What Ferrari Could i be looking at ?? | FerrariChat

What Ferrari Could i be looking at ??

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Blonby1970, Oct 29, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Blonby1970

Blonby1970 Rookie

Feb 16, 2013
    For years growing up as a child i have always loved the looks of a Ferrari however i was also always told for years that they are a rich man's car and that they are not something that's practical so your better off getting your self a corvette. My 40th bday came and went and so has my 50th however the dream is still there.
    My question to you all is what year and model convertible could i guy like myself get that would not cost me a 100,000 ??

Are they practical ? Have been told for years that are street here in the United States are not for them and that the maintenance on them is horrendous making it so that the average guy could not afford one if he wanted to any way. One of my favorites is like a 1996 355 spyder but again i have been told that car has a serious manifold issue which is costly along with many other maintenance issues. Are these cars meant for just being parked in the garage and driven 500 miles a year ?

Please let me know your thoughts and opinions and should i just let the dream go ?
    What model and year would you consider?

Thanks

2. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Gosh don't let your dreams go! If you like the 355 Spider what about the 2004 360 gated Spider just listed here:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/2004-ferrari-360-spider-gated-6-speed-priced-to-sell.611590/

or an earlier F1 360 Spider or Modena starting at $60k w/29k miles on cars.com
    All cars have their own set of issues it is just that Fcar issues cost a bit more to deal with. Just be sure to get the best car (from the PPI you get) and keep some $$$ cash in reserve to deal with the issues which come up after purchase - as there always are some, there are no perfect used cars.

VAF84 and 308 milano like this.
  3. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    agree with randy. get a 360/430 and rest easy.

VAF84, Mikestradale, BOKE and 2 others like this.
  4. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Read some of the many similar threads here over the years and also (having had it suggested) spend some time reading the (for example) 360 section including especially the buyers guide to get a real view rather than hearsay - then look at any other section relating to models whose style floats your boat (after all for whom are you buying it ?)

Typical previous thread https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/150k-budget-wtb.605578/

5. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak

That Nero on sale here looks beautiful.... great recommendation..

6. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I’ve had most of the models since those from 1994 onwards, and a few older too. If it were me, a nice F430, f1 or manual, would be a great option. Well sorted, great handling, sounds awesome, and maintenance very reasonable. I never ever had an issue across several, and it’s chain driven, not a belt, so no big expenses for new belts every few years.

VAF84 and ross like this.
  7. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    f430 is great choice for the $100k mark. but how can you dream of a ferrari your whole life and not know which one to get or what the maintenance is like, etc.?

Julia and arizonaitalian like this.
  8. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I would go for a 360 convertible if I were in your shoes.
    Save the cost difference from the 430 and use it for maintenance and repair. Should be pretty reliable.

:D
    BT

9. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    agree if the 360 is stick. if 360 is f1 go for 430 f1

Mikestradale, BOKE and arizonaitalian like this.
  10. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    355/360/430! If it was me, I’d go 360 gated. They are great value in the UK at the moment anyway.

like any car, they are best driven. Lots of examples/ people with mileage well north of 100,000 miles.

Your only here for a short time; enjoy it! And personally nothing gives me more pleasure than putting miles on my car!

arizonaitalian likes this.
  11. Blonby1970

Blonby1970 Rookie

Feb 16, 2013
    I mentioned I have always loved Ferrari's ( In General ) all of them however a model that has generally caught my attention is the mid 90's f355 spyder's I love the looks of them. In regards to Maintenance well how will i know for sure what all that consist of if I have never own one......

daytona355 likes this.
  12. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    i guess i thought the maintenance on 355 was fairly well known. i saw one in person for the first time a few weeks ago and they are stunning. i wouldn't be surprised if they go up in value soon

13. Blonby1970

Blonby1970 Rookie

Feb 16, 2013
    They are indeed a beautiful car....

14. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    cant go too far wrong with a 430 that has some miles on it.
    dont pay up for a garage queen

15. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    360 coupe (berlinetta) 6 speed. Best bang for the buck true exotic on the market right now. However, they are difficult to find in decent shape. If you are willing to do a bit of restoring work..the cars are overall pretty solid machines.

daytona355 and arizonaitalian like this.
  16. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    #16 arizonaitalian, Oct 30, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
    good grief...where the hell is that troll GIF? :eek::D

17. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    #17 arizonaitalian, Oct 30, 2019
    Which one? Porsche.

if, otoh, there is actually some sincerity behind your post, folks above have been kind enough to chime in.

(fwiw, my choice in a sub-$100k Ferrari with lower maintenance cost risk would be a stick 360 coupe with at least 25k miles on it and a documented service history, ideally one that hasn't lived in Florida or the gulf coast, and with a good ppi and not bought from a corner sleazeball car seller)

daytona355 and BOKE like this.
  18. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    ummm...reading here in the 355 forum?

