Recommend A Car For 6? | FerrariChat

Recommend A Car For 6?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by TigerAce, Mar 2, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    I haven't kept up w/ what's out there now. I need a car that can accomodate at least 6 (2 adults w/ 4 kids) preferrably 8 (when Grandpa & Grandmo visits).

We never owned a van, but we looked at Sienna few weeks ago, and it looked good. Navigator also looked good, too.

Suburban, Expedition, & Excursion (what we drove in the past 9 years) are out, as we like driving different cars.

Let me know a maker & model names if you know any good car. Or any site which shows all cars available.

Thanks

Yoshi

2. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Honda Odyssey.

Toyota Sequoia

Good quality, low maintenance, and great resale value.

3. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Toyota Sequoia

4. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    The Navigator is a great SUV if your primary use will be on-road.

5. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    HI YOSH

I HAVE A DURANGO AND LOVE IT

SEATS 6 PEOPLE..VERY COMFORTABLE HAS A.3RD SEAT

THE NEW HEMI-DURANGO ARE QUITE NICE TOO..

GOOD LUCK,
    BRUCE

6. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    "HEMI" :) Good point, Bruce.

7. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Toyota Tarago (that is what it is called in Australia anyway).

Got one not long ago, and while not an exciting vehicle a very acomplished (sp?) vehicle that has loads of space and is very quiet.

Hard to find in manual form in Australia, so I had to accept an automatic one ... thus my left leg is now confused and bored, thus practising left foot braking.

Pete

8. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    Lafun 2 & Solipsist (how do'ya like DFW?),
    Yes, Sequoia is very nice, but won't be much different from what we had before, Land Cruiser in '80s. Also several of our friends has this car, so...
    (you know!)

Tyler & Bruce (how's your new ventrure?)
    Yes Navigator is for on-road driving only. I haven't check Hemi Durango yet. Saw Durango in 2001 when we ended up w/ Excursion.

Psk,
    I wish what this Tarago is in the US.

There are some cars I am interested but only sold in Japan. These cars are made for outdoor people....

We have been driving SUV since '86 (very 1st was Jeep Cherokee, hahaha, remember DINKS & yuppies), and never owned Van or Mini-van before, so it maybe the time. Part of me refuse to ride in mini-van (too much of a family car), then another part of me want to try.

Anyway, it's wife's car, so I'll let her decide, but I just want to look knowledgeable to her during this search.....

Thanks for quick response, everyone!

Yoshi

9. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Yoshi,

Try Lexus GX470.

BTW the Sequoia and the 80s Cruiser is a big diff.

ALso how about Land Rover Discovery?

I still say Odyssey will best fit your lifestyle :)

GOod luck, and let us know what you decide.

10. hoffmeister

hoffmeister Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Baghdad...again
    Full Name:
    Jesse
    Durango...I second that. Very nice vehicle with 3rd seat.

11. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I have an '04 Discovery with the 3rd row of seats that I drive when we travel as a family, but mostly my wife drives.

SHE LOVES IT, I HATE IT. It is an underpowered, gas guzzling, rattle trap with very comfortable seats and a decent stereo. 0-60 in about a week, 13 MPG around town.

Third row is good, IF YOU ARE A MIDGET. They fold down, are more like jump seats, good for 1/2 hour of travel. My 6'+ tall sons barely fit. Also, it's hot in the back. If you get the optional back seat A/C it eats up the third row seating area some.

On the upside, it goes like stink in bad weather, 8-10" of snow is no problem.

Fit and finish are typical of a Ford/Brit car, lousy to average. Paint is only so-so, found several trouble areas while polishing it over the weekend.

Would I buy another one - NOPE!! Would my wife - YEP, 'cause none of these little bitty problems seem to bother her. She loves the high view.

Oh, and measure your garage door before you buy. We clear under the door by less than 2".

Good hunting.

12. F328 BobD

F328 BobD Formula 3

Mar 17, 2001
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    BobD
    Hi Yoshi, we've had our Sequoia over 3 years now and love it... seats eight so you can take the neighbors too! :)

dm_n_stuff and lafun2, I just read that Land Rover is dicontinuing the Discovery name in the US. The next gen is supposed to be out later this year and will be called the Land Rover LR3. The Disco name remains for all markets outside of the US.

13. formula1joe

formula1joe Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe Bennett
    Time to buy a limo and let the family ride in style.

14. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    H2 sits 6 with the 3rd SEAT. Great car. My mom loves her, but watch the top of the garage door my moms fits in by less then an inch. with the roof rack on. Also, resale is great for an american car. 1.5 yr. old ones with 20k are still bringing in the $40's. What other american truck only losess 10-15K.
    Erik

15. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Toyota, bulletproof, superb reliability/quality, seats comfortably...just a great car. Not that badly priced considering capacity either! I think TRD has supercharger too:)

16. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    Thanks you all for info!

Never thought Sequoia is this much popular. No wonder many of my friends bought this car. Durango is 2nd place here. I like its front view!

Lafun2, GX470 is very nice, we'll check it out. I didn't know anything about this car! Honda dealers around here don't have Odyssey, so haven't looked at it yet.

dm_n_stuff, I feel the same on wife's car, hahaha. I probably won't drive much anyway, but getting a new car is fun and would like to get some car I can be pleased with. Discover is too small for us. I looked at Discover & Range Rover last year when I ended up w/ ML. Thanks for details.

