430 Scud Tires | FerrariChat

430 Scud Tires

Discussion in '360/430' started by SlowScud, Oct 22, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SlowScud

SlowScud Karting

Oct 10, 2019
    Texas
    Curious what folks here are doing for tires on 430s now that tire tech has advanced a bit over past decade.

Ive got a Scud with Corsas. No complaints but have heard they don’t last long. Best to stick with those or would Cup2 or 4S be an upgrade? Not tracking the car, care more about feel than ultimate grip levels.

2. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I love my Trofeo Rs. Sticky as hell and faster than Cup 2s. I don't track the car anymore, but I live in a moderate climate and want the most performance I can get in a street tire.

f355spider, Flea7 and ferrame like this.
  3. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    #3 freshmeat, Oct 23, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
    If you're looking for track performance, I've been told those new Goodyear F1s are the top shelf option right now.

And define "long" because I don't see many scud owners driving more than 5k miles a year and any of these tires would last through more or less the same mileage. If you're talking about track endurance, they are all pretty much the same lifespan ie 10 track sessions at best and things get really lively.

I'm currently running Michelin Cup 2s.

f355spider likes this.
  4. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    Love mine...but suck in cold & wet weather and they don't last.... they come 5/32 tread new.

5. ferrame

ferrame Formula 3

Mar 2, 2005
    Orange, Calif
    I have Trofeo R on mine and love the grips and cornering also perfect for tracking and driving to and from the track providing the road surface isn't wet.

6. SlowScud

SlowScud Karting

Oct 10, 2019
    Texas
    Thanks everyone. So I guess my real question, now that I think about it some more, is the really sticky modern rubber still fun for street driving? Or would you be better off with something like 4Ss than is more street oriented, not as sticky as trofeos but potentially more enjoyable with little to no impact on performance vs what came on the car in 2009?

Realize this is totally subjective. Just thought someone may have tried a few over the years.

7. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    It is totally subjective. The scud isn’t exactly the easiest car to drift so I prefer to have as much grip as possible.

f355spider likes this.
  8. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I have the oem Corsas, but intend to get Cup2 in the spring, as I am due for tires. From my understanding, the Cup2 is a better tire, but also, you should be able to obtain them with reasonably recent dates. The annoying thing with Corsas is they seem to only produce them every 12 to 16 months, so hard to get recent ones. This problem is worse for the rears, which are Ferrari specific with left and right part numbers.

Don't forget to replace the TPMS at the same time....they only last 6 to 8 years and minimal labor to do at the same time. Oem Huf are inexpensive online

9. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    4S if you aren’t going to track it.

imho the corsa’s are out of their league even vs the 4S, let alone the stickier tired mentioned here.

4S will stick better and behave better and likely ride better and certainly handle water better than the corsa. Just better in every way. You would have to look far and wide to find complaints about 4s from other than track junkies.

10. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    What’s the latest? (For track junkies?). Thanks
    Michelin Front cup tire comes in a 245/35/19 not a 235 ...