Fall Stoogeapalloza | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Fall Stoogeapalloza

Discussion in '348/355' started by TrojanFan, Aug 20, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    ???Isn't the tstat right there in front on the top??

2. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Yes but it wasn't to a Stooge event.

3. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    address sent via PM to everyone on the list. If you plan to attend but didn't have your name down, let me know.

4. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    FYI, the Sepulveda Basin fire is over 2 miles away and should be contained overnight. It should not be any issue for Saturday.

Hammonds rider likes this.
  5. TOMATO81

TOMATO81 Rookie

Oct 7, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Any update on the fire? is the gathering still happening?

6. RudyP

RudyP Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

I sure hope it is still happening because I'm about to drive a couple of hours to get there...

7. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #82 TrojanFan, Oct 26, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
    QSA likes this.
  8. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Now for the "Ketel"award.

Third runner up: FBB for not showing up. He claims he had to work on the wifes car today.

Second runner up: Socal1 -Tim for not showing up. He claimed he mixed the date up with the 355 anniversery event on Nov 17.

First runner up: Toonfossi - Chad for not showing up. He overslept. Dude come up with a better excuse that that.

And the Ketel Award goes to a first time participant Tomato81 - Ken. After a full day of working on his car and getting it buttoned up, it leaked like a sieve. He had to have the car flat bedded out. Anyone getting towed out is a Ketel winner!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

BOKE, QSA and Toonfosi like this.
  9. RudyP

RudyP Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

10. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    We were making fun of all the issues the 355 were supposed to be having over the 348..., I can only remember tow trucks showing up for two 348 cars at the event. The first one was that alternator on the yellow 348 some years ago and now this red 348.

I am going to stop making fun of 355s....

11. QSA

QSA Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    Kingwood, TX
    Full Name:
    Quinn
    Leaked after a triple/TOB/shaft seal replacement? Or was it a new leak? Bad luck either way.

Looks like a fun event.

Who’s who in these pictures?

12. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    MF'er I thought it was in 2 weeks

Spent the day at the vet with one of my dogs getting his cast removed

13. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Sorry I could not make it. Vince and I talked about several things over cell phones so commingling of stories happens because we can each hear about 1/2 of what each other said. The story is family obligations on wife's side. I do have too many car projects. One involves very expensive shock absorbers and lots of welding.

I like the white 348. I have only seen 1 other.

14. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    OK let's hear the story!

QSA likes this.
  15. TOMATO81

TOMATO81 Rookie

Oct 7, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ken
    :):):)

Yea. It turned out to be quite an event. But you guys were the most positive things. So much support and love

16. brent Lachelt

brent Lachelt Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    Brownsburg, INDIANA
    Full Name:
    Brent R.Lachelt
    Have you been able to determine what happened yet?

17. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Stooges,

At 4AM this morning when I was going through Los Angeles, I took this picture of the hillside behind Peter's place.

Peter, if you are on line, I wish you and your family well. Stay safe.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

TrojanFan, 308 GTB and Hammonds rider like this.
  18. TOMATO81

TOMATO81 Rookie

Oct 7, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ken
    #94 TOMATO81, Oct 28, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
    It's either the two little seals behind the flange. or the throwout bearing was not installed properly. Bruce will open it to check.

19. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Ta
    Me pictures so we can learn from it :)

20. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    First, many thanks to Peter and Jen for opening their house to the Stooges once again. It was the usual food fest with some drinking and limoncello tasting. Work centered around Ken and his leaking triple seals - or so as they were diagnosed. May have been another issue. Ken's 1990 has the original double can exhaust - dude, dump that boat anchor system! - and 17" wheels - Ken, come to the light and upgrade. For every 348 owner these two changes alone will improve your car by a factor of 2 easily. Anyway, the story is we disassembled the necessary parts to get to the clutch cover - exhaust heat shields, rear bumper, rear wheels and the bottom can of the two-can system. Pumpkin was removed without any drama. Looked like the new seals went on pretty easily after they were boiled on the stove with some eggs for the deviled egg appetizers. The car had the Hill throw-out bearing and bearing mount already, but someone got it in mind to replace the orange seal on the mounting flange. I did not see it myself, but I think I should have inspected it carefully. This because after I did mine, the whole thing leaked like Ken's car after it was buttoned up. Moreover, the clutch failed to engage and disengage the disk so something got messed up. That seal has to be properly and deeply seated. I think that it may not have been which means that it got ripped upon reassembly of the housing. At least, that was my experience. For me, I still had the original throw out bearing flange with stock seal so I reinstalled it with the Hill bearing and it has been perfect ever since. (6 years maybe?)

Anyway the car is over at Bruce's and he will get to the bottom of it. I will stop by and see if I can offer anything other than comic relief. We'll report back soon.

Hammonds rider likes this.
  21. QSA

QSA Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    Kingwood, TX
    Full Name:
    Quinn
    So what did you do differently the second time you installed (successfully)? Just seated the internal TOB seal better?

Curious, as I may upgrade to a Hill bearing during my belt service next year.

22. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

[likely unrelated to Ken or Vince's situation..... but...]

When the Hill Engineering flange is installed, the (included in the box) threaded pins 65928500 need to be installed into the galleyway holes at the top of the unit. It's hard to imagine missing/forgetting that step, but indeed it would cause a pretty epic leak of hydraulic fluid if not done.

23. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    We did receive text warnings starting at 3:00 am however the fire was never closer than about 2 miles from us and the wind blew it the other direction. All safe. We didn't even smell smoke and everything was being blown offshore.

Mmckee likes this.
  24. brent Lachelt

brent Lachelt Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    Brownsburg, INDIANA
    Full Name:
    Brent R.Lachelt
    Did you ever get it fixed and find out what the problem was? I have the upgraded hill bearing and snout and have never had any problems, but I’ve never changed the seals since I installed it.