812 Market Dynamics | Page 11 | FerrariChat

812 Market Dynamics

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by 1881, May 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hagen111

hagen111 Karting

Feb 25, 2006
    The trend over de last 50 years is that production has been growing continuously, yes a few misses...but the rest was big plusses year on year...irrespective if Enzo, Luca, who knows who were running the company.

At the same time...our wealth in the 'western part of the world' has increased...more people can afford a Ferrari...

And then emerging markets have created new blood...people who want to buy and own Ferraris...and have money to do so.

Off course you supply them to whoever wants them. And it is good...cars maintain 'accessible', lots of great models being released! The brand is stronger than ever. No one is selling out! The cars have never been faster, better, more profitable for Ferrari as today. They are still in F1!

I observe with admiration...

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  2. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Production will be concurrent but the bulk of 812 orders will be for existing customers with coupes already, wanting a spider. Those will need to be satisfied so it is likely production will be around 4:1 in favour of GTS once it gets going. Just a guess though.

Lots of 812 delays, including mine and more famously The Car Guys’ car also. Mine was supposed to be Jan, then March, then May, July and finally October. It’s just gone into build (for which I feel grateful, then a bit silly for feeling grateful given how much it will cost, but mostly still grateful - Ferrari eh?)

Musicman and deltona like this.
  3. 1881

1881 Karting

Dec 21, 2016
    Given that the are 300-350 cars in the market, it sounds more like that you've been pushed down the list rather than actual delays (which would mean no other cars would have come into the market, but there's literally been a flood of cars booking in over the last three quarters)

Out of interest and if you can disclose, when did you order

IPO1 likes this.
  4. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    #254 [gTr], Oct 23, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
    Even though I agree with the basic premise of your statement, I totally disagree with your blame on Wall Street. The greed was on part of the private owners of Ferrari who removed Luca and brought in Sergio. Also, the management does not need to follow a strategy of producing more cars, they can remain a smaller high margin business but they choose to set a strategy of growth to attain a higher share price. Wall Street does not magically make up numbers and tell the management to produce that. Wall Street works off of the guidance provided by the management and its strategy and calibrates its projections accordingly. I could have potentially agreed with your comment if there was an activist investor involved but that is not the case here. I would lay the blame with the management post Luca and the Exor group and not wall street.

5. 1881

1881 Karting

Dec 21, 2016

It's s bit more complex than that.... Ferrari was ultimately the golden goose that was slaughtered to safe the parent company. From the FT at the time

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Now you obviously try to sell it as expensive as possible, so the valuation was at a significant premium to other car manufacturers and ultimately you can only justify a premium through higher growth. Investors don't care about brand value if it doesn't generate cash flow, best example is Aston Martin

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Particularly striking is the multiple differential Vs Fiat (note this is from 2017 but still holds true)

Compensation package of management is tied to share price performance, and so they need to drive growth.

In 2016 and 2017 revenue grew c. 10 pct while in 2018 revenue were flat while shipments are up 10 pct (portofino driven). They were saved by EBITDA growth of 9 pct presumably due to higher margins, but they can't play that game forever

2019 revenue guidance is 3 pct while EBITDA is 10 pct... They are clearly struggling to get back to the revenue growth they had in the past. So what do you do, you exchange long term value (brand) for short term value (revenue growth) .... And this comes exactly when the market is turning

At the end it's short term incentivisation that drives management decisions.... But then there was still the decision in the first place to IPO

Everything goes in cycles.... Curious how things will pan out with the new strategy

Caeruleus11, nads and [gTr] like this.
  6. nads

nads Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2008
    London, UK
  7. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    #257 Lukeylikey, Oct 23, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
    At the VIP launch in 2017 I asked for an allocation. Placed a deposit soon after, did TM in March 2018. Some of the other regular customers from my dealer got theirs at the turn of the year but I think there were some difficulties for a short period mid-year. I have the feeling that the new regulations and change to 2020 MY brought some complexities, could be wrong about that though. My build was admittedly a complicated one. 300-350 in the UK currently seems about right.

8. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    There must be something in this. But when you look back over Ferrari history, the valuable cars are the best ones, with their value being influenced also by volume. It’s hard to see the bad periods of Ferrari in the past in the value of the cars they produced during those periods - for example the company was in trouble on numerous occasions. The 348 was developed/designed in a very difficult period for the company, pre Luca, but they also built the 288 GTO and F40 around that time. That’s not to say that short term owners didn’t suffer through, they did. But long term buyers, buying for the right reasons (the cars) should still be able to buy great cars to hold and enjoy for a long period of time, at reasonable net cost. If you change and flip quickly life does now get more difficult.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  9. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Goes without saying that they wouldn't be beholden to WS greed had Sergio regime not gone that direction. But they did, and now the rest is unfortunately predictable. Companies with management making quarter-to-quarter decisions to please the Street's greed always look to suck out every penny. Does that seem consistent with what Ferrari has historically been about? Do you think Ferrari (as a company and as a brand) would have achieved what they did, had previous management been about sucking out every penny? (...to please Wall Street) That is what Wall Street is all about, so Ferrari have no choice but go down that path. I base this statement on having gone through two IPO's during my career, and seeing first hand how the businesses (are forced to) change post-IPO. Ferrari now going down that same path. Incidentally, neither existed as a standalone entity within 5-7 years of IPO, both having been trapped/forced into profit-driven mergers.

