355 CV Boots | FerrariChat

355 CV Boots

Discussion in '348/355' started by Beetle, Oct 22, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    Hello all. Quick question for the brains trust.
    Can I remove the the cv joint without suspension disassembly? I have a small split in one off the boots. I'm hoping to just remove wheel and wheel house and undo the cv joint and slide out, Replace boots/grease and re-install.
    THIA.

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    "How to" video here, Paul:

Looks like a messy job requiring lots of tools, rags and cleaning products.

phrogs and Beetle like this.
  3. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    Thank you for that. It hasn't made to much of a mess on the car that's the main thing

4. zstyle

zstyle Formula Junior

Jun 28, 2007
    Fountain Hills
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Really depends which side you are trying to replace.

There is a snap ring on the Diff side which would need to be removed prior to removing the joint.

You would likely be doing the same amount of work trying to keep the axle in the car rather than unbolting the top knuckle bolt, lower shock bolt, and stub axle nut. It is not much work and allow you to do a proper job.

BTW, the boots are the cheapest item to replace. Since one is already torn, the other one will soon need to be replaced. Better to replace both now and be done with the job for the next ten years.

5. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    You can but I want to say I ended up taking out the cats to give me more room.

I did take out my shafts to replace the Boots. The nut on the shaft holding it to the spindle was a bear on one of mine.

I did not disassemble the suspension in any way.

6. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    No. You have to undo the knuckle from the upper A arm, undo the shock lower mount, undo the axle nut, remove the caliper and rotor, and then maneuver the CV axle out of the car to the bench.

Beetle likes this.
  7. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Aero boots