Buying a Ferrari 550 | FerrariChat

Buying a Ferrari 550

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by FilipZg, Oct 26, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FilipZg

FilipZg Rookie

Oct 17, 2019
    Zagreb
    Full Name:
    Filip
    Hi,
    I am looking to buy 550. I found one 68k with full beige interior ( seats, steering wheel, dasboard ). I would like to know, if anybody knows how many of them was made like that. Because i see most of them always have black steering wheel. Interior on this one looks like new so I am just curious did it came like that originally. VIN: ZFFZR49B000108406

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Filip- Welcome to FChat. Beige steering wheels and dash were factory options and beige was one of the standard interior colors for the 550. Ferrari has never made public the numbers of each option that were fitted to their cars of this vintage. Someone who keeps a private data base may be able to give you a rough estimate, but that would be about as good as you could do.

Here is a UK option list for the 550 showing all the Scaglietti options. Should be the same for your B VIN Euro model.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. FilipZg

FilipZg Rookie

Oct 17, 2019
    Zagreb
    Full Name:
    Filip
    Thanks for this info. I found two 550 one is 68k km and beige interior I like and second is 35k km but with full black interior I am not a fan of in Ferrari. Only 5 k difference in price so I am thinking is it better to take low mileage one because of the future value or the one which is better looking in my opinion...

4. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Filip- Your money, your choice. Lower mileage is usually easier to resell.

5. thphon

thphon Rookie

Oct 9, 2019
    Full Name:
    Leonardo Arias
    What would be the price of a 550 with over 60k miles taken care of and 6 speed?
    I'm not finding cars available and I wonder if it's way more expensive than a 456 6 speed (I guess so but no idea how much more)

6. FilipZg

FilipZg Rookie

Oct 17, 2019
    Zagreb
    Full Name:
    Filip
    This one i am looking has 69k but km not miles. They are asking 72500€

7. Jon Von Bon

Jon Von Bon Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 8, 2015
    Toronto / Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Buy the one you like. Miles matter little. Put a ton on yourself and enjoy.
    Your wife will enjoy the outcome as mine does.

I get a UUUGE boner every time I drive my 550.

(Disclaimer, I’ve been drinking tonight as I had an event to go to).

F456M, FilipZg and Tarek307 like this.
  8. FilipZg

FilipZg Rookie

Oct 17, 2019
    Zagreb
    Full Name:
    Filip
    I was thinking the same. Don't want to be slave to how much miles did I made or how much does car have. Car will drive same with 40 or 80 k if its well maintained.

F456M likes this.
  9. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Leonardo- All the 550s have three pedals and 6 speeds. F1 was not available until the 575M and only the 456 and 456M were available with automatics.

10. thphon

thphon Rookie

Oct 9, 2019
    Full Name:
    Leonardo Arias
    oops didn't realize it, thanks for the answer

11. thphon

thphon Rookie

Oct 9, 2019
    Full Name:
    Leonardo Arias
    I didn't know that, I thought the F1 was an option, good to know it's not the case.
    Thanks!

12. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #12 ferraridriver, Oct 28, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
    However in the 550's dashboard warning lights there is a warning light for F1 gearbox failure and relay "S" which is for" F1 Gearbox control ECU".

The warning light has no bulb and the "S" relay has no connection to the car's wiring harness.

F456M likes this.
  13. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp

14. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    Right !!!!

15. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Dave- They did one or two prototype 550s with F1 similar to the set-up on the late F355s, but decided to wait for the 575M and its digital throttle before implementing F1 on the Maranello. Those one or two prototypes were likely returned to 3 pedals, brought up to production standards, and sold at a discount through a favored Italian dealer. Here is a really poor photo of an F1 550 prototype. Need to run down the original source of this image.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. Jon Von Bon

Jon Von Bon Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 8, 2015
    Toronto / Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Gosh!!! What I wouldn’t give for that car....

17. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Jeff- All the preproduction 575Ms, 123761, 123764, and 123765 were treated that way. So I assume the 550 prototypes were too. Normally, they are indistinguishable from production models after going back through the assembly line, except for very early serial numbers. One of the three 575M prototypes did get a new engine and new assembly number.

Ferrari was not about to throw away a Maranello that could bring them hard cash.

F456M and Jon Von Bon like this.
  18. haroonok

haroonok Formula 3

Sep 5, 2007
    england
    Full Name:
    haroon
    Taz,the image above was from CAR magazine in either 1996 or 97.

19. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Haroon- Thanks, that one I have not had access to since I left the UK the last time in 1991. 1997 is when the 355 F1 was introduced, so the timing would be about right.

20. haroonok

haroonok Formula 3

Sep 5, 2007
    england
    Full Name:
    haroon
    Not sure if i still have it in my “collection” but i remember it like it was yesterday...!

21. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Yes that image was from my CAR magazine collection on the 550, I remember posting it in a similar thread a few years back when Taz was similarly enlightening new posters on the 550. I will try and find the article when I am back in the UK. In 1995-6 the word being leaked to journalists by Maranello was that the 550 would get a F1 a couple of years into production, like the 355 did, but it never happened, instead waited til the 575. No idea why.

22. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Darius- I think it was because of the electronic throttle due in the 575M. Made it a whole lot easier to implement. The relatively torqueless 355 was probably ok with limited rev matching due to lack of throttle authority, but it may have been much easier to feel in the 550's big, torquey V12.

23. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I would say out of personal taste and perception that a unusual spec’ed 550 is more attractive than a «normal» one. The more odd and crazy it is, the better.... Good luck on your new car. And since you live in Europe, you can go fast on the Autobahn. A great experience when it sprints past 300 kph. and doesn’t stop until you see 325 or so.

24. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    FilipZg likes this.