Solid State likes this.
  10. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    As soon as you said TM we all knew why the delays, so random the timing when go down that path,

Bhh likes this.
  11. montpellier

montpellier Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2009
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Paul
    There are a few delivery miles registered 812 around at dealers with a big discount from owners wanting out (40 to 50 k off) . If they delayed your car, maybe worth, if you can get out of the order, getting a new car bargain. Good spec too the last one sold by Joe Macari . Over production, too many new models and market saturation. Ferrari probably don't worry their new car orders are saturated, but dealer network is overloaded and cannot afford to take in the exchanges. For UK best thing Ferrari can do is stop all 812 coupe production orders and switch to GTS volumes. Not helped by political uncertainty , but the issues will get worse across the range if volumes in the market are not reduced. Or Ferrari will become the champion of new car depreciation all time records as well as performance car design. Owner panic has set it too, plus people wanting out before their GTS comes. One of the greatest cars ever produced by Ferrari but nobody wants a used one right now. To think a year ago premiums were still being paid.

Best solution, advised to me by a wonderful car guy. "I have no idea what you mean by depreciation, I never sell them just buy them and drive them "

12. KenU

KenU Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Ken
    No panic here. Saw the GTS and even more in love with my ‘19 coupe now, minus gas filter worries. And, I’m a spider lover/owner to boot! Just not this one..

R J, montpellier, Shack and 1 other person like this.
  13. 1881

1881 Karting

Dec 21, 2016
    I would concur, we have around 40 cars in the market, but only because no dealer will want to have more stock as people already got burned

At some point it seemed that the market settled at 320, Amari (and also others) were selling a number of cars at that price point.... They then loaded up with 5 cars in like no time (also shows how easy it is to get new stock and how long the line is behind what's officially on the market) ... Meanwhile 'a large London dealer' literally dumped all of their cars they couldn't sell for months at 298k irrespective of spec, mileage and production year... Most dealers followed and took the ask down 15-20 k

That spooked the market to my mind (plus yes Brexit) ... As if a major dealer shows so little trust in the market and signals that they literally just want to get rid of the cars resulting in a market repricing.... Who would want the buy??

My view is it's going to get worse as the 150-200 2/3 Q cars haven't even hit the market

When I started this post my view was that the market was going to be at 300-320 by year end (at the time cars were trading at 340-350) ... We are now in October and already below....I wouldn't be surprised that before next summer we'll be at 250-270

I don't think the GTS will be much immune to the market dynamics and neither will the VS fetch s large premium ..I hope I'll be proven wrong

14. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    I unfortunately think your last point is well worth considering further. The European motor industry is littered with merger cases and there is no doubt this could be highly likely for Ferrari. For example, the German motor industry loves to do this - VW with Audi, Skoda, Porsche, Lamborghini etc. Mercedes have not really done this, preferring instead to co-found projects like Smart and widen their own model range - the notable exception being their merger/takeover of Chrysler which ended unsuccessfully. They are also direct competitors in F1 and so I have the feeling that they wouldn’t do it. Which leaves BMW. They took over the remnants of the main British manufacturer and have kept Mini and Rolls Royce, building both into successful brands once again - you could conclude they like the concept. There have long been talks (and I recall now announced) of a deal to find a way to provide scale battery/EV powertrains for their future production, meaning that they could be among the type of owner that could release value from Ferrari who are committed to ICE. It would give them a super-brand, a presence in F1 again that rivals Mercedes and widens their portfolio in a very successful way. This is in no way a prediction and no doubt there are many reasons why this is not a good idea, unknown to us. But it perhaps serves as an example of why Ferrari might be appealing at the right price to an owner.

Whether any of us would still feel the same about a Ferrari owned in future by someone else depends, I suppose, on who that someone is.

15. nads

nads Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2008
    London, UK
    Nail, head.

deltona likes this.
  16. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    #266 Eilig, Oct 24, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
    Taking your point one step further... Both post-IPO mergers that I referenced resulted from lackluster share performance 5-7 years out, as a result of certain factors not materializing as forecast. A few quarters of missed earnings, rating reductions from analysts, then the stock hit new lows, resulting in takeover vulnerability.

There is more than a handful of us long-term Ferrari die-hard faithful who have already indicated that we henceforth will not buy new Ferrari cars - for a number of reasons. As the overproduction trend continues, more get burned on rapid depreciation and quit buying new cars. Sales take a hit, and eventually that is reflected in the numbers. A few quarters of missed earnings, then.............. (!!)

All entirely within realm of possibility. Your point on BMW is an interesting one indeed.

17. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Slightly off topic, but if ferrari has to merge, I don’t see a path where Aston survives also.

18. montpellier

montpellier Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2009
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Another view to add to the mix, what would Ferrari/Lambo and the others look and feel like when they are 100 percent electric power, and without the heart and beat of the IC ? All of them play on that aspect today as the essential ingredient for their product, when that is normalised, and no longer is part of the emotional ownership experience, will they still have the same appeal ? Yes they will be fast, hyper fast, but will they lose some of the brand essence. Max the share price now and sell off whilst it is at the peak ? I admire some of the current electric cars, blown away by performance, but I don't love them in any way. Younger generations may of course have a totally different perspective.

19. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    No way market will be that HIGH next Summer in UK and 300/320 is dreaming, you can get anything with 1000 miles plus for 290

20. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    Ferrari far too expensive at current multiples to be taken out

21. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Just wait until they miss a few quarters of earnings. That will all change. tick tock tick tock

22. 1881

1881 Karting

Dec 21, 2016
    ? I said 250-270 by next summer....300-320 was this year end but yes we are already below

23. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    That’s true but it is not difficult to imagine a scenario where the price has fallen to a level that makes sense to someone in a few years. Not predicting it but it is possible.

24. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    For sure as long as brand translates to new world and decline of ICE and not the next Kodak.

25. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    People dropping like flies around me, cancer etc. Just got to try to enjoy eh.

montpellier, Thecadster, C50 and 3 others like this.