Sequel to Battle of Midway: wrecks of the japanese carriers "Akagi" and "Kaga" found | FerrariChat

Sequel to Battle of Midway: wrecks of the japanese carriers "Akagi" and "Kaga" found

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by nerofer, Oct 21, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    thecarreaper and jcurry like this.
  2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    18,000' down, that is a lot of water. Half the depth of the Mariana Trench.

3. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Well, at least they will stay undisturbed that low. Have been disgusted by what happened to the allied wrecks in the Java sea, pilfered by metal chasing people. The english cruiser "Exeter" is almost gone...

Rgds

4. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I feel the same way about the destruction of the hundreds of B-17's and B-24's that were immediately scrapped at war's end. In my mind they were war hero's that should have been preserved as war memorials to show what we had accomplished in such a short time and the sacrifices that so many willingly gave....including those valiant airplanes. I did a painting of "Ol' Miss Destry" for the 50th anniversary of the B-17. She had 138 missions without a failure and was immediately scrapped when she returned to the states. I met one of her surviving crew members and he was in tears when he spoke of her. They had hearts as we all did.

Greg34, thecarreaper and tomc like this.
  5. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift

I agree, the scrapping of all of most types is a complete shame. On the other hand, the machines were almost obsolete before the war was even over, and certainly by 5-7 years after were effectively useless except for attacking South America. You were there, I'm sure you have a much better view than I do, but it seems to me that the time period between 47-57 was one of the fastest changing times in aviation warfare. The Hustler first flew in '56, right? And the MiG 17 in 1952? What good is a 300 MPH B-24 against a 690 MPH fighter?

6. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    When the two Avro Lancasters flew a few years ago in formation with the last Avro Vulcan, it was pointed out that the first flights of those very different bombers was only 11 years apart!

7. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    In 1942 I knew a few kids who were upper classmates of mine in high school when they left for pilot training in the Navy. Few survived the desperate period at that time and I don't think that many people now realize the sacrifices that were made by the Navy crews then when they were outnumbered but not outfought. To survive the early Pacific battles was a bonus.

8. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    France
    From the LIFE archive.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The only way to get a B-24 to 300 mph would be in a dive with the wings gone.

10. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Yeah, Terry. I was thinking about that. The fastest that I ever saw in one was 170. I'm sure that it could reach 200 + but it would be pushed.

11. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    I enterely agree Bob; that is precisely the reason why I find the violation of shipwrecks that are war graves by metal pirates so disturbing. Talking about these desperate early months of the war, I'm sure that many persons here will have heard about the cruiser "USS Houston" (CA-30); these sailors fought gallantly in desperate odds. The wreck of the "Houston" is nowadays regularly chopped to bits by metal scavengers. Why can't they let the remains of these courageous young men rest in peace and slowly fade away?

https://www.livescience.com/56965-wwii-shipwrecks-vanish-after-illegal-plundering.html

"The U.S. Navy reported last year that the wreck of the American cruiser USS Houston, which sank in February 1942 in the Sunda Strait, southwest of the Java Sea, with around 650 sailors and marines onboard, had also suffered "unauthorized disturbance of the grave site."

Rgds

12. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Wikipedia quotes Janes with a top speed of 297 for the J model, but I certainly defer to Bob.

13. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I would imagine that top speed figure was achieved with a light airframe, no ammo, no combat load, and moderate fuel load. It was faster than the B-17 and could out climb it but quit at 27,000.

14. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bob- Affirmative, and likely using water injection.

15. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Thanks for the clarification