575 on the move | Page 2 | FerrariChat

575 on the move

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Clyde Romero, Oct 4, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Clyde Romero

Clyde Romero Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    Thanks for the words
    As you can see I’ve calmed down a lot as I’ve gotten older
    I am enjoying the chat forum, don’t get me wrong the list is were my heart is and you know it
    But so far so good here in chat land
    Anyone reading this is probably thinking who is this guy anyway
    Once again thanks for the kind words

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Clyde- In the low grip mode, the system automatically upshifts at 3200 rpm, the limit for that mode. Around Section 2.66 in the OM, "Low Grip Mode".

Clyde Romero likes this.
  3. Clyde Romero

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    So I guess manual mode isn’t really manual when in low grip mode then
    Thanks

4. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Clyde- Manual mode is not manual if an owner lets the revs fall far enough in any mode, too. The system will then downshift all the way to first to keep the engine from stalling and finally open the clutch in 1st. In Normal mode, the system will also shift at redline if the driver forgets to do it. In Sport the system will let you bounce her off the redline.

5. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Clyde, its great you are here, and gives me another reason to login. Whether I agree or not, I enjoy reading your posts and opinions, you tell it as you see it.
    Dave

6. Clyde Romero

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    Thank you for that
    Dave

7. Clyde Romero

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    Ok
    So tomorrow I leave for Norfolk Va my first stop enroute to New Jersey
    Where the weather this coming weekend is supposed to be very cold
    Looking forward to the run
    After NJ it’s on to Conn. then NH then Pa then headed back south
    I am a firm believer in letting these cars idle a while after a cold soak evening
    Anyway I am gassed up and fluids check and ready to press out
    Until then

8. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Safe travels Clyde!

9. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Hi Clyde.

Interesting reading. I also share your perception around driving the most with these cars. People tend to «save them for later», but who knows, the world changes and so do our health. I just know that I don’t have time to wait for a better life in the future. Better to enjoy while cars with big gas engines are still allowed to be driven and I have a fresh mind and body!! These 456/550/575 models from Ferrari appears to me to be extremely robust and well put together. Here in Europe, we have seen several cars with 300.000+ kms. on the clock and still runs perfect. A mechanical machine is meant to be driven and if you do, it will stay healthy. When people considder a Ferrari with 25.000 miles as «high miles», I start to wonder how few brain cells are left... What a joke! These cars are quite thirsty around town, but I actually managed to get it down to exactly 10 liters per 100 kms. through a full tank of fuel here one day when I went through France after a day through Germany consuming about twice as much :) I have a fellow car friend who also were into planes as an aircraft mechanic and he is like you. Knows his **** about understanding cars from a technical point of view. He has 15 Lambos and a few American cars aswell. Please post some pictures of your trips. Always interesting to hear what people experience in «daily Ferrari life»!! I have driven through US many times from Key West to Connecticut and into KY and TN too. Also one time from Sacramento to Miami. The US is the country for cars! And I love it. But have never driven a Ferrari over there. But would shure be nice. You have a loooong straight stretch of «German Autobahn» somewhere I believe it is on I-95 in north east of Georgia or vest of SC where I always want to go top speed. Have you ever tried that?? Your 575 should definately pass 200 mph. easily. My 550 easily do 325 kph. which is 200 or more. :) I know the troopers are hard to spot where they lay in the bushen with their radars on. Tvat’s why I haven’t done it as a visitkort.

Regarding your first post about the aircon, I would be interested in knowing if there are any differences in the AC system from a 550 to a 575. My 550 AC is working and full of AC gas, but I am not overly impressed about the cooling when idling in hot temps. But as long as the car is moving at freeway speeds it is pretty good after about 10 minutes. I put temporarily on a digital temp meter for the engine compartment temp to see the correlation between engine coolant temp, AC performance, speed and engine compartment temp. Air flow through the grill and engine compartment is a big big thing to make everything work well. But not easy to get the same flow with the cooling fans as when the car is moving. I have found out that on my car, the air flow from the cooling fans is about as efficient as driving the car at around 20 mph. give or take. A new custom radiator is on my to-do list. I sell American powerboats like Cigarette and other brands. So even if I am Norwegian, I stay as much as I can in south of France and cooperate with the Cigarette dealer here. So I get to drive the 550 daily now as it is my only car doen here. It is just perfect!! And I put kilometers on it without any concearns.

