458 and 488 price parity... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

458 and 488 price parity...

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by dann0, Oct 25, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    My wife did not appreciate this post as much as I did

jehu999 and IloveGT like this.
  2. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    There are a lot of factors involved, and nothing will replace the fact that you need to get behind the wheel of both before pulling the trigger.

But of your heart is set on the 458... It is nearly fully depreciated and there is always time to buy a turbo or hybrid Ferrari... They’re still making them by the thousands every year. A naturally aspirated V8 revving to 9.000rpm? Gone forever.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

3. dann0

dann0 Karting

May 7, 2010
    Awesome stuff guys thanks. Definitely going to try and spend time in both but... my heart is winning and Nuno you're right... they're making heaps of turbos... i can always reverse the decision in the future if i want.

Melvok and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  4. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    The next question is what options are important on the 458 :)

Which color are you leaning towards?

Ray

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  5. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Thread makes me miss my 458”s

Melvok, tekaefixe, wthensler and 4 others like this.
  6. dann0

dann0 Karting

May 7, 2010
    I have always been a traditionalist - Rosso Corsa, Beige interior. But saw a gunmetal grey with nero interior the other day that looked pretty damn good

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  7. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    You bought three already!! If you buy again, please don't ever sell it!

Melvok likes this.
  8. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I'm not a big fan of red, outside of the F40, but I did see one shade of deeper red on a 458 that looked darn nice. I don't know my red Ferrari colors, but it was very nice. Mine was Grigio Silverstone and I really loved that metallic paint over the lines of the 458 body. You definitely want to compare colors side by side if possible. Also inside vs. outside.

Ray

AlfistaPortoghese and IloveGT like this.
  9. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    You and me both. My previous 458 is actually for sale at my dealership, but I'm not sure I can stomach paying CA sales tax, twice, on the same car...

Ray

veilstylez and Melvok like this.
  10. jomarti1

jomarti1 Karting

Feb 27, 2017
    S. Florida
    I bought my 458 Italia Rosso Scuderia a year ago, and the more I drive it and look at it , the more I like it!!!! It's an amazing piece of Art!!!

FerrariCT, veilstylez, Melvok and 5 others like this.
  11. John Salvador

John Salvador Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2018
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Secret Saver
    I’ve said this before, to me Ferraris are all about drama and emotion. The 488 is more civilized, has better tech and marginally faster than the 458. Which makes it a better car than the 458. The 458 is rawer, better looking , sounds better and is just alive when you are behind the wheel. Which makes it a superior Ferrari.

FerrariCT, Bundy, veilstylez and 9 others like this.
  12. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Very on the mark, with regard to the 458 and how it makes you feel.

This all sort of reminds me of when my friend, who by the way is Italian, announced one day to me that he was thinking about buying a Porsche as his first super car. After explaining to him that I would have to immediately end our friendship if he did that, I further tried to explain to him why waiting and saving up more money (about twice as much) to buy a Ferrari 355 - which I owned at the time - made far more sense.

Him being Italian aside, I tried to sum up both cars in the following manner:

"Think of the Ferrari as being like a wild, exotic woman, that is sexy, beautiful, passionate and exciting. Sure, sometimes she drives you crazy, but she also brings an intangible excitement into your life, that makes you feel alive and that you love and can never get enough of".

Then I tried to sum up my view of him buying a Porsche:

"The Porsche is more like your German housekeeper, whose name is Olga. Olga is far more reliable than your Italian mistress; she cooks, cleans and is always right on time. She's not much to look at, but you can always depend on her. Maybe she doesn't stir your soul or make you feel any more alive, but the house is always spotless and the bathrooms are always perfectly clean".

Okay, so then I asked him, "So who do you want to wake up next to every morning? Olga or the super hot Italian woman?

He replied, "Okay, you are right... I'll keep saving until I can afford the Ferrari"

I said, "Congratulations, we are still friends".

After a little more saving, the day finally came and he bought himself a stunning yellow Ferrari 355. What a great car. To this day (some 20+ years later), he's still one of my closest friends and still a die-hard Ferrari owner.

To me, driving the 488 sure felt a lot like Olga, while the 458 is pure Italian.

Ray

13. DoubleD33

DoubleD33 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2012
    Pasadena, CA / Oahu, HI
    Full Name:
    Dan D
    Re Colors-

I had a TDF Blue 360 with beige interior. When I was in the market for a 458 I started the search for a blue one. I decided I would not look at any other colors but Pozzi, TDF, and pearl white. Then one day by chance I saw a light grey car with a radical contrasting interior.

