Finally tested F8 on a track! | Page 11 | FerrariChat

Finally tested F8 on a track!

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Hendry2019, Oct 18, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Texas2step

Texas2step Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2018
    Full Name:
    Bola olusola
    The cost difference between F8 and Pista is more than 75k in the US. A lot of buyers had to buy a Lusso to get an allocation and lose about 100k on the Lusso. So even With higher Depreciation of the F8 it will be a wash eventually. Having said that I would pick a Pista over the F8 but not willing to buy a Lusso first nor pay 50 to 75 K over MSRP which is the current resale range at most F dealership. Under these circumstances the F8 is good buy for those who don’t care about sound. All non limited Ferrari’s depreciate. We all know buying a Ferrari is a terrible investment strategy.

MalibuGuy likes this.
  2. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Msrp, nothing else required.

3. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Even at 200 over Pista would be a better deal given the depreciation in store for F8.

4. Texas2step

Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2018
    Full Name:
    Bola olusola
    Since I can’t predict the future. I will consider this as speculation so time will tell.

5. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I don't know about that particular comparison but 200 over on a Pista is Nutsa!

Dicecal and BOKE like this.
  6. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    One need only refer to gtb to see whats in store, a crystal ball not required.

And to say one looks better than the other is subjective.

At least with Pista anyone can easily tell the difference when they drive it, and they wont find it dull as a special car especially at this pricepoint.

True but then paying so much more for a car with little to no discernible difference between the outgoing model, a car which is destined for the same level of depreciation, is equally nutsa!

7. Hendry2019

Hendry2019 Karting

Jan 2, 2019
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Hendry
    Thank you for your intervention and the clear rules for members to follow. Sometime it gets tense due to many reasons, so it is a good way to be reminded about these rules which made this forum #1 in world for F Cars Owners

Regards

8. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Pista wins in the superficial drama department, there is no contest.
    Then it depends on what one values - it's definitely not what I look for in a car (although I have nothing against it).
    Regarding depreciation, the long term results remain to be seen - the Pista had a high price from the start, so it's different from the Speciale / 458 situation. And in addition, the Speciale is more impacted by mileage than the Italia, so for people wanting to use their car rather than showing it the Pista may not be the best choice.
    Many argue that in the end the used 488 will be priced like used Italia, just do the math if a used Pista ends up priced like a used Speciale.
    Besides, I may keep the F8 forever, so depreciation would be irrelevant ;)
    But to be clear, I like the Pista, I would have taken one without hesitation at a 10% lower price - I just think it's not enough value for money (this obviously is influenced by what I personnally value).

Dicecal likes this.
  9. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    200 USD or 200 Aus dollar?

10. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    Nah, you are not gonna keep the car forever. We the car nuts rarely do. Wink wink

11. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    There is. You spent all the money on the cars alone. No money left over for the mistress, and therefore all the sexual energy must be spent on the wife!!

It's simple. There is a reason for wife to worry about the husband has too much free money on hands.

tomc likes this.
  12. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I agree if you want a more common car, one in which you can daily drive the F8 is a better choice. If you want something more special and turned up to 11 then the Pista is the easy choice. There are choices for everyone.

13. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    I wouldn't disagree with that.

The thing is that everyone has his/her own definition of excitement. I have found that some people like a hard suspension, just for the sake of bouncing about, which is technically an undesirable characteristic. Some others like the exterior sound, like it matters when you are driving a car...

Case in point...

I care about how a car feels and reacts to my inputs, not about what the others hear outside the car.

14. Texas2step

Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2018
    Full Name:
    Bola olusola
    Totally agree with you RZ. Sometimes some forget that there are different strokes for different folks.

REALZEUS likes this.
  15. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    You are right. Since my Fcar is a daily driver that is how I view the cars.

Gh21631 and italiafan like this.
  16. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I am looking for a DD now, maybe an F12. I do need room for 2 sets of clubs and the F12 may just work.

17. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    C8 too 'common' for you ?;)

I think it wins the common sense battle...

18. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    There's more to the outside sound than just impressing onlookers.

There are for example some great roads not too far from here, that winds through a hilly forest area. A marvellous fun place tl drive without too much traffic where a car can get a proper flogging. Driving a 488 Spider through there with open exhaust is great, as you get the reverb from the bangs of the exhaust reflected back into the car, as well as the ambient reverb of the engine. Makes it sound like hunting season is in, and the echo of the engine note makes it sound more alive.
    It's the difference between hearing a great piece of music played loud through a pair of headphones and a large pair of high end speakers that can really fill the room. One is a physical and ambient experience, the other is not.

For me the outside sound has a significant effect on the experience, as the outside sound is what enters the cabin.

Hendry2019, Surfah, Napoli and 5 others like this.
  19. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Would it matter?

So Pista is poor value but F8 is good value? I'm not sure if I follow.

20. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Value for money, so the price is a factor in the equation. Pista is 32% more expensive than the F8 here in France, and even considering the famous law of diminished return, for me it's too much (actually when I considered the Pista, the F8 did not exist so that the reference was the 488 and the Pista was - considering contemporary list prices - 40% more expensive; on the other hand at 7% more than the 488, the F8 price is acceptable for me).

21. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Since when did the price of a special super car make any sense?

22. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    It always did, very few people would buy a Pista if the price would be the same as the price of an F12 tdf (or an F40).
    Then there is a part of personal appreciation of course, there is no universal assessment.

23. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    So where is the better value for money in an F8? I'm intrigued.

24. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Value for money is "value" divided by "price" - so considering the "value" (as I evaluate it) of the F8 is slightly lower than the "value" of the Pista, and the price of the F8 is significantly lower, the ratio value/price is better for the F8.
    Let's say value of F8 is 9, value of Pista is 10, price of F8 is 100, price of Pista is 132.
    Value for money of F8: 9/100 =0.09
    Value for money of Pista: 10/132 = 0.076
    0.076 < 0.09
    One may argue this seems like a mathematical assessment that cannot capture the emotion and complexity of evaluating a supercar, but I do not agree with that - all the factors could be included in the value, meaning that the value is not an absolute number, it depends on what one actually values.
    For instance I may think that an F8 has only 10% less value than a Pista, because the main difference is only its lower weight.
    But you can think that an F8 has 50% less value than a Pista, because the exclusivity and more radical definition of the Pista are more important for you - then our own calculations (with 5 as value for the F8) would provide a lower value for money for the F8, at 0.05.

25. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #275 Shadowfax, Oct 28, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
    OK. I get there is a quite lot of emphasis being paced upon value here but for me the driving experience is what these cars are really all about. Exclusivity factor and posing off at cars and coffee isn't of any value to me personally but I have to admit the thought that I can at least get out of this car when I want to and still keep my shirt is definitely a bonus.....well as a thought anyway. Now whether or not that fanciful thought ever materializes is one thing, but if I end up taking a hit it wouldn't surprise me, so for now it comes down to the car being able to convince me and thankfully so far it does.