Patek Philippe - the basics of building a great collection | Page 17 | FerrariChat

Patek Philippe - the basics of building a great collection

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by roma1280, May 11, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Thank you, I think it's the solid start of a Patek collection. :) Okay so how do I break that one to the wife? :D:eek:

I feel a deep satisfaction that is difficult to explain to "non-watch guys" - really it's the same as with people who don't care about cars... my wife was asking the other day just what *was* it about a watch that I cared about. It is hard to express sometimes. I suppose for a man it encompasses being jewelry, part of a mechanical fascination, an expression of personal style and on a base level a signal of socioeconomic status (or aspiration).

Sitting here basking in endorphins from a sense of personal accomplishment, it is kind of amusing to think that despite its significant cost relative to other watches, jewelry and [most] automobiles, it is still an 'entry' watch in the Patek world. My young banker saw it and was asking typical questions about cost and "Why!?" I was like look this doesn't make sense if you don't love watches... and then when I said this was their simplest set of watches and that they go up from there it rocked his native Idahoan world. :D I showed him some complications and Grandmaster Chime on IG.

ronfrohock, italiafan, BOKE and 2 others like this.
  2. poljav

poljav F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Pol J.
    After twenty years of marriage and from the first high-end watch, at that time, Tag-Heuer, my wife has stop asking. Actually been able to have her participate in some hunts from time to time. I think its more of, I've worn her down and she's given up/in more than understanding or taken an interest tho. :) Congrats on the PP.

ryalex likes this.
  3. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Thanks! Yes, exactly. With cars, too.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2009/dec/14/men-wristwatches

4. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Curious what’s the going rate now?
    Love my 5990 but really think the Nautilus bubble may pop soon.

Sent from my 16M

5. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    Not sure but I can recommend a guy who is a principal at WatchBox who will show you a firm bid if you are interested. No affiliation but I do do business with him.

plastique999 likes this.
  6. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    He just showed me a good price on my sealed Tiffany branded 5167 /1a aquanaut which I am thinking of selling

7. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Used they're going to be low to high 80s. I have a customer who bought a 5980 last year and they shot up but the market has softened up on everything in the last few months.

plastique999 likes this.
  8. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    Maybe I’m odd but I spend time thinking about what would be the best 2 item collection of cars, watches, art etc.
    Here is a suggestion for a two watch collection.
    Thoughts?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Classic precious metal complicated art watch, and stainless sport...perfect combo.
    I approve.
    :)

roma1280 likes this.
  10. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    got to see the 5370p in the flesh today - pics dont do it justice! i think the 5370p and 5970g wld be my dynamic duo!!

roma1280 likes this.
  11. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    pilotoCS likes this.
  12. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    @roma1280 I think you need to get a Celestial....so we can look at it here. :)

13. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    I honestly don’t like the celestial 5102g, I find the dual metal case unattractive, the proportions (wide and thin) awkward and as fascinated as I am with celestial bodies I find the complication gimmicky. I don’t recommend it as an investment piece and the fact that it can be found for under $200k in as new condition when it has a $312k list price would seem to imply that other collectors agree.
    Should anyone here own it I would marvel at the three sapphire crystals and say good for you. It’s just not for me.

italiafan likes this.
  14. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    italiafan likes this.
  15. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Okay, friends...I need an intervention!
    Give me your honesty...I mean honesty..we ar all in similar boats with our passions.
    I recently bought a 5205G-013 Annual Calendar with blue dial and love it. AD called and said they have an arrival I also love, and didn’t think this would be an option for a couple years but here it is...but very similar watch...and I am sorely tempted.The Annual Calendar 5905R, rose gold with brown sunburst dial and chronograph...pix below.
    Are they too similar, am I being too redundant? The rose gold 5905 is more substantial at 42mm and about 14mm height...more wrist presence. Almost the same as 5205 except for size, and moon phase vs. chronograph..but I love both...and ultimately it isn’t going to come down to money...just feeling very conflicted with another purchase so soon.

16. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    Go for it. They are so different and I love all cronos. Brown and gold combo retro and stunning.

17. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    It’s a tremendous watch, but I agree with you. It needs the second rectangle pusher on the lower side for balance... particularly with the crown pusher bringing additional heft to that side of the case.

roma1280 likes this.
  18. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    What is the other purchase? That may effect the suggestion RE the 5905.

As far as redundancy goes, if funds aren’t a concern and you like it then what difference does it make that it’s similar to another watch you own. Of course I’m not good for advice here seeing as how I own 8 “different” submariners. When it comes to watches the nuisances make all the difference!

roma1280 likes this.
  19. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith

This is the 5205G I just purchased in October. I think it is gorgeous. I actually like it better than my Nautilus 5726-1a AC.
    Just feeling like I’m being too frenetic purchasing such a similar watch right on the heels of this one...almost like I am cheating on it; not giving it “it’s time.” LOL :D Crazy, I know.
    I have also been contemplating a Ulysse Nardin skeleton tourbillon just for it’s unique beauty....different.
    But the Patek AD just threw me a curveball. :)

Attached Files:

Roman456 likes this.
  20. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    The brown and gold are indeed stunning next to each other, pure class!

roma1280 likes this.
  21. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    The 5205g is so gorgeous and such presence on the wrist.

22. Morgan72301

Morgan72301 Karting

Aug 12, 2017
    Massachusetts

Anyone know what model this is? I realize it’s not the best pic but it’s all I have to go on. TIA

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Modulo_B likes this.
  23. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    It’s a knock-off, Patek doesn’t do an exposed tourbillion.

Carrerarsr, Morgan72301 and poljav like this.
  24. cwilson13

cwilson13 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 20, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    CWilson
    ..look at the size of that screw-head popping out of the 5 o’clock lug ;)

Morgan72301 and roma1280 like this.
  25. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    Most of the time I’m not conscious of the watch on my wrist but occasionally I will catch a glimpse of a watch that I love and just be like “wow what a gorgeous watch”. I had one such moment this morning. Patek 5712.

Ds599, ronfrohock, C50 and 4 others like this.