For me that was a game changer. I started realizing the car was not a 360, had different body lines,(Bianco Fuji 360..wow) and interiors could be radically different in the 458.

My point is look at the car as a whole package in lieu of searching for a specific color as you may find something you did not expect to like. I ended up with grigio silverstone metallic over cuoio.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

wthensler and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  14. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    AlfistaPortoghese and Viper830tt like this.
  15. Viper830tt

Viper830tt Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 10, 2017
    Im set on blue or metallic reds right now. I think the spider needs a metallic color to show off the detail on the rear. I agree that ultimately, you should see the car if possible before commiting because photos cannot replicate the true effect of these paints. What looks good on one car doesnt work on others (i hate white on a 458 but love it on the testarossa). DoubleD nails it with grigio 458 experience.

Id argue the previous analogy... porsche is more balanced... pretty girl from church that your mother wants you to marry. The ferrari is the wild 23 yo that leads to getting home at sunrise and wears clothes that piss off other women. Housekeeper is more toyota i think; hey its a different relationship. I didnt get mine for the looks. :)

Sent from my SM-N920V using FerrariChat.com mobile app

DoubleD33 likes this.
  16. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    No. I would train Olga!

Melvok likes this.
  17. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    #42 MANDALAY, Oct 27, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2019

In Oz you can now get a 20,000km 458 for circa $350K , Really where ??? Maybe a 2010 with more KMs several owners than that, and by the time you are stamp duty add another 30 k. Also not from Ferrari so no extended warrantee.

Cheapest 488 GTB from the dealer is more like 400 k and its a 2016. So no warrantee unless you buy it for another 10 k . You will however have another 2-3 free service.

Then you have to calculate the trade in loss if you have another Ferrari.

Best option is spending 450K on a car < 7,000 kms and a 2017 that has at least 1 year warrantee.

18. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    #43 MANDALAY, Oct 27, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
    I guess the OP has fueled the 458 vs 488 thing again.

But lets put it in perspective Australia is small in volume. There are only a few cars for sale at that price 2 -3 and fact is we drive our cars, so much more KMs than that stated.
    The 488 being newer and many traded in for the Pista is the better deal by far and IMO a better car ( that's my dig ). But again at that price only way to get one is privately but will still be over 400 k.

Also limited colour selection

19. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    the spread between first year 458 coupes and first year 488 coupes is getting much tighter....

20. BLKBLK

BLKBLK Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2011
    True that. I like how all these posts somehow/someways eventually become 458 vs 488. It's silly how far people go to defend their purchase. Your best car is what YOU like, not what someone else likes. You must've done at least some things right in your life if you're in a position choosing between different F cars. So believe in your guts calling, pick one up, then drive it and enjoy it without looking back.

Viperjoe and PA Wolfpacker like this.
  21. dann0

dann0 Karting

May 7, 2010
    A 488 traded here recently for $355k and had 12000kms. A friend of mine is being quoted at $320k for his pista swap... so yes... way less than $400k... and to be honest a lot of disgruntled 488 owners.
    Sent from my SM-N960F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

22. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Yeh traded , now try buying it at that price. What year ? 2016 and then add stamp duty and warrantee. And if you have it as cash why not buy from one of these disgruntled 488 GTB owners ? You save and win don't you ?

23. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

The cheapest 488 GTB for sale right now , add tax and its $395,000. What cars are traded in for don't amount to the same as the selling price. They do want to make a profit. Granted you could negotiate a bit down . If you want 300 k I think you will be buying a high mileage 2016 car of privately which I would never do unless I knew the person.

24. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Triple yellow shows the lines beautifully...mine next to friend’s RC, and AN...

Bundy and Viper830tt like this.
  25. Viper830tt

Viper830tt Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 10, 2017
    Love the triple colors. I remember this from that other relevant thread. Is there a triple blue?

On the original "458 vs 488" topic and as a current shopper, Ive seen a glut in 488s. I can find 1 or 2 458s in a 100 mile radius while there are 3 488s at the local dealer, and 2 are new ones that never sold and are currently offered at a discount. They report that ~5 spiders are lined up for trade for f8s. I was really tempted to go with a 488 because you have so much better selection among other things. With the 458 market you kind of take what you can get.