Asking folks that do own them what their experience has been?

or asking an experienced Ferrari mechanic?

(a 355 spyder is not going to be at the lower relative end of Ferrari maintenance risk/costs.)

daytona355 and BOKE like this.
  19. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Good post, but I have to say the cost of changing belts every three years, even with new tensioner bearings (or whatever folks like to call them) is in the $2000 range (for a full belt change, not including the annual service that is often done at the same time and is needed on both chain and belt driven cars). That's $700 per year, so hardly what can be considered "big" in the total cost of ownership of a Ferrari.

daytona355 likes this.
  20. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak

Oh, I know, but most people only think of it at as the 2k at once, they don’t average the cost out over time, hence the impression is that the cars are expensive to service. Chain drive just takes away the argument for some. I too struggle though with the guys that want the car, but can’t accept that a expensive car is more expensive to maintain than a cheap one, much as if they buy a bigger house, it costs more to run. Crazy

21. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Who the heck have you been listening to? When you ask people who have never had the ambition to do anything what success looks like, you get a different answer than if you ask a successful person. There's all kinds of crap out there about Ferrari ownership and I've seen the reasons people give why you can't possibly own a Ferrari are the reasons why they couldn't be successful in their own right.

No matter what Ferrari you buy, it WILL be expensive. That is, more expensive than a Corolla or Vette. Will it cost thousands of dollars a year to own? For most, no. CAN there be a repair that costs $10,000? Yes. You just need to be prepared for it. I did the clutch on my manual 360 last year and it cost $6400 IIRC. Will I have to do it again during my ownership? I'm not anticipating it. Maybe in 10 years or so.

When a person wants to buy a Ferrari, buy the one that sets your heart aflame just looking at it. Buy the one that your heart beats faster at the thought of driving it. If that's the 355 spyder, then that's the one you buy. Not a 430, not a 360... a 355 spyder. Because you WILL have an issue no matter which model and that passion is what helps get you through it.

Finally, know this: there are thousands of people who are on a deathbed wishing they lived a little more and bought what they really wanted. There is a point when you're in that bed, that no matter what you do, it's too late. We don't get more time, don't listen to reasons from those people who will be in that bed regretting not living life. Time is something we don't get more of in life. If you've always wanted one since you were a kid, what the **** are you waiting for? (You can always sell it if you don't like it or it's not what you expected)

22. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #22 rob lay, Oct 30, 2019
    Mondial/400 ($30-80k):

(+)
    • reasonable entry costs
    • 2+2
    • classic looks
    • in case of 400 a 12 cylinder

(-)
    • not universally loved looks
    • belts and maintenance can be expensive ($5-20k)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

308/328 ($30-100k):

(+)
    • reasonable entry costs
    • popular timeless classic looks
    • stable prices and possible appreciating
    (-)

348/355 ($40-80k):

(+)
    • fun performance
    • more modern looks
    (-)
    • maintenance can be VERY expensive ($5-40k)

360/430 ($80-100k):

(+)
    • very modern clean look
    • very good performance
    • in case of 430 chain driven, lower maintenance
    (-)
    • 360 belts and maintenance can be expensive ($10-20k)
    • 360 and especially 430's have some risk more depreciation

456/612 ($80-100k):

(+)
    • 2+2
    • clean more popular looks than past 2+2's
    • stable prices
    • good performance
    • V12's
    (-)
    • stigma of being a 2+2

California ($80-100k):

(+)
    • prices closer to bottom
    • modern performance and looks
    • similar to F12 looks hardtop
    • put the roof back beautiful spider
    (-)
    • maintenance can be expensive ($5-40k)
    • how long will these modern plastic and computerized Ferraris last?

23. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak

Great summation!

rob lay likes this.
  24. greatscott73

greatscott73 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    #24 greatscott73, Oct 31, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
    I, too, spent my entire life wanting a prancing horse in the garage. I have kicked myself numerous times for not buying my all time favorite, the 246 Dino, back when they were affordable.
    Anyway, after lasting 63 years, getting the kids' educations paid for and my wife the new house she wanted, I finally splurged on a 1987 Mondial 3.2 Cabriolet. I am well aware it is not the most loved of Ferraris, but it sounds like one, has the top that goes down, and is user friendly for a decent mechanic. I like to wrench on cars, so changing belts or a clutch doesn't scare me and should be much more affordable than paying dealer prices. Anything with a computer controlled transmission or a power top that looks like an engineering project gone awry just doesn't interest me much.
    To each their own, but I'm into this car for less than a well optioned new Camry, and I expect it will last me for how ever many years of driving I have left.

Hightower and daytona355 like this.
  25. greatscott73

greatscott73 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott