Vettel has a point about crappy trophies | FerrariChat

Vettel has a point about crappy trophies

Discussion in 'F1' started by TheMayor, Oct 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I can’t post what he actually said as it would get banned but he’s right about the F1 trophy designs lately. Too much corporate influence in the designs from the race sponsors.

Makes the award cheap instead of heroic. .

Agent Smith, william and NeuroBeaker like this.
  2. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Have you seen the French GP "trophy" ?

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  3. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Hahaha! Heineken star. F that.

4. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    The French gorilla trophies from a year or two ago were the worst.

5. Nortonious likes this.
  6. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    #6 NeuroBeaker, Oct 28, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
    I get that it was an amalgamation of the circuit's gorilla mascot and the French flag, but I don't understand why the circuit's mascot is a gorilla and why someone thought it'd make an appealing trophy.

Kinda like the Pontiac Aztek... somehow they talked themselves into it, but nobody looked at the finalized design and asked: "Uh... hang on a minute, is this really what we want?"

All the best,
    Andrew.

TurboFreak650 and amerikalei like this.
  7. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    Agreed.

8. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    TurboFreak650 likes this.
  9. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    TurboFreak650, PerKr and 375+ like this.
  10. amerikalei

amerikalei Karting

May 23, 2011
    I think the Heineken ones were a repeat from an earlier race. Also, the Johnnie Walker ones this year were crap looking. Seeing these guys holding this junk after all the effort that goes into achieving a podium seems to cheapen the experience.

I was thinking about the "modern marketing ruins everything" aspect of the MW branding on the Ferrari's this weekend after enjoying Joe's fabulous pre-race detail photos here on F'chat. Ferrari has one of the best liveries, in many ways because it is consistent and clean. I've loved it since childhood. The MW just distracts, for an entity I do not care about. I was thinking if Enzo were still around, he'd clean the cars up, race them rosso with the crest (and a few parts suppliers, plus maybe AGIP or Shell...), and sell maybe 500 magnificently expensive cars a year to pay for the racing program just to thumb his nose at the world. Or at least that was my dream...

Seems like F1 should just have a backup "silver cup" that could be rolled out for the races where there are no better ideas then enlarging a sponsor logo that looks like it belongs in a convenience store display stand...

11. ATBNM3

ATBNM3 Formula 3

Nov 17, 2003
    Sunny Isles
    Full Name:
    Don Jackson II
    I kinda like the Gorilla... but overall they're getting more interesting

12. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    First thing that came to my mind when I read the headline.

My personal favorite trophy: The lovely "urns" from Budapest.

13. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
  14. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    william and Nortonious like this.
  15. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

I feel for Seb. Its trophies he is worried about now that he is a non factor in the series.....again. They could stop the trophy all together and it does not matter. There should be 1 for winning the WDC and you place the name on it. Reduces petty complaining and stops constant Corporate invasion of small useless things.

16. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    I don´t like the sponsorized trophies either but as you can see with the gorilla or the cardboard cups of Barcelona, freedom of choice and good taste not always go together so I suppose Vettel will have to live with it.

17. Banzai!

Banzai! Karting

Mar 1, 2013
    I doubt Seb's complaint is due to any personal reasons. All of todays current drivers have received trophy's since they were karting. This is supposed to be the pinnacle of racing. Hundreds of millions of dollars are spent chasing the quest, and to receive a cheesy, cinchy piece of plastic would twist my bits too. It's kind of disgraceful, especially when you see the quality and craftsmanship of what used to be handed out. Will corporate Ferrari or Mercedes be proud to display some of todays prizes next to those of the past? Kudo's to Seb to have the balls to say something about it and call them out.

stavura, fil and william like this.
  18. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I agree.
    I think the FIA that likes to legislate on everything, should impose some standards when it comes to trophies.
    It's absolutely disgraceful what some organisers give as momentoes to GP winners these days.

SimCity3 likes this.
  19. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Cheap and garish trophies sort of match the series they represent.

20. DF1

Trophies lol. They are not required for each race at all. Needless. They offer nothing and change nothing. A winners trophy for the WDC and WCC-- nothing else.

21. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Not everyone who reaches the podium are in the hunt for WDC. So nice to have individual race trophies for all those guys who only see the podium a handful of times during their career.

william likes this.
  22. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

+1

Works well enough for football. Imagine a trophy for each game throughout the season !

23. DF1

This is my point. The effort is for a title on 2 avenue's. Not trophy counting.

24. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

With so many races on the calendar, the importance of winning a GP has been devalued. Hence you comment, I guess.
    In the 50s, there were only 5 or 6 GPs per year, soon we will be talking about 22 !
    A GP win in the early days used to be something huge, and the driver a hero ; nowadays it's very common.
    Now, it's winning championship that matters, when before each GP was a stand alone event, just like the Indy 500.
    But I still think it's nice to give and receive a nice trophy to commemorate the event.

25. DF1

2 trophies but bonus money for the hard working team members lol )