599 Fuel pump | FerrariChat

599 Fuel pump

Discussion in '612/599' started by HK Mondial, Sep 27, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. HK Mondial

HK Mondial Karting

Mar 12, 2007
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Mark M.
    Did anyone ever find a suitable fix / replacement for the fuel pumps that crack ( plastic top ?) and leak / give off fumes within the cabin of the 599/612 ?
    Replacing the originals with new OEM parts only delays the problem coming back.
    I thought I read somewhere here that a member had engineered a fix, or was it that Ferrari re-engineered the original part to eliminate the problem.

Considering the potential damage to the vehicle, not to mention life threatening possibilities of what is basically a design flaw, I would've thought it would have been a priority.
    Were they ever subject to a vehicle recall because of this ?

FERR430dxb likes this.
  2. FERR430dxb

FERR430dxb Rookie

May 10, 2016
  3. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    So is your 599 fuel pump leaking? I have seen this twice lately and both were people with few posts questioning this alleged issue. I haven't seen any recent threads mentioning this; in fact the most recent was 9 years ago. Yes, it is a known issue on the 360 but I haven't seen it on the 599/612 forums.

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    On the 575M, the pump covers cracked, just like they did on the 456s and 550. Ferrari updated the covers on the latest 575 fuel pumps with a different color plastic.

Call Daniel at Ricambi and ask him about the 599 fuel pumps. He will know or be able to find the answer.

5. Modena_2003

Modena_2003 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2008
    Saudi.Arabia / London
    Full Name:
    Moe Al-Bayat
    I had this issue with my previous Ferrari’s! My old 360 had it but it was a recall at that time. Also my old 599 had it but it was fixed by warranty, and yesterday I noticed that the 612 might have the same issue! Any idea how much it would cost to replace it in the 612?

6. HK Mondial

HK Mondial Karting

Mar 12, 2007
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Mark M.
    Well, as to the "alleged" leaking fuel pumps ( I have had both leak) . I don't know whether the fact that I haven't had many posts is significant or not, but I can tell you on that my 2008 599, I have replaced both (at different times as both weren't readily available when the first one started leaking and filling my car & garage with fumes.) . As mentioned by Taz the problem is that the plastic in the top cracks (same as 575 etc apparently) where the fuel exits the pump headed for the engine. I did not put the original post up for any other reason than the one stated - I'm hoping that there is another pump I can use if the new ones have the same problem in a few years. I may not post regularly, but I greatly appreciate the combined wisdom & advice this forum provides. It has helped me with issues with my 355, 456M, Mondial cab & 599GTB. I do post when I can help with problems I have managed to find solution for ( rebuilding 599 shocks etc)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. FERR430dxb

FERR430dxb Rookie

May 10, 2016
  8. Makuono

Makuono Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2014
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    I had exactly the same problem on my 612.

The first pump started leaking in 2016 and was replaced by the dealer (car was about 16.000km). They insisted it was abnormal so there was the need to replace only the pump that was leaking. Unfortunately,, as we now know, this problem is frequent . About one year later the smell and fumes restarted...from the other pump.

Today I have two new fuel pumps on the car. I observed the plastic is different on these pumps, since instead of white plastic covers (as the initial pumps had), these new pumps have yellow tops.

Let's hope the problem is solved since it was VERY disturbing to see the fuel pumps leaking pressurised fuel in the compartment (behind the boot space) above the exhaust mufflers. Ouch!!

9. Patrnflyr

Patrnflyr Karting

Jan 23, 2012
    Lubbock, TX
    My 599 is in the shop right now for cracks in the fuel pump "mounts" after we smelled gas in the car a few months ago. It was really strong so we had a flat bed come and pick it up out of our garage and deliver it to Norwood's. James says it's relative common to see this in our age model and is possibly due to the ethanol that is now in our fuel.

Makuono likes this.
  10. Makuono

Makuono Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2014
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    This might be a strong reason since my car has developed the leaks after I relocated it, thus changing fuel.

Seeing the frequency of this problem, the position of the fuel pumps and its price, its probably a good idea to monitor and possibly change both fuel pumps for clear of mind. Fuel pumps are inexpensive if looking at the car's value.

11. Modena_2003

Modena_2003 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2008
    Saudi.Arabia / London
    Full Name:
    Moe Al-Bayat
    Just had mine done at the dealership. Same model and mileage! Had to change both.

FERR430dxb and Makuono like this.
  12. Potenza430

Potenza430 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 26, 2012
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bill
    How much does it cost for both?
    Thanks

13. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    My understanding is they have improved that cap to the pump. I had one replaced on my 612 OTO a couple years ago and so far so good.

Here's a pic of the fuel squirting out, yikes! Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. Modena_2003

Modena_2003 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2008
    Saudi.Arabia / London
    Full Name:
    Moe Al-Bayat
    It costed me $2,560 for both at Ferrari dealership in Bahrain.

15. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Lots of labor and the pumps are not cheap, either. I only swapped out one, but in hindsight I should have done both since most of the labor was already done.

Makuono likes this.
  16. Patrnflyr

Patrnflyr Karting

Jan 23, 2012
    Lubbock, TX
    Mine was $1755 at Norwoods Italia in DFW. Performed over the last month. Both pump mounts

17. FERR430dxb

FERR430dxb Rookie

May 10, 2016
    Mine was $2100 with transportation of the car.

18. Potenza430

Potenza430 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 26, 2012
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Thanks for sharing the cost!

FERR430dxb likes this.
  19. Samuel Misrasi

Samuel Misrasi Karting

Jun 7, 2019
    Clinton, Utah
    Full Name:
    Samuel Misrasi
    Wow! You guys are paying a lot for a cheap and easy repair.

I just did mine in my 599. Both were leaking. Leaking a LOT, I should add. This really should have been a recall from Ferrari. Brand new Ferrari pumps cost me $400 for the pair, and I did the swap in about an hour with very basic hand tools. The pumps are right under the tray behind the seats. They’re super easy to do.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

brogenville likes this.
  20. Samuel Misrasi

Samuel Misrasi Karting

Jun 7, 2019
    Clinton, Utah
    Full Name:
    Samuel Misrasi
    flat_plane_eddie likes this.
  21. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
  22. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Ferrari learned a lot on the 599. Things like you need to change the F1 fluid every three years and that the fuel pumps will likely leak, so might as well make them accessible.

23. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    That was thoughtful of them :rolleyes:

24. gsholz

gsholz Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2006
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Are the new pumps a better design or will it happen again?

25. Patrnflyr

Patrnflyr Karting

Jan 23, 2012
    Lubbock, TX
    I was told it was a new design and shouldn’t be a major problem any more