Teenferrarifun, I also looked at H2 last year & I like it, but not my wife. The car is too tall for my 4 & 6 years old to get in/out. This is another reason she doesn't like Excursion (along w/ gas gazzling $60/week) as she needs to assist them every time they get in/out. It's funny what my wife care. Buying another car cost good amount of money, but reducing $20-30/week for gas makes her feel saving $$. I said "how long will it take to recover, say additional $5-10K spending for this gas saving?" Her response "don't be a jerk". Something you can look forward to (sorry I am assuming you're young!)

formula1Jr. our parking space is too small for limo!!! & our housing area don't allow a car parked on the road for more than 12 hours. Last year, my car had a flat tire, but I was occupied for 2 weeks then we got a fine notice from HOA. The car was in my parking space, but they said by-law states no un-drivable cars in the property unless it is in a garage. I didn't even know they patrol twice a week to see the neighbors are in tact.

17. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    My wife has an H2 and loves it. We have three children ages 6,8 and 10 and have plenty of room for us five and luggage, ect... She has the optional third row seat so it seats six. She also had the spare monted on the back to give even more luggage room. She had a Honda Odyesse prior to the H2, and while she liked it when you had it, she now claims she will never go back to such a small vehicle. The kids love it too.

18. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    Parkerfe, how are you doing? your 512bb? One of my friend in Japan installed steel custom made exhaust for his 512bb, which was made by an individual who's known for his exhausts for F & Lambo. I think he spent over $4000, but very please with it.

Anyway, thanks for info. My wife wants to go smaller from Excursion, but not too small as ML. I liked H2, too, but not my wife...... She's not a car person, and don't like getting attention on what she drives. She actually hates riding 328 w/ me. (she only did once since last June)

It's interesting many of you are SUV fan. Since we never owned a mini-van, but SUV for all those years, a mini-van looks attractive right now. W/ all major options, Sienna goes up to $40K. Do you think it's worth it? (thought mini-vans cost about $30K for the top model, and I was wrong)

19. androza

androza Karting

Nov 4, 2003
  20. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    The Sequoia is popular becuase it has a good V8, which usually was not found on Japanese SUV's previously. It seats a large group, is not $70K, its affordably priced, reliably, will have good resale, and low maintenance, and is a Toyota.

GX is a great car. It shares the platform with the new 4 Runner, and should be a must on the list. THe car is however narrower than the Sequoia.

Yeah when you get a chance check out the Odyssey, great car. You can also look at the MDX Acura, but the 3rd row is rather unuseable if your family consists of tall people. There is a reason Odyssey's are in short supply even after being out for a few years ;)

As far as Durango Vs Seqouia, I think there is no competition. I would buy the one that is more reliable and has better resale value, which in this case is the Toyota. Just my .02 :)

Well most of us are NOT SUV fans. There was a thread about it a while back. We recommended those because of your need to sit 6 people. Personally for me a BMW 540i wagon or E Class wagon is all I need.

As far as 40K for minivan, I dont think its worth it. I say buy the base model, add the features you need (dual a/c, power windows and all that), skip the leather seats and such, and you should be at about 30K or a bit less.

Now if you want to ante up and get all the upgrades of allow wheels and dual color and all the garbage, 40K is where the market is at, sadly.

GOod Luck with your ventures.

21. AK79

AK79 Rookie

Feb 25, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    AK
    Yoshi,

Again to add to the previous posts, from my limited experience, the Sequoia is a good all-rounder; also might want to take a look at the new Infiniti QX56 / Nissan Pathfinder Armada... Similar in most dimensions to the Seqoia or Navigator, but something new on the market.

Regards,

AK

22. TXesprit

TXesprit Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2001
    Southlake
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I'm with Androza on the Vovlo XC90. MY fiancee and I have been shopping for a 6 seater and we were very impressed with the Volvo. In fact, we are planning on putting a deposit down next month. Why a deposit? Because we are doing the European delivery program. You put down a deposit 4 months prior to delivery date and you pay the set invoice price, which is going to save us about $5K. We are getting 2 free roundtrips to Stockholm, 15 days of insurance to drive around Europe, and free delivery back to the US. Not a bad deal, since we were planning on going to Denmark anyway to visit her family. This way we pick out the car we want, drive it around on our vacation, get free flights, and a sweet deal on the price. Worth a look.

23. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Hummmmmmmm, how about a limo? LOL.

24. androza

androza Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Whoa, do all European delivery programs do that? Maybe I'll get an XC90 myself, just to go to Stockholm... oh, and of course as a people mover. Or something.

25. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    Androza & TXepirit, I do also like Volvo XC90. I didn't know they offered the Euro Delivery program. Hope you'll have great honeymoon!!!!! XC90 is almost same size as my ML, and the wife wants something bigger, but not big as Excursion or Suburban.

AK79 & Lafun2, I didn't know Pathfinder/QX56 changed model already! (Armada?) I liked Pathfinder when it was my car in 80's. Thanks for more insights.

Ernie, Limo got 2 votes now!

Thank y'all, I am planning to visit Auto Show tonight, and will take a look at all those cars.

Yoshi