456GT fog/indicator light and rear light cluster questions | FerrariChat

456GT fog/indicator light and rear light cluster questions

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Joe90, Oct 18, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Joe90

Joe90 Rookie

Oct 26, 2009
    Zurich, Switzerland.
    I have been looking for the Ferrari part number on the LHS rear light cluster, it is a Swiss car, 1994, so I assume the part number should be 153110, non USA/Canada. There seems to be a US/Canada part number for this part on Eurospares. Are the rear facing lenses interchangeable? I am wondering what the differences are. Is the difference limited to the bulb holders and bulb colours? Do the US/Canada indicators actually flash red instead of amber?

Also the front fog/indicator lights, the ones inside the bumper, outside the grill. Has anyone tried moulding new lenses for those as complete lights are a bit scarce and pricey?

Thanks for any tips. I'm quite new to this.

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Looking at online videos of USA F-cars, this seems to be the case. The lenses appear to be the same colour on Euro and US cars, but I guess they are glued on and you wouldn't be able to separate the lens from the assembly. I'm not even sure you could re-wire a US assembly. The lamp holders (sockets) might be different (?).

Maybe these guys might have some details on what can/can't be done:

https://www.scuding.com/Shop/en/ilual-led-reartail-light-solutions/98-ilual43-led-rear-lights-usa.html

Joe90 likes this.
  3. Joe90

Joe90 Rookie

Oct 26, 2009
    Zurich, Switzerland.
    Knowing that USA/Canada cars flash red for direction tells me a lot and basically answers the question. Thanks!

On the EU rear lights, the amber is generated from a clear bulb using an amber mini lens that sits halfway along a mirrored plastic cylinder. The cylinder directs the amber light through the clear centre of the light unit. This cylinder arrangement stops stray amber light bleeding through into the outside ring/redlight area, and gives the centre of the lamp a white appearance when it is not illuminated. If the US/Canada lights flash red, then there must be a red lens in there instead of the amber one.

The rear lights are obviously very high quality expensive units. There is a silicone like sealant holding the lens onto the red backing plastic that screws onto the body clamp holding the light onto the body. It might be possible to remove that with some heat as various youtubers show working on other plastic lights. To convert a US/Canada light to EU spec I would need to replace that red focussing lens/cylinder in the middle of the light assembly. That seems to be one obvious country specific part of the assembly.

As for the combined front fog light/indicator those are listed as region specific and seem reasonably scarce. It would be nice to have some reasonably priced aftermarket lenses for those.

4. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Ah, no, I meant that the large, extreme outboard red semi circle has two functions, position and turn indication. I think this is achieved with a dual element bulb and wiring changes.

If the Euro has amber lens tints in the centre, then this adds another level of complexity. I thought it would be done by just fitting a yellow tinted bulb.

Joe90 likes this.
  5. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I'm assuming you have a broken lens. Looking at the Scud Ing website, the lamp holders and wiring appear to be all contained in the red section behind the lens and this is secured to the lens with two nuts. In theory, I guess you could buy a US light assembly and fit the lens portion of that to your old light assembly, then find a yellow/amber coated bulb (lamp) with similar wattage in the indicator position. I don't know if the laws in your country permit this.

6. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I just got my hands on a USA wiring diagram for the F355. If the 550 lights are wired up the same, the entire outboard outer ring is used for both the side markers and the turn indications. It's hard to tell in videos and in real life. Even if one lamp of the two in the outer ring is not working, there is bleed-through of light from one half of the outer ring to the other.

7. Joe90

Joe90 Rookie

Oct 26, 2009
    Zurich, Switzerland.
    The yellow lens is mounted as part of the red section with the reflectors, and screwed on. Here is a view from the back with the lamp holder removed. If the outer section flashes on US cars for direction indicators, what does the centre section do?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I see what you mean. Unless the yellow filter can be transferred to a US lens assembly, or you can use a yellow coated lamp, then there is not much that can be done.
    If you're lucky, the coloured lens section may be a common part to all cars.
    Note that when I was referring to the red section earlier, I was referring to the Scud Ing lamp holder (In their photos, it's made of red plastic). I didn't realise the lens/reflector was red on the original car.

As far as I know, the outboard white circle has no function on US cars (assuming the 456GT is the same as the 550 and 355). There is no wiring or lamp shown in USA circuit diagrams for the outboard white circle.

Perhaps a USA car owner can provide a photo of the coloured lens assembly? Maybe it already has some screw holes for fitting an amber filter?

Joe90 likes this.
  9. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Back-up (reverse) lights?

10. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Possibly, but that would be different from the 456M, F550, F355, etc, which all have their reverse lights on the inboard white lens.

11. JM35

JM35 Karting

Jun 22, 2014
    Texas
    I just went through the experience of Importing my 456 M from the USA to Europe ( UK ) and the rear Light cluster are different
    They have to accommodate in Europe the rear Fog light ( not mandatory in USA Model ) the way the Stop light is display is also different
    The interface harness between the light cluster and the common harness is also different

Qavion likes this.