Finally tested F8 on a track! | Page 7 | FerrariChat

Finally tested F8 on a track!

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Hendry2019, Oct 18, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Now that is music to my ears!

Shadowfax likes this.
  2. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    Why should we accept that ?
    Choice is in the past models ! it s seems not necessary o spend so much with the principal element of Ferrari history lacking : the sound , this identification to the race...
    I don t need 1000 hp, i need emotions, feed back and brand s history identification

3. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Preach brother! I posted my experience previously in my Huracan at WOT beneath a freeway overpass. Unbeknownst to me, I passed a friend in a GT2 RS who shot me a text complimenting how good and "angry" my car sounded. That text made my day. I love startling people at the bus stop as I downshift at 5000 rpm and seeing kids jump and wave as I drive by.

The echo ricocheting off empty office buildings on an evening drive downtown is priceless.

IloveGT, daflk, ChadR and 2 others like this.
  4. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

What I remember reading was boost ( % ) and gearbox

5. Sav35

Sav35 Rookie

Dec 21, 2018
    Full Name:
    Marcos
    What did you think when you drove one?

6. ChadR

ChadR Karting

Jun 19, 2019
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Taj B
    Cant believe how quiet it is... The 458 is still it for me.

Surfah likes this.
  7. terryreid

terryreid Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 7, 2017
    Bloomington, IL / Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Terry R. Stahly
    #157 terryreid, Oct 24, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
    Every dealer has told me they will be hybrids so my new Ferrari days are over I will not own a hybrid. Too many disadvantage and expense to own and opertate can you imagine how much a separate Hybrid extended warranty will cost over the powercube warranty they have now.

I have been driving Ferrari's since 1978 and currently have 2014 458 spider which I also track aggressively. I race Vintage in my Alfa 2.0L GTV and pass 458's on the track due to driver experience and different comfort levels of drivers. Honestly and I never thought I would ever say this I have no use for a faster can than my 458 and it sounds fifteen times better than a 488. There are 488's in used car dealer and new Ferrari dealers for sale all over the place, even dealers who never have a late model Ferrari on the floor. No noise I have no interest!

I am a skilled and drive hard, run track tires and am rarely are passed on a track day in my 458 but I am not driving the car to the limit due to the armorall and zero insurance. I am close the only thing I leave on is Yaw control but honestly you would have to be a track like CoTA where there is lots of run off area to get enough experience to be comfortable with the tail hanging out and stepping out. Even then since it steps out quickly it is too risky $300,000 to push these cars that close with guard rails next to the track. At these power levels unless you are at Road America with one mile straights the only way you can a 488 is quicker than a 458 is side by side on a straightaway it is difficult to feel it other than what the speedo says at the braking point. I have ran my 430 against 512's and they only pulled me by three car lengths which is a 490 hp vs 731 hp which is a whopping 241 more hp. I want a car for how it drives, looks and sounds not a couple of car lengths on a track when it sounds like a BMW. I have also ceased braking to the limit as it is expensive replacing ceramic pads and $13,000 rotors on the third go round I have done that for ten years and finally realized for what? Drive hard corner hard brake pretty hard but my days of standing on it are in the past. If I were not paying the bills I would be for sure though lol!

Once you are at 600hp additional hp is not that noticeable. On the track of course you want more acceleration on a long straight but the corners and braking are all the same for 97% of owners. When I am in my 458 spider and snap off 1st and 2nd gear or four or five gears out in the country it is a FAST car! I personally prefer the looks of the 458 and think their values will be as higher and perhaps higher than 488's as time moves on. Now the Pista that is a different story that car is awesome and my buddies who have them who also race Vintage tell me they are scary fast.

8. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I bet that there is actually more difference between a 488 and a 458 than between a 488 and a Pista - but the 488 is not expensive enough to be taken seriously by most, apparently.
    The F8 will certainly have the same problem. Fortunately that's not a concern for me.

9. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I think the 488 was not taken seriously because so many disliked the turbo engine sound. And yes, the difference between the 488 and Pista is significantly less than that of the 488 vs. 458.

There's an important thing to keep in mind when talking about the difference between the 458 Italia and 488 GTB, and why they felt so noticeably different.

Not only did the 488 gain 108 PS over the 458, it also gained a whopping 163 lb-ft of torque.Add to that it also lost 90 kg. It was a huge improvement in terms of pure figures.

It gained 19 % in hp
    It gained 41 % in torque
    It lost 5.5 % weight

By comparison the F8 vs. 488 GTB

It gained 7.5 % in hp
    It gained 1.4 % in torque
    It lost 2.6 % in weight

While the power difference figures between the 488GTB and Pista are the same as the F8 vs. 488GTB, the main significance on paper, is weight, which represents a 5.75 % difference w/o carbon wheels.

As always, figures on paper never tell the whole story, but it's still interesting to see the difference in graphs and numbers.

10. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Liked what you wrote but there you say it in the last line. The Pista which the difference is MUCH less between Pista > F8 > 488. There is hell a difference 488 > 458

11. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #161 Shadowfax, Oct 25, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
    Outside the forum 99.999% give 488 V8TT sound a big thumbs up and it's really only a minority here who've made it their life's mission to push negative opinion. But who really cares anyway? Ferrari certainly doesn't and 488 owners certainly don't and why would they when 488 is a lot of car with performance to match?