Welcome to FerrariChat. Great source for knowledge and chatting with fellow car nerds!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Doug. and Clyde Romero like this.
  10. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

#35 Cribbj, Nov 6, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
    Erik not to speak for Clyde, but other 575M owners have written that their A/C units work OK in traffic on high ambient temperature days, so I think we 550 owners have some work to do to bring our cars' HVAC and engine cooling systems up to the level of the 575M. I compared P/N's between the 550 & 575M air conditioning, and it looks like they both use the same compressor and condenser, but the P/N for the 575M evaporator is different from the 550. I didn't cross check all the other little pieces like the drier, hoses, etc. as I don't feel they affect the performance of the system.

One thing we could consider, which most American automakers do, as well as Japanese, is to put an auxiliary cooling fan in front of the condenser and/or keep the radiator fans running all the time that the A/C is on. You'll notice that if the fans cycle off at idle in traffic, the temperature of the air coming out of the ducts in the cabin rises fairly rapidly. This is because there is no air moving across the condenser so it has no way to reject the heat coming into it from the evaporator.

I think you modified the fan circuit in your car, so you already have the capability of manually switching the radiator fans on? If so, try switching them on the next time you're sitting in traffic and see if that helps the temperature of the air coming out of your A/C unit.

F456M likes this.
  11. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    John- Affirmative, my 575's AC works fine sitting at idle on 90F+ days at 5500' elevation and 5% humidity. AC is always on in the 575M if the temperature is above 59F.

12. Clyde Romero

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    I am with you Erik
    I plan to drive the paint off the 575
    I just turned over 34k miles with it today and I have another 3 k more driving to do
    New Hampshire Connecticut Pennsylvania then back home to Atlanta next week
    I also own a 512 TR with 109k on it
    Yes over 100k miles on it and not issues what so ever
    Even the rat seat belts work!
    That stretch of road you are talking about it
    I-16 from Macon Ga to Savanna Ga you could use it for a runway
    I took the 512 on it and did 180 many years back
    Over here anything 20 mph over the speed limit is considered reckless driving and the fine could include
    Jail time so I will pass on breaking 200 with the 575
    In my old life I did 2.1 Mach in a RF-4C that was plenty!
    It’s funny I want to ship my 575 over to Europe and drive it there in the near future
    Have to work out the details etc shipping, insurance
    But tomorrow is promised to no one and I have to make things happen
    I own an apartment in Paris in the 6 th and always wanted to park my Ferrari in front of the
    cafe du flore on st Germaine !!!!
    Everyone has a dream
    As for the A/C the 575 is the platinum standard as far as I am concerned
    Been to New Orleans this August 95 degrees outside with a heat index we’ll over 100
    Car blows 45 degree air in stop and go traffic
    That’s a 40 degree delta !
    Doesn’t get much better than that for a 16 year old system
    Love those boats you sell
    Always wanted one but they say the 2 times you love a boat are the day you buy it and the day you sell it
    It’s seems that Ferrari always makes the second iteration of car better
    It was the case with the 308 vs 328 and definitely the 512 TR over the TR
    And I can readily see the differences with the 550 vs 575

Currently in Norfolk Va, left Atlanta this morning, cool morning
    Tomorrow a 5 hr run into New Jersey
    Tolls everywhere EZ Pass city ! Ugh
    Plenty of cold weather starts ahead for me, suppose to be 40 in the am
    Car is black so it’s stealth, nothing like the 512 TR
    If it didn’t have the shields and the horses on it
    No one would know what it was
    Love that
    Getting 21 mpg at 75-80 no air on
    That’s it for now
    Stay tuned

21ATS, F456M and f355spider like this.
  13. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik

Hi Cribb. Quite interesting about the part numbers. It is exactly like you say, the condenser needs constant airflow to stay cool in order to make cold air inside the car.. My car blows quite cold now if the car is moving fast. In traffic, the fans run constantly… Still not very good AC in traffic. The fans are not efficient enough. No, I have not put external relays and wiring on yet, but they will come.

14. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    #39 F456M, Nov 7, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    Great great reading !!!

Yes that strech is seriously long. First time I went there, all cars were driving exactly at 80 mph. with the cruise Control on, so wherever I locked, the cars were in the exact same positions, so at a point, it felt like we were standing still. Pretty sick experience…

About shipping your car to Europe... It is a brilliant idea. I have thought the same myself, and this year I sent my XK8 (the one I bought in Sacramento) to Sweden from Ft. Lauderdale in a container for only 1.800 dollar! It was a breeze. Since I imported the car, I had to pay 25% VAT tax, but since you come here for vacation, things are different. But a customs agent might have to charge you a little bit to make a guarantee to ustoms for 20-25% tax in case you never return to the US with the car. It will not leave the ISPS port without all papers done correctly. But there are solutions to that! Down here around Monaco, I see quite a few cars with US registration. There was a burgundy Rolls Royce Cullinan with Maryland plates here the other day! If you got a place to stay in Paris and you have two Ferraris, I would not wait!! Then you have the European continent outside your doorstep and it takes you just a few houres to most any countries in Europe. As a jet pilot, I am sure you will love it. I am talking with "Lionworks" here also about this, but it seems like someone needs to get the ball starting to roll :) Driving in the alps is also great fun!

