Things to consider when mounting a 250 E engine | FerrariChat

Things to consider when mounting a 250 E engine

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by christc, Oct 26, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. christc

christc Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2013
    Germany
    Hi All,

I am in the process of mounting my freshly rebuild 250 GTE engine. I have done several demanding engines in the
    past but each engine has its specialities. I thought it might be helpful to collect things to consider when doing a 250 engine. Especially helpful for me at the moment [​IMG]

Things like:
    - two of the locating dowels for the head must be hollow as they act as oil galleries
    - tension of springs in rebuild kits for water pumps might be wrong/ if in doubt try to use old spring
    - timing marks are just for assembly of engine, exact timing must be checked differently using exact opening of inlet/ exhaust of number 6/12 piston according to TDC
    - use 0.5mm stainless sheets to hold o-rings in place when mounting chain case to be able to mount headcovers later
    - check mechanical pump action and make sure that there is no play in actuating lever
    - ????

I am sure you all have your things which should be considered. This sight might be a means to preserve it for others.

Any hint, idea, experience welcomed. Thanks a lot.

Christopher

readplays likes this.
  2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    before put on the exhaust manifolds left side don´t forget to put the water pipe from the rear of the cylinder heads on what is going to the front of the engine otherwise you have to remove the manifolds again

some photos would be great ;)

you already back from padua? found and got your clock? or other nice things?

3. christc

christc Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2013
    Germany
    Dear turbo-joe,

good hint. I am still in Padua and found a original clock for 100€, Spinners and lots more. Was worth the trip. Flying back today.

Thanks
    Christopher

4. christc

christc Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2013
    Germany
    Some more hints:

- don’t forget o-rings at the back of the engine at the end caps. Mount with rtv. This one is coming from Tom Yang. Always helpful and worth visiting his site

A good tip I read in Toms blog is also to check the crankshaft for free turn after mounting of each rod and piston before mounting the crankshaft end seal (simmering in my case after conversion).

Two more:
    - To get the oil pan to seal properly Ferrari used a special paint and I have read about different ways to try to seal it. I had mine vacuum pressure sealed by a company in Germany. This way every tiny crevice is sealed.

- Another one I was told is to use thread seal at the base thread of the head studs.

By the way - the tip about the stainless steel sheets for mounting O-rings way above is from turbo-joe ;-) not me.

Best regards
    Christopher

5. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    have a safe trip home
    how much overweight you carry? :)

when I first did my own ferrari engine in 1976 I wonder how do to put on the valve cover without damaging the O-ring and got this idea and is always working fine. but use a little oil on both sides of this small stainless steel sheet. of course you have to cut out a half circle for the camshaft ;)

6. christc

christc Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2013
    Germany
    Thanks. Lots of parts and weight ;-)
    But it is a delight to carry those parts...

7. christc

christc Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2013
    Germany
    I am sure others must have also good hints?

Thanks
    Christopher

8. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I don´t think there are are lot of special things to know to put the engine in. no magic ;)
    but put the 90 ° angle parts for the distuibuitor on before enigne comes is, otherwise when the engine is inside it is hard to reach all the 6 mm nuts and screws, but even this is possible

9. 365gtfr

365gtfr Karting

Dec 8, 2016
    France
    Hello Christopher. Where did you find spinners ? I'm looking for it (for a 365 gt 2+2)

10. christc

christc Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2013
    Germany
    #10 christc, Oct 29, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
    I found them on Auto Epoca in Padua, a classic car exhibition and market. This way I got them for a reasonable price. You can get new ones from Borrani or GTO Engineering. As you are in France you could get new ones from Münchner Oldtimer Reifen. They have the different types on sale for around 260€ per piece. Hope this helps.

Christopher

365gtfr likes this.
  11. 365gtfr

365gtfr Karting

Dec 8, 2016
    France
    thank you @christc
    I visited Münchner Oldtimer Reifen website but don't found the correct spinners for my car. I have campagnolo wheels and spinners (3 ears) are different than borrani's

12. christc

christc Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2013
    Germany
    Sorry, thought you were speaking of Borrani spinners. Do you have a picture?

13. christc

christc Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2013
    Germany
    Have you tried the usual suspects? Gto, Eurospares, Superformance, Autoricambi Epoca....?
    Picture would help.

14. 365gtfr

365gtfr Karting

Dec 8, 2016
    France
    here is my spinners. Two of them are correct but the 2 others are in bad condition. I don't know if I have to buy new ones or to find a shop to rebuild it properly ?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. christc

christc Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2013
    Germany
    Speak to Vern Lyon at Gto if he has them. They have lots of used parts also. Alternatively speak to Sergio of Auto Ricambi D’Epoca.

P. Coppola might be worth a try as he has lots of used parts, but seems to be always on the high side of prices
    Pasquale Coppola
    Mobile : +39 3478543877

And for sure as always all the guys in the US but the shiping and taxes are on top.

Hope this helps

16. 365gtfr

365gtfr Karting

Dec 8, 2016
    France
    thank you for all your ideas !