Difference between Cali T with HS package and Portofino | FerrariChat

Difference between Cali T with HS package and Portofino

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by rocketman, Oct 25, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    Have had several Ferraris before ( Scud, 488 ) and now that I'm getting older I'm looking into buying a gentler kinder open top vehicle with creature comforts.
    I don't drive the car that much (approx 1500 miles/yr) and typically on weekends.

I was going to order a Porto but found 2 very nicely specced low mileage late model Cali T's with Handling Speciale package.
    There is about a $100k difference between this and a new Porto.
    Thoughts on whether it is worth the price difference?

2. Snewton94024

Snewton94024 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2015
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Steve Newton
    I have driven both and can say there is very little difference in performance.
    I own a 2016 T with the upgraded factory exhaust which is the same exhaust as the HS and it is excellent.
    My two cents is to save the $$$ and go with the T HS, buy the extended factory warranty for $5,000+-/year and be a happy camper.

BOKE, boobernackle and schwoo like this.
  3. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I bought a new 2017 Cali T HS and it was a great car. I traded it for a new 2018 488 Spider and then about a week later got to demo the Portofino on the same roads I drove the Cali T HS on. I thought there wasn't a lot of difference but the sound on the Portofino is more like the difference between the 488 and 458 in terms of pitch but the loudness is not much different, maybe a little louder on the Portofino. Overall, I think the Portofino is the better looking car and the interior is better. Is it $100k better? Not sure about that but it would be a good idea to test drive both before making up your mind.

BOKE likes this.
  4. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    Are you saying the Porto has the better higher pitch or the Cali T HS ?

5. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    HS has the higher pitch, not sure I think it's better though, just different. The Porto is a little louder by measure, they claim 2dB which you probably can't actually hear.

6. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    Go for the Cali T HS. Having driven both for quite some time, I actually like the more raw feeling Cali T gives including the slight delay in shifts. It is more fun.

There is not much difference which would justify the cost for Portofino.

7. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    Thanks for the input !

8. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Some observations..

1) Portofino has more responsive engine by maybe I would say 15% - you notice it most on neutral rev.
    2) California THS has a raspy amazing exhaust, probably the best stock Ferrari exhaust I have ever owned.
    3) The California THS has better steering feedback and stiffer suspension.
    4) Portofino has the better tech but some things I am not a fan of with the tech.

Hopefully this helps, full disclosure I already sold my CaliforniaTHS and have an incoming Portofino.

FerrariTexas likes this.
  9. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    thank you !

10. SB27

SB27 Karting

Dec 2, 2015
    I haven't driven the Porto but have a 2016 California T. My thoughts:

+ The design / lines of the California T continue to age well. I think it will be a classic design that never ends up looking wildly outdated. The Porto is an advancement over it in terms of design but to my eye only about a 10-20% improvement (the rear of the Porto is cleaner).

+ I added the HS package and it is wonderful. Buy an HS equipped Cali T if you can find one (it became a popular option). If you don't, no problem -- for about $12k you can add it and the Sport Exhaust. It transforms the car. Much tighter handling, quicker shifting and better sounding.

+ I also added the Capristo Exhaust. It sounds amazing given this is a turbo car.

+ Lastly, and this is a bit unusual, I did go with the Novitec piggyback tune. It is spectacular. The Novitec piggyback system gives the car near 488 power. Basically, the car should have had this all along. It does not make the car feel crazy fast in straight lines but it does dramatically upgrade the throttle response and quickness when driving hard. Again, the car should have had this but was de-tuned to be easier to drive. An amazing upgrade (thanks, Fabspeed).