‘Schumi could’ve won more if he hadn’t joined Ferrari’ | FerrariChat

‘Schumi could’ve won more if he hadn’t joined Ferrari’

Discussion in 'F1' started by william, Oct 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    ‘Schumi could’ve won more if he hadn’t joined Ferrari’

https://www.planetf1.com/news/schumi-couldve-won-more-if-he-hasnt-joined-ferrari/

Michael Schumacher would have won more grands prix and World titles had he opted to join another team instead of Ferrari, says former team-mate Eddie Irvine.

With two World titles in the bag having won with Benetton in 1994 and again in 1995, Schumacher moved over to Ferrari despite the Scuderia having not won a Drivers’ Championship since 1979.

It took him five years to change that, winning the Drivers’ title in 2000 with nine race wins on the board.

It was his first of five successive World titles with the Scuderia.

However, Irvine, his team-mate from 1996 to 1999, believes Schumacher could have possibly won even more had he joined a different team back in ’96.

“Schumi was very German, except for drinking, in that he was terrible!” Irvine said at the Il Festival dello Sport in a panel discussion about Schumacher and Ferrari.

“Michael was very professional and he was one who worked very hard, a great professional.

“I remember that at that time in Ferrari everyone had his role and everyone knew that he had a lot to do. I remember when we arrived at Ferrari we were way behind but Michael had set the goal of winning with Ferrari.

“He was very determined and, I repeat, all the other teams wanted him but he just wanted to win with Ferrari.

“He could have won more going somewhere else but he was a very focused person, and in the end after so many years where he came close he managed to win the World Championship five times with Ferrari thanks to his hard work.

“A great talent but great perseverance and determination, an unbelievable driver.”

Those thoughts were very much echoed by ex-Ferrari boss Stefano Domenicali, who gave an insight into how Schumacher and Jean Todt operated together.

“When you win 15 of 17 races [in 2002] you prove to be the best and we were in that moment,” Domenicali added.

“But still every morning we were afraid of not winning the race. Jean Todt and Schumi wanted to win every single race and so every morning before the GP we concentrated on making sure we would have won that race.

“Jean Todt and Michael were winners, obsessed with details and yes they had a great time together and we saw their great talent bring Ferrari to dominate the World Championship.

“I think they were very close because they has similar attitude. I believe the biggest secret of the Ferrari success was the relationship between those two.”

Domenicali also reflected on Schumacher’s famous crash with David Coulthard at Spa ’98 and how that showed his true character.

“At Spa after that incredible crash between Schumi and David Coulthard, Schumi wanted to go to the pits to look for David,” he recalled.

“Michael was heading to the McLaren garage to clarify with David and I approached him to tell him to give it up, but he pushed me away.

“The most beautiful thing is that not the same day, he was still very angry, but the day after he then apologised to me saying I was doing the right thing but he was too focused.

“And this is Schumacher, he wanted to win every time, he was so focused.”

2. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    One of the many reasons the Tifosi love Michael Schumacher. He really wanted to be in the Scuderia and wasn't loyal only to whoever was making the fastest car at the time. He turned around mediocre fortunes and gave Tifosi something to cheer about again.

All the best,
    Andrew.

Picchu88, technom3, E60 M5 and 12 others like this.
  3. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    When I see articles like this, all I can think is "writers have to write". So they come up with lame-a$$ articles like this.

Pure nonsense.

johnk..., bmwracer and 375+ like this.
  4. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Not exactly new news - but thank you Eddie for reminding us :D

Ofcourse he would've won more WDC's but MS was fired up for a real challenge.
    And it was certainly a long and tough challenge

5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    really? Ferrari was pretty dominant many of those years. the better article is Schumacher might have won less elsewhere?

I'm 360 Canuck and ChadR like this.
  6. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

'96 to '99 - Williams then McLaren were the cars to have.

daytona355 likes this.
  7. PerKr

PerKr Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2007
    Mariestad, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Per Kristoffersson
    What other teams could he have joined really, if the objective was to win more titles?
    Williams fell flat after the 1997 season having lost both Newey and Renault. Before that, I'm not sure Schumacher would have been welcomed and they also do not seem to have been the kind of team to care for their staff.
    McLaren weren't a better team, they just had two fortunate years allowing even Hakkinen to become a 2xWDC.

Ultimately, Schumacher was just another part of the pussle. An important part, definitely, but without the team he was part of at Ferrari he would have struggled far more. Kind of like Vettel at Ferrari vs Hamilton at Mercedes. Talented driver in chaotic team vs talented driver in highly organized team.

spotja likes this.
  8. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    "...and if my aunt got some, then she would be my uncle" (Old french colloquial expression for saying that something is just a useless speculation)

Rgds

LVP488, pilotoCS and william like this.
  9. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    It's the Pony Express syndrom. If he went from Benetton to Williams to McLaren to Ferrari...... Jump on the fastest horse and ride it until it's spent. Who cares. It's history at this point. If Eddie is so smart why was he driving for Ferrari during those lean years? And just when Ferrari was getting it together Irvine went to Jaguar. LOL.

10. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    Regarding Irvine, he was chasing money at that point. Sure, he said he had the opportunity to be #1 on a well-funded team, but he was more interested in the funds that would be going into his pocket.

11. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I don't blame him for that !
    Eddie Irvine was a dilettante.
    He never looked to me motivated enought to chase a WDC anyway.

pilotoCS likes this.
  12. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    And Shu wasn't? $60M over 2 years when he joined ferrari. Highest ever.

13. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Eddie was also pretty busy away from the circuit :D

He also had a fine taste in cars and one afternoon we were both moaning about the price of a spare part for the 288.
    I should've filmed it :D

daytona355 likes this.
  14. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Of course, if he had moved to Williams, then McLaren, then Ferrari and later Renault he would have won everything.

Easier said than done.

I'm 360 Canuck and william like this.
  15. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Fangio won 5 WDCs with 4 different teams.

16. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Yep. And Chris Amon none with 7 or 8 teams.

Timing is everything in life.

17. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

He kept chosing the wrong team !!

18. TurboFreak650

TurboFreak650 Formula 3

Jul 10, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Yes, but Schui wouldn't have been helping to develop the dream team and dream car if he hadn't been at Ferrari during those years. When you had more or less unlimited testing, the most determined drivers could get ahead.

19. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

For sure, although 4+ years to develop a car is a long time and shows Ferrari was certainly in a mess !

20. ChadR

ChadR Karting

Jun 19, 2019
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Taj B
    Hmm, Interesting...

21. Ohhhh, if it were that simple. You don't necessarily......nay, rarely......get to just walk up and "choose" rides.... ;)

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  22. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    #22 william, Oct 24, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2019

Well, in 1966 Amon had an offer from Bruce McLaren to join his new F1 team.
    Amon prefered to join Ferrari; they were ready for the new 3-liter formula with a promising V12 engine.
    Within a few years the V8 Cosworth DFV was the engine to have, whilst Ferrari had no success.
    Had he chosen McLaren, Amon would have become team leader after Bruce's death.
    Instead of Fittipaldi, it could have been Amon winning the first WDC title for McLaren: he had the talent
    The rest is history: frustrated by his lack of success, Amon left Ferrari, his career declined and he went from team to team without ever winning a GP.

Discernement and foresignt are also necessary qualities to be a top driver; it's not only about driving fast, it's also about chosing the right team!

23. I'm well aware of the above. My response was only to your "He kept chosing the wrong team !!" which sounded as if he could have just decided that he was going to whatever team he deemed best,and poof, it would be done. My point was just to counter that implication.
    In your example above, everything pointed to Chris having made the right decision in going to Ferrari. I believe/believed he did. No, it didn't pan out.
    You say "Instead of Fittipaldi, it could have been Amon winning the first WDC title for McLaren: he had the talent".
    Very easy to say in hindsight, but, would Chris have still been with McLaren long enough to do so? We'll never know.

We're in agreement.
    I've stated on numerous occasions over the years that part of being successful in racing is being able to be in the "right place at the right time". This in response to many that, with whatever motive, posed the notion that the only reason "so and so" (mostly Hamilton these days) is as successful as they are is the "luck" of being with the best team. "Chosing" the right team counts, like Chris's chosing Ferrari when it appeared to be the right decision, but "luck" (as per Johnny Rutherford, where preparation and opportunity meet) plays a part in that decision. (Hint-hint, Vettel to Ferrari, Hamilton to Mercedes) ;)

william likes this.
  24. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Personally, I believe Chris Amon made the wrong decision when he joined Ferrari.
    The V12 F1 Ferrari that the Scuderia presented to the press early in 1966 looked fine on paper, but was far from it.
    John Surtees soon realised that the chassis was just a scaled-up version of the previous 1.5L car, with no weight-saving design.
    As for engine, it wasn't the bespoke 3L expected: Ferrari had crudly destroked a 4L 330P endurance block. It was grossly over-engineered.
    Early races confirmed Surtees' misgiving and proved the car to be heavy and cumbersome; it was regularly beaten by the agile Brabham-Repco V8.
    Surtees managed to win just one GP before quitting after Le Mans, maintaining to the press that the car wasn't fit for the job.
    This is the point where Amon chose not to join McLaren Cars, but the Scuderia.
    All the indications were there that Ferrari was concentrating on its duel with Ford at Le Mans, and wouldn't be leading in F1.

25. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    I don't know if he was wrong in joining in 1966...
    (although we must keep in mind that he became leader of the team after the Bandini fatal accident, so he occupied that role unexpectedly quickly)

...but with hindsight (ah, that is a luxury, hindsight...) his timing with Ferrari makes you wonder...

Chris certainly wasn't right when he left at the end of 1969, because in 1970 he got a Cosworth but struggled with the March 701, whereas the Ferrari that he left behind won quite a number of races in the hand of Ickx and Reggazoni. Chris always said that he left at the end of 1969 because, when testing the new "Flat 12" in the summer of 1969, that engine always broke and it was serious parts that did. But, once developped and dependable, that "Flat 12" became the engine to beat.
    Meanwhile, Amon has got the Cosworth that he wanted...but not the right car nor the right team, so he left for Matra, then his own team...

During 1973, when Ickx left Ferrari rather exhausted after having been unable to "turn the tide", Amon was one of the very few drivers that Enzo Ferrari recalled; the contract was ready but could not be signed because one sponsor objected and Chris was reluctant to "betray" his own team. As we all know, the 1974 Ferrari 312B3 was a title contender in 1974...

Rgds

william likes this.