the cars (GPF and non-GPF). If Porsche can manage to do this then why cant Ferrari. Non-Euro countries should not be penalised for this madness,

3. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Remember when the exhaust catalysts were introduced? it was the end of the ICE engine... about 35 years ago?

IloveGT likes this.
  4. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    They started the F8 at the dealership presentation about a month+ ago and it sounded choked compared to the 488 and Pista. Maybe this is due to transport mode but it sounded different.

5. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Well for some this is now no longer a case of we don't know yet, because people are now driving the cars. From what I was told today, it has had a profound effect on the sound - no theories, real first hand experience on both track and road. This is also why I ask the initial question. We know press cars in the past have had a history of being either tuned or otherwise altered etc. I'm wondering if the cars now getting praised by the motoring press for their sound compared to the 488, are in fact stock. When a guy who likes the 488 sound, but actually have expressed that he would not mind it more quiet for daily driving etc. now says that the F8 sounds bad and boring, then that's a pretty big deal to me. Had it been a hardcore 458 sound fanatic that's a bit different as it seems like nothing else will do. But here the poor review came from a source I will definitely consider both open-minded and objective.

of2worlds likes this.
  6. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    G. P. F.

Nuff said.

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  7. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
  8. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Sounds like crap from the videos so doesn't surprise me that it sounds bad IRL. As bad or worse than a stock Turbo S which already sounds like ass and much worse than a GT2RS.

tekaefixe likes this.
  9. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Yep

JTSE30 likes this.
  10. gzachary

gzachary Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Jan 10, 2011
    California
    Ugh. Just ordered an F8 Spider to enjoy. Was hoping to hear a great sound for the F8 here as I wanted to enjoy a Pista-quality sound in the F8 spider. I am loving the Pista sound and I was/still am a huge 458 sound lover).

Since the Spider doesn't show up until late 2020, I am hoping this gets better. As a result, I am now wondering how the SF90 will sound. I hope better.

I thought the "hot tube" sound system for the couple will help internal sound.

Hopefully, Ferrari can find an engineering innovation that doesn't require GPF. Ok...I am stopping here from going down the GPF discussion rathole....

11. BLKBLK

BLKBLK Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2011
    I was in Maranello, Italy not too long ago near the factory and was able to witness few F8's being driven around the roads near by. I'm not sure if those cars were delivery ready vehicles or test mules, but to me, it sounded more tamed than 488's.

of2worlds likes this.
  12. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    :D

gzachary likes this.
  13. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Seems an aftermarket solution to the exhaust will be the only hope.

Agree, Ferrari should have developed an non GPF for regions that don’t require it....

bwshihtzu and Shack like this.
  14. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Il Co-Pilota is talking about interior sound, so hearing from the outside is irrelevant. His relative's opinion is valid, but let's wait for more first hand experiences.

15. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I don't understand all these talks - wait, the 488 sound is crap because it is turbocharged (well, that seems to be the generally accepted opinion).
    So either one cares, and the F8 is already hopeless no matter what, or one does not care (which is my case) and then it's not really relevant.

16. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    The Pista sounds the best.

But nowhere near my 458 Spider.

And given the videos talk about prices plummeting because SF is pushing out new models so frequently like McClaren why would I spend so much on a car which may not be as fun to drive?

of2worlds likes this.
  17. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I'm actually speaking of outside sound first and foremost. Hearing the car pass and listening to the car idle etc. was said to be dull and "stuffy" sounding. That discription fits well with what we see in the video clips.

But yes, it'll be interesting to see what others think.

18. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    A good point. The reason why I chose to post was, that in this case the critique came from someone who normally don't care that much and is not only a fan of the 488 sound, but usually very good at sensing the car for what it is from a purely driving perspective without all the add-ons. I really had expected a "it's fine, a bit quiet" etc. But instead I got straight negative feedback which really surprised me.

This is also why I'n starting to wonder about what has been said in the press. Are we in fact dealing with a situation where either the press cars are rigged with not cats, sportscars or the like, or maybe a situation where Ferrari has straigh up told a magazine ot journalist "Say something negative about the sound and we wil never give you another car for review". The latter is not that unlike when Chris Harris openly expressed his dismay for Ferraris tendency to use ringers in the past. Fortunately it would actually seem that it had an effect and press cars since have, to me at least, seemed on point.

But now there's a new situation, and Ferrari is well aware that both customers and the general public has taken notice of the change in sound. The interesting thing is now how it is dealt with, both from Ferrari as well as the motoring press. I find it so odd that a sound that is so obviously more quiet and muffled can be described as "louder", Better" "More exciting" compared to the 488. It simply makes no sense, because I have not heard a "ream life recordig" which backs up these claims. The only places I've heard something that fits with those subscriptions are in fully edited press videos. So, the question is. What is the reality of the situation.

of2worlds and Shadowfax like this.
  19. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Be interesting to see if owners of F8 shout down opinions of 458 and 488 owners with respect to sound. If history repeats itself...

20. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    It will. History always repeat itself.

21. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Actually what's more interesting is watching the critics of 488's sound now lining up to buy F8. They may have had credibility up until that point....but I guess that's well and truly out the window now.

Napoli likes this.
  22. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Keep your 488's and get them tuned if you want more power. 488's also have done well with aftermarket exhausts such as Novitec. Save over $100K and drive the piss out of it. If you want a new car may as well wait for the F8 replacement.

SoCal to az and wrs like this.
  23. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    This is the dilemma now Gh. Knowing F8's replacement will be v6 hybrid with BB's looks is not a thought I care to ponder. I truly think we really are at the end of it right now with Pista - It could well be worth a billion 10 years from now.

MANDALAY, of2worlds and Gh21631 like this.
  24. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Lets hope Ferrari uses this time to develop something that really works. They will certainly have a challenge ahead with all of these mandates. For now, the Pista is a keeper.

Shack likes this.
  25. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    #25 day355, Oct 20, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
    Yes, an artificial, amplified and fake sound inside, just behind the seats, for your ears:(
    Unfortuntly, it s over for the V 8 and future V 6 range
    At the sound level, emotions factor is less than zero !
    Sorry guys, but Pista sounds like sh.. and don t have sound from the exterior, just silence !!!

xfrgtr likes this.