If you like engines and the sound of power, drive down to Saint-Tropez. It is the "Miami" of Europe with yachts and powerboats at the docks for rent or buy. A super Scenic little coastal town in the bay "Golfe de Saint-Tropez". I currently have a Cigarette and an Azimut 86 foot yacht for charter with a captiain/skipper. The Cig can be rented for only an houre or more, so a big experience which is in fact quite inexpencive. The sound of a boat like that is totaly superb. I work with Sportmer, the Company which have sold Riva from Italy since 1962 and Cigarette from Miami since 1973 with customers from all over the world!

If you upload ictures to this thread, I am sure many here would like to see pictures of our cars! It is pretty easy to do.

Enjoy your trip and live life to the max!!!!!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login View attachment 693396

Attached Files:

Doug., JimEakin, Il Tifoso and 2 others like this.
  15. Clyde Romero

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero

16. Clyde Romero

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    done monaco twice
    I am a huge F-1 fan very familiar with the area
    flew Europe as an airline pilot
    looking at doing this car trip in 2021

on another note for those of you who drive your cars in the winter
    here is a a tip
    right now I am in Mount holly NJ and its rainy and cold
    the car takes around 5 minutes to get the heat to the compartment
    and longer than that to defog the windshield
    at least this has been my experience so far on this trip
    I am going to find some of that defog stuff to put on the inside windshield since it takes so long for the system to heat up and defog the windshield
    tomorrow morning its suppose to be around 30 so I will be the test dummy on this
    overall car is running great
    have 900 plus miles on this trip so far
    stay tuned

psych0hans and F456M like this.
  17. Clyde Romero

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero

18. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Clyde- Normally the air conditioner will do a better job of clearing the windshield, but sometimes not too comfortable.

Clyde Romero likes this.
  19. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Clyde Romero likes this.
  20. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Exactly what I was going to suggest. There is a small rubber hose on the right side of the prop shaft tunnel just aft of the catalyzers. Mine was clogged and then there is a nasty fog that takes forever to de-mist. If you have water (condensation) in the air box inside the car, that is a bad thing in freezing conditions. The last time I had this problem was now in September. I heared slushing sounds of water inside my dashboard.... AC still worked, but the air was slightly humid. Then in a sharp left turn, water poured out of the dash! I had the car lifted, put a air gun up the hose from the underside of the car and blew properly up the hose and out poured out probably two liters of clean condensatiob water! This should be done every time the car is on a lift! If possible, you could do this and see If it helpes. I had problems with the screen being fogged. A reason is thet HVAC system recirculate the air even If the recirculation button is not pressed in. This is to heat up and cool the car faster. It let new air in every now and then... it is written in the owners manual. If you are wet on your shoes this only makes it worse. I have a rubber mat with edges that I put in when it is wet outside so the carpet doesn’t soak up the water. And I even installed one umbrella for each person so you are not completely wet if it starts to rain and for some reason you need to go out in the rain and come back wet. It takes forever to get the minister out and dry up everything.

Clyde, do you run winter tires? A Maranello on hard summer rubber in snow is pretty dangerous. I have done it once. And never again... :) Post some pictures please!! Good trip.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. Clyde Romero

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    Thanks
    I think I am ok in that department
    I think I would have had a problem by now since I was running the A/C this summer hard and it was plenty humid
    Can’t check it now since I am on the road
    But it’s on my check list when I return

F456M likes this.
  22. Clyde Romero

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    A true cold weather start this morning
    Let the water and oil temp come off the peg before driving off

Heater worked great
    My guess it had not been cycled in years so everything was stiff

F456M likes this.
  23. AVIMAX

AVIMAX Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2014
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    F456M likes this.
  24. Clyde Romero

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    Damn
    Things crave cold weather
    Heater and rear window defroster works fine
    Car cranked up without any issues
    Before I left I replaced the windshield fluid with the -20 stuff just in case
    And I put 32 psi in each tire
    I don’t get why guys don’t drive these cars in the winter
    So it gets a little dirty
    Good sex is dirty!!!!

Canuck550 and F456M like this.
  25. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Clyde- Just do not use her where there is snow, slush or freezing rain on the road and the tires cannot warm up. Rubber compound does not work for squat then.