288 GTO Indepth Review | FerrariChat

288 GTO Indepth Review

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by FerrariFR33458, Oct 22, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerrariFR33458

FerrariFR33458 Formula 3

Aug 4, 2017
    Wash DC Area
    Full Name:
    FR33
  2. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Indepth??
    And nobody has checked chassis and engine number? Gearbox number? Scaglietti Body number? Age of tires? Warranty booklet? French delivery (yellow headlights).

Marcel Massini

3. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Utter nonsense. It isn't a buyer's review of a particular car, it is using one particular example to give a look at the model. Nothing about the particular car is in any way relevant. Perhaps you should pay more attention before leaping in.

Albert-LP likes this.
  4. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
    I liked it!
    A good honest, unoffensive, non-probing look at the model - it was nice to see the arrangement of the switches versus the arrangement for a car with electric windows, also what looks like an original radio blanking plate, showing that even without the radio the car came with the built in GTO speaker covers in the door card. Lots of nice original or well restored features. Maybe the exhaust tips were a little larger than the original standard system, but I would need to pull the original silencer out of storage to compare, but overall absolutely no problem with any off this.

A PDI it was not, but that was very clearly never the intention.

Albert-LP likes this.
  5. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I agree, in depth means in great detail / comprehensively / thoroughly / extensively and the car's important individual identifying markings
    notwithstanding, I can think of half-a-dozen important areas that he missed discussing.

Anyone doing a review of a multi-million-dollar iconic Ferrari Supercar declared as "in-depth" would do well to end the film having covering the the car's important individual identifying markings, Ferraris are all about their individual identity so coverage of same only enhances the piece and expectation of this is nothing unusual.

To be fair and objective, I liked it too, and its always good to see our favorite cars discussed in a video.

However, there were a number of errors and omissions.

In the narration he made a mistake when he said that the car was "built around a tubular steel body" but I'm sure that was just a mix-up as he went on to refer to the correct composite materials panels for the body.

He then made a mistake in his assertion the the famed GTO triple vents in the rear fenders are for venting the rear wheel arches, they are for venting the engine bay.

He also made a mistake when he said the tops of the inner door panels, and the dashboard, are "upholstered with suede", they are in fact upholstered with a fabric velour material, easy to see they are not suede if he had actually looked closely or touched them.

He incorrectly stated that the car has "leather upholstered sun visors", they are in fact paneled and piped with a vinyl material, as is the headliner, again if you feel & touch them you can see they are vinyl.

He omitted to speak about some important aspects of this benchmark supercar, the layout of the drivetrain and why it exists as such with oil-filler on the outside of the car and gearbox easily rear accessible, the engine components (BEHR intercoolers, turbos, waste-gate) as they relate to the F1 cars of the day, wheel specification with center-bolts, exhaust system and options, the fact that not only is it the First of the Ferrari Supercar Series and always will be, and more besides.

In his narration he continuously compared the car to the 308 suggesting it is an evolution of that model, this speaks to a generalized understanding of the car, as any in-depth coverage of the GTO will quickly establish what it's designer Leonardo Fioravanti has said all along, shape aside, this car has nothing to do with the 308.

Also, although his delivery was very clear, I thought it was very monotone without the passion associated with speaking of Ferraris!

Lastly he kept referring to the car as "GTO" as if it is a person, the correct reference should surely be "The GTO".

Still, overall a nice piece, the video was well-filmed, good to see coverage of the cars, I think calling in-depth is what allows it to be judged to the ultimate standard.

Collesano and werewolf like this.
  6. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    pathetic

7. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I wouldn't use that word to describe the piece, IMO it's a nice overview, but not in-depth.