What have you done to your Ferrari Today? | Page 94 | FerrariChat

What have you done to your Ferrari Today?

Discussion in '308/328' started by SteveGTB, Feb 5, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Dane likes this.
  2. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
  3. Hinecker

Hinecker Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2011
  4. A.C

A.C Rookie

Mar 13, 2012
  5. dinonz308

dinonz308 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 26, 2017
    Full Name:
    Dean
    Just installed mine - liking it so far, other than the reach for the indicators. About to head to a winery for a drive so I'll see how I feel afterwards.

6. 27811

27811 Karting

Jun 24, 2019
    Full Name:
    Hypertrash
    Rosey and Dane like this.
  7. CL308GTB

CL308GTB Rookie

Jan 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    C L
    I just received my Pioneer KE-8300 back from radio expert and reinstalled it in the car. At my request, he installed a bluetooth chip inside the radio (this is invisible from the outside). I now have a period correct looking radio with Bluetooth (it even has a microphone in it so you could take your calls in the car). Not that i'm using a lot the radio, but it's relaxing when you're stuck in traffic which inevitably happens in Paris...

I put a little note on it just in case someone decide to do some archeology in the future so he could understand what I did and when...

Arthbkins likes this.
  8. Portofino

Portofino Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2011
    Yorkshire UK / Switzerland/ Liguria ( Italy )
    Full Name:
    Portofino
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Fitted new r
    Fitted new rear pads

Put a slot in the inner adjuster cap .

Did the gear box oil EP 75/90 , old was a bit dirty but not bad .
    Did the engine oil recently. Old was BMW fully synthetic for M sports 10W60 ...I thought a bit thin .
    Replaced with 2 L of classic 15/ 40;W , mineral for the Zinc and the rest semi synthetic 15/40 , trying a thicker oil this time .

Flushed the brake fluid , changed it all to DOT 5.1

It’s had a gruelling hard time doing alpine rally’s so thought I’d replace all fluids ...pre winter pamper .

Next up the coolant flush .......soon

9. dinonz308

dinonz308 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 26, 2017
    Full Name:
    Dean
    Not driven it. Which is a first in about 4 weeks.

10. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
  11. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Took advantage of an unusually warm October saturday to exercise both cars; started at 9:00 with the GTB, had a 60 miles trip including tanking on the other side of the border in Luxembourg, where petrol is cheaper.
    Followed with the GTS at 11:15, 60 miles also, top off; 19° (67 F) at the end of october is pretty unusual, should be about 13° (55 F).

Rgds
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. 27811

27811 Karting

Jun 24, 2019
    Full Name:
    Hypertrash
    Milkshaker0007, 308 milano and JPMD like this.
  13. Harry-SZ

Harry-SZ F1 Rookie

14. 27811

27811 Karting

Jun 24, 2019
    Full Name:
    Hypertrash
    Mine is a ‘79, not sure if they changed materials for later cars, the tops that you see when the lights are off are metal, the light surrounds that fold in on my car are fiberglass.

15. Banzairacer

Banzairacer Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Sanjeev Thohan
    Having reliability updates done to the “new” 85 308 done. Cam seal oil leak made for a bit of a mess, new hoses to remedy brittle originals while the plenum is off, all suspension bushings (including valve cover bushing) and an AC recharge. Radio and speaker. Eventually the interior carpet and maybe Dynamat (thoughts? And opinions?).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Dane, 27811 and Milkshaker0007 like this.
  16. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    I just hugged my 308 repeatedly for its reliability and straighforwardness after I have repaired a badly broken wire harness on our 9 years old Fiat 500 hatch decklid, what caused all kinds of malfunctions, short-circuits and almost an electrical fire and what took me half the day yesterday and half the day this Sunday and now my back is sore :)
    It's hard for someone 5′ 10.8661″ tall sitting in the luggage compartment of a Fiat 500 for hours working on the roof :(

The '72 Alfa got hugs too.

Best from Germany
    Martin

Milkshaker0007 and Dane like this.
  17. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Today was the first time in TWO WEEKS I was able to drive my gated 360 Spider. We're in the process of getting our roof done and two days after they began, it started raining and raining and raining. Yesterday, they were working over the garage so no driving. This morning, the roofers weren't coming until noon so I took the chance to take a fast run around the "block" (about 12 miles) before they started to throw nails in my driveway. Two weeks of sitting didn't do anything to my three year old battery. The 360 fired up almost like normal, maybe cranking a second longer. Everything seemed fine and I took it really easy the first half mile. After reaching operating temp, I turned it up a few notches and the car came alive. I don't think I hit a single red light the entire time.

I parked with a smile on my face. I realized I hadn't pulled far enough into the garage so I went to the rear to push it in a foot or two and OUCH! The back of my leg touched the exhaust pipe tip. She branded me for my impudence. I deserved it.

I hope it leaves a scar.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. Dane

Dane Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2002
  19. Banzairacer

Banzairacer Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Sanjeev Thohan

And some new pics. A thorough reliability exercise. I ordered new injector bushings from Jens in the Netherlands and planning new brass injectors.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. JPMD

JPMD Karting

Jan 17, 2016
    FL
    Full Name:
    John
    Installed Driver's side California style mirror which is period correct for my 77' 308GTB in place of the the turbo style. I have a picture before and after. Slight dilemma however. Looks like this was a single mirror car. The drivers side had 3 holes for the screws. Most likely 2 original that lined up nicely for the bracket of the California and a 3rd that was most likely drilled for the turbo mirror further apart. The bracket covered the 3rd hole on the drivers side so all is good. However on the passenger side there are only 2 holes and the second one does not align with the California bracket.

Three options:
    1. Put back turbo mirrors
    2. Drill hole passenger side to install California mirror and having bracket cover the extra hole similar to the install on the drivers side.
    3. Have the holes filled and the area sprayed and blended.

Leaning toward 2 or 3.
    Open to suggestions. Also realized I have a brand new set of California style mirrors. Must have forgotten I purchased a set earlier. Will put up for sale in the market place.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. JuLiTrO

JuLiTrO Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2017
    Full Name:
    Julio Saiz
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/index.php?threads/605550/

22. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    I hadn't driven my 308QV for almost a year while the new house was being built. When I started driving it again, it had a bit of a gasoline smell in the new garage (the Ferrari has it's own bay in the new garage -- see https://www.garageflooringllc.com/2019/08/08/a-mans-curio-cabinet/ for old photos before any of the Ferrari wall decorations got added) so I took it into the shop, and told my mechanic to go through it thoroughly. The list of known things to be looked at included:
    • Find and fix source of gasoline smell
    • charge a/c
    • brake warning light was on
    • purge/replace brake fluid
    • adjust/fix turn signal reset from right turn
    • oil and filter change
    • check and fix oil leaks
    • wheel alignment
    • general check up -- fix whatever else you find (he's a mechanic that I trust, and he always calls me down to shop to look at any issues before he proceeds)
    The gasoline smell was coming from a leaking plenum cold start valve. It's a discontinued Bosch part but I was able to find a good used on on eBay, shipped directly to the shop. Problem solved.

Found that one rear brake house was leaking -- this was a braided steel covered hose. Replaced both rear brake hoses while doing the brake fluid purge/replace. Mechanic sourced the replacement brake hoses for me.

Shock bushings were wearing/splitting. These were the originals that came with my Varishocks back in 2003. I called Varishock and had them send the replacements directly to the shop.

Some of the axle boots were quite torn up and leaking. Replaced all four inner and outer axle boots sourced from Ricambi, shipped directly to the shop.

Steering rack tie rods had an excessive amount of play and upper ball joint boots were torn and slinging grease. Disassembled and rebuilt the steering rack... replaced the tie rod ends (sourced from Maserati Parts Source), ball joint boots (sourced from Ricambi) as well as installed a Delrin steering bushing I had sourced many years ago from Blackhorse Motor Sports and had kept in my parts bin.

DId a "clean up" of the supercharger peripherals: emptied oil overflow, fixed/sealed a crack in one of the carbon fiber connector assemblies, replaced the K&N air filter (old one was falling apart and couldn't be cleaned, replaced the air intake hose.

The wheel alignment and corner balance was really needed. It hadn't been done since I'd redone the A-arm bushings, anti-sway bar and shock upgrades 15 years ago, and I'd recently upgraded/upsized my wheels and tires to the 17" HREs.

This was about a $3000 job (and yes, some of it I could have done myself but I preferred to have my mechanic do it all this time), but the car hadn't had any serious work done (really just oil changes and some bolt tightening) in years so that's reasonable. I feel very good about bringing the car's mechanicals and safety up to date. Time for a road trip!

Saabguy, JuLiTrO and thorn like this.
  23. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
  24. Ferraritalian

Ferraritalian Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2019
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Got my new carpet delivered last week, new wheels just showed up yesterday.

Those and seat covers all go in this winter.

308 milano and JPMD like this.
  25. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Winter Christmas drive in Illinois.
    Who would have thought that was possible with 60 degree temperatures today. When I planned this trip I fully expected snow. Disappointing for the snow, happy for the drive

tomc, JPMD, eyeman1234 and 2 others like this.