I think 488 lost impetus in the market mainly because of F8 along with other brands offering equal or better performance. On today's market given 488's significant improvement in performance over 458 it represents an absolute bargain all things considering. I've found the general public absolutely love the look and sound of 488 - and over 458 - and I bet 99.999% wouldn't know an F8 is worth any more least of all notably different anywhere. Much is the same with Pista where so few of the general public can notice any difference from a regular 488. Maybe if the 2 were parked side by side they may see/learn. Guys like us can tell but let's face it, we also represent the minority so any extra money spent to buy one over the other will only have merit and value to us.

PS. I also wouldn't underestimate the performance improvements of a Pista over a 488. They are all very noticeable. If those who have sampled F8 are saying the difference felt between 488 and F8 is negligible that really doesn't surprise me as F8 was meant to retain the same intent as 488gtb.

Hendry2019 likes this.
  12. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    This is what the F8 should sound like at a minimum!

13. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Looks like a 458 - clearly no side vent... An F8 will never sound like that - has zero hope.

14. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I fully agree. And if you read some of my posts from the past, you'll see that I have often expressed my preference towards the 488 sound.

My point was simply that I thought it would be fun to see the numbers "on paper" as it were.

I will say that even outside of Fchat, I do seem to find that many who like cars, argue the case for the 458 sound. But it still don't matter much, as it just seems like they are jumping the band wagon. Most of them haven't even seen or heard the car run.

But yes, the difference between the Pista and 488 is a lot more than stats show, and the same can be said about the F8 vs. 488. But the technical stats are still part of the overall difference as well as similarity.

In the eyes of the public, I reckon that the F8 is a lot better than the 488, simply because it is a newer Ferrari. But the reality is that sometimes Ferrari make a big change, and sometimes it's more subtle - the case of the F8 is the latter.
    As for the Pista, so many little things come together to form a combined greater significance and difference. The X factor has always been part of Ferrari and most likely will continue to be for the forseeable future:)

Scudmsl, Hendry2019 and Shadowfax like this.
  15. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    For sure - all's good there! definitely not inferring in any way you're part of the 488 basher minority. As you say, as anyone I've heard comment negatively about a 488 in most cases doesn't even own a Ferrari and is just echoing what they've heard on a chat forum or from a friend with a 458 - who they want to support - when in reality they've never heard one least of all driven one but just want to sound like they are in the know when in reality they know less than nothing. Unfortunately some guys look for validation and significance in these types of discussions but wind up blowing their feet off during the course of discussion when at one point the reality and lack of first hand experience becomes exposed. Tragic.

Il Co-Pilota and Dicecal like this.
  16. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    What super car enthusiast cares what 99% of the general public thinks. The average person look at those who spend hundred of thousands on a car as crazy and / or decadent.

Thecadster, day355, Dicecal and 2 others like this.
  17. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Correct.

>95% of my encounters with the public, usually gas stations, outside restaurants, etc...is, "What an amazingly beautiful car, is that a Ferrari!? Can I take a picture? You must get a lot of tickets." Then some humorous exchanges about cops, cars are fun, etc.. Then they usually say, "Enjoy it man, stay safe out there!"
    Now, consider as well...I live in the Southern USA where people generally are of the conservative political spectrum, nice, polite, not envious of others success, see others success usually as inspirational.

I love watches...and own Patek Philippes...even my car guys friends shake their heads, "What kind of watch is that? Where is it made? How MUCH did you say it cost!!?? Why the hell would you buy that when your phone has the time????"

stavura, day355, Hendry2019 and 2 others like this.
  18. xfrgtr

xfrgtr Karting

Jul 20, 2011
    It's a 458.
    Yes, the sound is amazing.

19. xfrgtr

xfrgtr Karting

Jul 20, 2011
    You're right, it's a 458.

20. Texas2step

Texas2step Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2018
    Full Name:
    Bola olusola
    Agree I see no side vent

21. xfrgtr

xfrgtr Karting

Jul 20, 2011
    Hendry2019, on his youtube account, where he posted this video, he is saying that it is his car, a 488 with valve open.
    loooool!!!!!!

22. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Are you kidding me!? This guy is a phony?

xfrgtr likes this.
  23. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    The 488 is his car but the video is of a 458. exoticcardreamer caught him in lies previously. The nonsense about him not being able to differentiate the 488 from the F8 and all you guys coming to his defence. Then he claims he only drove the car for 2 laps so give him some slack. His posts seemed disingenuous and ultimately he has now been revealed as a fraud.

xfrgtr likes this.
  24. Hendry2019

Hendry2019 Karting

Jan 2, 2019
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Hendry
    Do you mean the video i posted during my spring track showing 458?? I did not get it really!

Please go and check my youtube channel and see some videos including the track with my 488 spider.

also i posted some videos showing that i have opened the valve permanently

Cheers

25. xfrgtr

xfrgtr Karting

Jul 20, 2011
    My 488 Spider on the track finally

That's a lie, it's a 458.