What did you do to your car today? | FerrariChat

What did you do to your car today?

Discussion in '348/355' started by ClydeM, Aug 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    I search and I can't find a thread like this in our forum. Moderators, if I missed it, please merge this one in.

Today I swapped out my power steering reservoir with the BMW equivalent. I found some black foam rubber that went around the unit nicely making it snug with the original bracket.
    Naturally, I dropped a bunch of the washers from the expansion tank & plastic cover in the engine compartment :( 1 more to find.

and of course, some (but little) PS fluid dribbled out and a bit of coolant came out of the hoses. Dang. I'll wash all that off with some distilled water later.

Plain ATF fluid to refill, right? nothing special?

Also took out some of the throttle cable slack. that is so annoying when trying to accelerate smoothly.

2. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    I pulled the passenger seat to continue stripping the leather from a really really ****ty re-dye.

sjd

3. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Yassa likes this.
  4. Buzzl

Buzzl Formula Junior

Finished up the Tubi install

Yassa likes this.
  5. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Did about 240 miles via Wilton super car Sunday event.

Might give the inside a vacuum later!

6. Mmckee

Mmckee Formula 3
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2016
    Alta Loma, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mike
  7. chrisj951

chrisj951 Karting

Feb 18, 2015
    Metro Atlanta
    Getting my windows tinted. Pics to follow.

8. chrisj951

chrisj951 Karting

Feb 18, 2015
    Metro Atlanta
  9. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
  10. audi_328

audi_328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    NH
    Full Name:
    Audi
    Replaced the engine lid struts, so nice to have them working correctly :) New brake lines next...

eyeman1234 likes this.
  11. PeteyP

PeteyP Formula Junior

May 3, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Petey
    eyeman1234 likes this.
  12. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
  13. eyeman1234

eyeman1234 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 25, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
  14. eyeman1234

eyeman1234 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 25, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    Steps: 1 Jescar compound 2 Jescar polish 3 Carpro Essence

e30drifter likes this.
  15. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    The 355 has been sitting and since tomorrow night is a big car show, I thought I'd let the wife drive her there.
    That means time for a detailing. Used P21 paint cleaner & P21 wax.
    Popped up the headlights to get them too and I had the infamous winky headlight issue. Raise & lower them a few times (like a dozen) to flex the motors & contacts seems to have solved the problem.

Question to the crew: I have 3M film (I believe 3M) which is about 5 years old. I have a minor track on it from where I was using my fingernail in a cloth to clean out leftover wax at the junction of paint & film.
    Ooops. I slipped & ended up with a 3" mark in the film. It's not really a scratch as the cottom cloth was in contact with the film. But it did leave a mark. I dont believe it's the self-healing 1080 stuff. I tried a heat gun anyway which I dont think helped a lot. Another pass with paint cleaner didn't help either.
    Any other suggestions?

16. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Replaced the engine struts with the ones from Sachs SG404018. Granted they are not OEM, but they worked well before and at $11 each on Amazon, you can't go wrong.
    No more bumps-on-the-head from a falling lid :)

17. eyeman1234

eyeman1234 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 25, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    My paint protection film installer used 3M One Step Cleaner Wax- the label says "removes light oxidation and fine scratches" for a scratch on my film with success...

18. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    had light paint correction and polish and sealant with blackfire ast week, got all new perfect oem vents with all the tabs new in box and console plate and SNM desrickied them, coils, IAC, selenoid valves, fuel pumps, bonnet hvac heater pump, TPS, new spal fans and toyota pwm controller, ignition modules + new covers all last few weeks.

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

19. eyeman1234

eyeman1234 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 25, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    Got new wheel center caps to replace my old ones. Any way to remove them without destroying them, short of removing every wheel?

20. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Once the wheels are off and the inner seals removed, find a large socket, like 7/8 or so. Attach it to an extension, then use it with a hammer to gently tap them out from the inside into a towel.

eyeman1234 likes this.
  21. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    It hit 60 today in NNJ.
    And I just finished a fluid change on her.
    Redline Oil
    Redline Gear oil (1st time changing it on this car)
    Antifreeze (1st time changing it on this car. The pita was getting the block drain plugs out)
    brake/clutch fluid (1st time changing it on this car: I have ATE Racing blue. the color change makes it easier when bleeding. I was amazed after 5 years how off-color the old amber fluid was) I started with the mityvac, but coaxed the wife into pumping the pedals with a clear tube hooked up. That was way faster

I did clean the K&N air filters...but the gaskets were cracking & kind of melting. Odd really. K&N shipped out 2 new replacements under warranty in 4 days, no problems.

Time to take her out.

308 GTB and kenneyd like this.
  22. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I just did OEM Penz Plat engine oil and Spirax Gear oil (hope it works better than the Amsoil I had) along with new coolant a week ago and last 90 days did fan switches and new radiator fans and thermostat, coils and ignition modules and cam phase sensor and 3 new Solenoid valved, water temp switches, oil pressure sender, thermocouples, O2 sensors and a slew of other bits too numerous to mention including powder coated fuel rails and refurbished injectors and replaced every light bulb in the car. I went back to OEM air filter from K&N. Once I change the fuel pumps and related bits sitting on my bench everything that can go wrong I read about out here will have been replaced proactively and I plan on absolutely ruining the current 12k mile car with miles. :)

How about this central NJ weather!