Another reason to be careful about used cars in FL? | FerrariChat

Another reason to be careful about used cars in FL?

Discussion in 'Florida' started by flifer, Oct 15, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. flifer

flifer Karting

Mar 3, 2016
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The past few years the ocean rises up through the streets for about 2-3 months a year. This year has been really bad with "king tides" flooding the streets worse than I've ever seen before. I've been a resident in brickell for around 13 years now. The climate change related flooding started about 4-5 years ago and gets noticeably worse every year.

Miami is pretty much a river on these days... It's wild as you can actually see the current of the ocean when the streets start flooding (compared to rain water that just stands still until it drains)

I've attached a picture of the heart of brickell ave, you see this kind of flooding twice a day - and it's every single day now.... This doesn't even make the news anymore as this wasn't considered a "king tide".

Image Unavailable, Please Login

"King tides" can be 1-2+ feet higher than the flooding shown in the pic I snapped the other day. Here is what the streets look like during a king tide

However, every day I see countless cars drive right through this sea water, including many exotic cars, as many people (like myself) DD their exotics around here.

Makes me wonder what kind of damage this is causing as cars drive in and out of sea water on a daily basis. You don't see too many people driving their Ferrari's on salted roads in the snow, but many clueless people in Miami don't think twice about speeding their exotic right through huge pools of salt water.

Makes me think that this is yet another reason to worry about used cars coming out of Florida... Going to be a lot of rust buckets coming out of Florida....

Just like people buy 2nd cars for snow season- I'm thinking about getting a hooptie for our newly minted 'flood season' (Just don't call it climate change- as that word has been literally banned in our great state LOL)

2. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Add it to the long list of “buyer bewares” for Florida.

I don’t think it’s due to climate change. When you cover every square inch of coastal area with concrete and high rises what do you expect? Miami is its own worst enemy, great fishing though.

Dbacr and GuyIncognito like this.
  3. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    That happens multiple times a day now?! I'll be in Miami next month and am considering moving there, but I didn't think it was that bad. I only see the storm related flooding...this is crazy.

HotShoe likes this.
  4. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Well if you don't mind a little salt water and flooding any time it rains heavy, or taking 40 minutes to drive two miles, or zero parking, or over congestion, or crime, or inconsiderate rude people, or exorbitant pricing then it's perfect! :)

BT, EastMemphis and BMW.SauberF1Team like this.
  5. tamiami

tamiami Karting

Mar 14, 2007
    It is climate change sea level rise, not lack of rainfall percolation. The flooding can happen on a clear day because of the king tides.

From a newspaper article:

“According to NOAA, king tides provide a glimpse of future average water levels as sea levels continue to rise.

Yesterday the United Nations' Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change released a bleak special report about how the oceans will be affected by climate change. The report says global sea levels rose nearly six inches during the 20th Century and are now rising at twice that rate and accelerating.

The report says sea-level rise will increase the frequency of "extreme sea-level events," such as those during high tides and storms. Flood risks, ocean temperatures, tropical cyclone winds, rainfall, and storm surge are only expected to increase, threatening coastal areas and potentially wiping out island nations. The report urges countries to drastically reduce greenhouse gas emissions to limit the potentially catastrophic scale of ocean changes.”

6. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    it's not climate change, it's overbuilding and poor infrastructure management. but yes it's a problem, particularly if you have low ground clearance cars.

APA#1 and HotShoe like this.
  7. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Agree with you 100%. Infrastructure, poor planning, drainage. Fl always has had problems with drainage from highways to waterways. Climate change is total BS just like carbon use tax, rain tax etc.

APA#1, HotShoe and GuyIncognito like this.
  8. Dean Palmer

Dean Palmer Formula Junior

May 21, 2010
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    Dean Palmer
    The sea level is at the same place here on the seawalls as it has always been. Our cities and neighborhoods are built on sandbars and old marshes and the studies have found that the ground is slowly sinking as it does in the Mississippi delta where the river is no longer replenishing the land. That said, those of us with half a brain don't drive our expensive cars in the water. I live on a small island in Florida, and this pics is from this week. It's always flooded on high tides, and chances are the slight settling has made it worse. We stay inside, or take the truck :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

GuyIncognito and GerryD like this.
  9. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I'm curious about what the process is for title washing? I know this corvette for sale in AZ with clean title that was a salvage title in Florida! It showed up on the carfax report. Dealers are sneaky. I don't think lay people have the network to wash titles.

10. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I wonder at what point will our savior, the federal government, step in and reimburse all the foolish buyers / builders that choose to build and live in the area that is prone to flooding. It is inevitable.

11. Dean Palmer

Dean Palmer Formula Junior

May 21, 2010
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    Dean Palmer
    Unfortunately you may be right in some cases. I think there needs to be at least a plan where these houses below the flood line cannot be sold unless brought up to a standard, and guessing the feds will have a funding plan for the remediation which usually means lifting the house where possible/realistic. If you look at our neighborhood it's a lot of houses (not mine) that suffer from being flood-prone. No idea how they even get insurance. When we bought in this neighborhood, we knew the facts and bought a stilt house on raised land, and do not pay flood insurance by choice as we do not have a mortgage. Not the case for most.

BT likes this.
  12. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    I think the real concern here isn't cars that have been totaled/flooded. It's the cars that have been routinely driven thru salt water that haven't yet shown any problems and hit the market with a clean carfax/title. Of course I say "yet" because of the underlying problem that will eventually come to pass.

Even more reason for a PPI for any car from south Florida.

13. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    I read somewhere that rising sea levels will happen in places such as Miami - regardless of what the climate does. Anyone have more details?

14. flifer

flifer Karting

Mar 3, 2016
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #14 flifer, Oct 31, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
    Not trying to turn this into a political thread, although it amazes me when science and politics collide. It is simply fascinating how impactful cognitive dissonance can be when things turn political.

I just wanted to warn people about buying cars from Miami or pretty much all of coastal Florida, as I see people drive through these flooded waters on a daily basis, and there is nothing that will show on the carfax... It pains me to see such beautiful supercars being driven through salt water on a daily basis as nobody seems to care about their cars in Miami- and everyone seems to have a 100k+ car.

Luckily, I work at home so I don't really need to worry about commuting through this craziness!

This will affect the used market as south florida is a huge market for nice cars and this sunny-day salt water flooding has gotten quite worse over the last couple years. I have lived in brickell for around 13 years now and this is a relatively new phenomenon that nobody seems to care or talk about (unless it's something political)

The intersection I took a picture of is the heart of brickell ave and most commuters drive through that street twice a day (I took that pic on a weekend so there was no traffic) Obviously there are far bigger ramifications about this than simply rust on a car. However, this is a forum for car enthusiasts which is why I wanted to keep the focus on the cars.

People in the north have snow season with salt on the roads... We now have 'flood season' where salt water floods the streets the streets every fall. I believe driving through deep salt water at full speed on a daily basis could be much worse than simply driving over salted roads.

Buyer beware guys... Just another reason for a PPI!