1989 328 GTB Need Shoes! Help! | FerrariChat

1989 328 GTB Need Shoes! Help!

Discussion in '308/328' started by Rareusgold, Oct 22, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rareusgold

Rareusgold Karting

Sep 9, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Can someone or someone’s in the know suggest the best tires to replace my tires with on my 89 328 GTB. Also can anyone confirm the original tires that came on the car? If mine are original should I keep even if they are not useable anymore?
    Thank you. Guys!

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
  3. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Original tires for US 328's:

Goodyear Eagle VRs.
    205/55-16 front, 225/50-16 rear

As for replacements, Goodyear doesn't make the exact tire anylonger. There are many options, but I wanted to get as close to the originals as possible so I chose these:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Eagle+Sport+All-Season+%28H-+or+V-Speed+Rated%29&frontTire=055VR6SAS&rearTire=25VR6SAS&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Ferrari&autoYear=1989&autoModel=328&autoModClar=

You can search Tire Rack and they will offer many options. There will be many that have other suggestions related to performance. They may be right. But, again, for me, it was less a choice about performance and more about having something close to the originals. Hope this helps.

4. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Original tyre for the french delivered 328s after March 1988 was the Michelin MXX, not available anymore (205/55-16 + 225/50-16)
    Modern "equivalent" is the Michelin Pilot Exalto 2; it doesn't look like the MXX, which had a very distinctive thread pattern, but it is a very good tyre nevertheless (Considered as a summer tyre; not to be driven on snow or ice).

Rgds

5. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Hi Rich,
    Go to Tire Rack and check reviews and tests for tires available in those sizes. The originals were nick named "gator backs." You should have replaced them long ago. tires that old are unsafe. First thing I did when I bought my GTB in '99 was replace them. As I recall. the originals were rock hard.

Dave

6. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    For a moment I thought you were looking for drum brakes.

7. Rareusgold

Rareusgold Karting

Sep 9, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Rich

Dave!
    I miss you! How are you. I know. They were probably changed by the previous owner. But I have not put many miles on it. now having my guy get it back and ready for fun in south Florida. And he said it’s time unless I want to drive on square tires!

hardtop likes this.
  8. Freddie328

Freddie328 Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2013
    Herts, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    I'm using these on my 88 328. Really pleased with them.

9. Rareusgold

Rareusgold Karting

Sep 9, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Rich

Thank you my Scuderia Brethren! I appreciate all the help!

10. Rareusgold

Rareusgold Karting

Sep 9, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Rich
  11. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    #11 nerofer, Oct 23, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
    No, as far as 328s go...
    There must have been "Something" upsetting the relations between Ferrari and Michelin when the 328 was put on the market in september 1985, because it was one of the very few models of Ferrari which was not offered with a "Michelin" tyre as an Original Equipment (O.E.M), even in option; the French delivered 328 (By Charles Pozzi) were fitted with Goodyear "Eagle", or Pirelli P7 as an alternative option.
    In March 1988, for reasons unknown, suddenly the french delivered 328s reverted to Michelins as OEM tyre, the said MXX, which was (unfortunately) a rare tyre; it was NOT the former TRX as fitted on 308, which was millimetric; but a new tyre, in inches; it disappeared from the market rather quickly, which was unfortunate as it was a very good tyre.
    So, only the second half of the french imported 328s had the TRX as OEM tyre, which is "about 300 cars" maximum. Michelin has never remanufactured the original MXX again; but has produced a "continuation" in the form of the SX MXX3 N2 for classic cars, but it does not have the very specific thread pattern of the original MXX.

The "remanufactured" SX MXX3 N2 on top; then the original MXX with its specific thread pattern: that one is the only "Michelin" tyre period correct for a 328....
    Rgds

Attached Files:

12. Freddie328

Freddie328 Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2013
    Herts, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    I believe the N number in the tyre type numbers refer to a Porsche approved tyre standard. N 0, 1,3,3 4 etc as the tyre is evolved by Porsche. Not knowing this I once fitted a set of Pirelli Assimetrico's with the N3 rating. The car never felt like it gripped very well and had a nasty habit of snapping from over to under steer.
    The Michelin Pilot Exalto 2 is presently an NO tyre (the ones I found in the UK). This tyre seems to suit my 328 much more, so I'm thinking that tyres with higher N numbers are more modified specifically for Porsche's and are therefore less likely to suit other car types. Any tyre guru's out there is - this correct?

13. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    It's easier than that: as said in my earlier post, and as far as 328s go (not 308: 328) Michelin equipped only as OEM the second half of the French imported-only new 328s, that is barely a grand total of 300 cars. Nowadays, Michelin does not want to face the hassle of certifying any of their new tyre for such a small number of vehicles, in dimensions that have become rather peculiar (front and rear different in size, and in 16' which not very common either) so you won't find any "new production" Michelin" tyre certified for Ferraris in the 328s dimensions. Some of their tyres do actually fit our cars, but If you ask them, their answer is that they cannot provide any certified tyre for the Ferrari 328.
    As for the rest, it's up to anyone wanting to use one of the tyre that they sell and would dimensionally fit to know how it would actually fit...

Rgds

14. lopena

lopena Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I’m also running Exaltos and I’m very happy with them.

Alan
    N.J.

15. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Hey guys,

I faced the same dilemma on my replacement tyre choice.

I should mention I have an original set of Goodyear Eagles ZR dated 1988 and 1989 that I don't drive on but have in case I ever want to enter Pebble Beach in 20 years time. :) :)

I put the OEM Pirelli P7's on my car that have been reissued by Pirelli. Unlike the new Goodyears or other tyres, these were a factory option on Australian cars back when new and have the same tread pattern and construction as back in the day and are N rated.

Plus they look period correct.

Not cheap but I really love them !!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Change them but if you have room keep them rather than throw them out. I did.